Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Turbo 35BL, Protrak or Schulze Charger >

Turbo 35BL, Protrak or Schulze Charger

Turbo 35BL, Protrak or Schulze Charger

Old 12-04-2001, 12:39 AM
Tech Adept

Good question, rcethilon!!
I think it all depends on how bad is your pack is. I know a driver who can cycle the pack to lower the IR.

Corse-R, how many cycle did you do on your test? I heard people talking about auto charge feature such as in GMVis, Yokomo as well as Schulze charger will eventually push the cell above the limit.
Any feedback??

Old 12-04-2001, 01:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by rcethilon
Then what can we do if the pack peaks at a higher voltage? Can any of the three chargers 'recondition' them?
The Schulze has a 'Rerfresh' mode charge, according to Matthias Schulze (one of the owners of Schulze Elektronik) is way different to Reflex mode charge and other so-called 'magic modes'.

I used some times with some GT-3000R with good results. After doing the cicles with refresh, you should discharge and charge with linear mode.

A higher peak voltage can be due to the fact you haven't used a pack for some time and you let 'sleep'.

To wake up these packs I make 3 cycles of charge discharge, let rest for 3 days and other three cycles, at the rate you used to charge, For Powers I use 4.0A and peak them at 5.0A.

On the YZ720-P sorry to say this, but I discovered how to use by myself, the operating instructions came in a perfectly japanese.
Old 12-04-2001, 01:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by xray
Corse-R, how many cycle did you do on your test? I heard people talking about auto charge feature such as in GMVis, Yokomo as well as Schulze charger will eventually push the cell above the limit.
Any feedback??
I did three runs with each charger, and allowing to cool off. I have heard some nasty of these 'magic modes' concretely with the GMVIS mode. It pushes too hard the cells and their life is severely affected.

A friend of mine let me to 'rematch' some RC2400 packs (7 packs) used with GMVIS to cycle, rematch and relabel with my TM4. The results were that magic mode killed the cells. With 42 cells cycled and rematched, I was able to construct only very good packs and 4 average packs, the rest was junk.

If you need good batteries, get good bateries and take care of them. Don't rely on these black magics.

For cycling and rematching I use the values given by Danny on the SMC website, it gives good results to me.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:58 AM
Tech Adept

Corse-R, as I am understand from the Schulze website, with ecoselect charger you can autocharge up to 10 Amps (using akku 1).

Do you have any experience charging up to 10 Amps?? a friend of mine told me that he charged his reedy 3000 NiMh pack with 9 amps and he likes the result. Will it hurt the pack??

Old 12-04-2001, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Corse-R, as I am understand from the Schulze website, with ecoselect charger you can autocharge up to 10 Amps (using akku 1).

Do you have any experience charging up to 10 Amps?? a friend of mine told me that he charged his reedy 3000 NiMh pack with 9 amps and he likes the result. Will it hurt the pack??
Definitely Yes! The documentation states that the charger is smart enough to detect the number of cells and the type and makes some automatic adjustments, but for the sake of my mynd, my pouch and my batteries I try to be smarter that the charger and I use rather than the 'Auto C' the 'Fix C' and limiting them to 4 or 5.5A depending on what I'm doing (charging or repeaking).
Old 12-04-2001, 09:50 PM
Tech Adept

I have always wanted to get a turbo35. Will there be some comprehensive manual inluded teaching us say, 'how to cycle a pack....?'
Old 12-05-2001, 12:36 AM
Tech Adept

I think you can get the manual from their web page!

Old 12-05-2001, 01:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

What are the dimentions of the Turbo35? In centimetres. Also how heavy is it?
Old 12-05-2001, 01:30 AM
Regional Moderator

The “Turbo” line has always been full of cutting-edge functions and features, and the new Turbo 35 BL is no different. In addition to a bold new look and easier to use software, the 35 offers:

Off-Road and Oval variable discharge modes to condition batteries
Computer serial port interface standard
Beeper: 3 modes of operation
Measures single cell voltage to .001 volts
Optional “Turbolabel” label printing program
Now with Backlit Display
Old 12-05-2001, 04:30 AM
Tech Adept

xray, plese what is the web site of turbo?
Old 12-05-2001, 04:47 AM
Regional Moderator

rcethilon : www.competitionelectronics.com
Old 12-05-2001, 07:11 AM
Tech Adept

Thank for the address Daniz!!

rcethilon, I think Turbo 35BL has some good basic features. It has 4 basic function: Charge, Discharge, Cycle and Motor Run.

I don't like the case though! light but big!

Old 12-05-2001, 08:46 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Thank for the address Daniz!!

rcethilon, I think Turbo 35BL has some good basic features. It has 4 basic function: Charge, Discharge, Cycle and Motor Run.

I don't like the case though! light but big!

Thats because of the great big heatsink it has built in. On the Protrak this heatsink is out of the unit and after discharging a pack you can fry an egg on it. With the Turbo, the case stays cool!
Old 12-05-2001, 02:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by rccarracer
What are the dimentions of the Turbo35? In centimetres. Also how heavy is it?
Anyone, come on, I need to know this.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:20 PM
Tech Adept

If you want to really, I MEAN REALLY, charge these batteries to the best performance then you need a programmable charger that will allow you to custom program or have pre programmed a mapped or voltage specific charge method.

Look at the discharge curve of a battery. The first 10% of discharge is the peak voltage down to the average voltage discharge. The voltage curve flattens out till the last 10% of the discharge cycle till the volt curve falls off quickly.

So What! right! WRONG! If you can charge the cell slower during significant voltage changes can increase the performance by packing more energy into the cell.

Don't believe me? Take a pack, run your std cycle and map the voltages vs time. (you can do this twice to get a better comparison since the second cycle will be better) then charge the pack at 2-3 amp til the voltage comes up to low average discharge voltage. then bring the current up to 5-6amps til high average discharge voltage. Finally peak at 3 amp.

Compare your discharge after this mapped type charge and look for a charger (Schultze) that can do it.

I can't tell you who told me this method, as I will propably be dead if found me coughing up his secrets.

BTW! you still have to drive the car. the charge is the little bit that may push you to a new level.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.