R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Plugs (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/16841-plugs.html)

CeleryGod 04-21-2003 07:32 PM

Plugs

Yes I know I've heard a thousand times that Tamiya plugs stink.

Would it really matter if I used Tamiya plugs though with a 17t motor? I have a hard time telling when a solder joint is "good". Guess I'm a bit lazy sometimes too =P

Also, are gold leads adequate for the motor to ESC ok for backyard bashing?

Thanks!

davioh 04-21-2003 07:34 PM

solder joints are good if the metal stuff is all shiny.

TAO4R 04-21-2003 09:59 PM

what are solder joints???:confused: :confused:

Headbanger 04-21-2003 10:11 PM

Originally posted by TAO4R
what are solder joints???:confused: :confused:
A solder joint is where the two parts you want to solder meet.

davioh 04-21-2003 11:18 PM

soldering is connecting wires with a solder! :lol:

sosidge 04-22-2003 04:25 AM

Replacing the Tamiya plugs on the battery and the bullet connectors on the motor will ALWAYS improve performance. 17 turns may not push the connectors to their limits, but more efficiency is always worth having.

Cole Trickle 04-22-2003 04:56 AM

The difference from Tamiya / bullet plugs, are quite noticable, even with 27 turns stock motors.

CRASH 04-22-2003 05:53 AM

Get yourself some good Deans connectors or something similar, then solder your wires directly to the motor. Anytime you have more plugs then needed you are robbing power from the motor and loosing runtime. It is definetly worth the investment to get rid of the Tamiya plugs and bullet plugs on the motor and get some quality connectors and soldering iron and solder.

Later,:)

popsracer 04-22-2003 08:01 AM

Plugs vs Soldering

I would not use the Tamiya plugs for anything other than a 23/27T Stock Motor. If you are serious about your racing, they are a cause of Power loss.

A 19T Motor will draw enough amps to melt a Tamiya plug, better to use something like DEANS or Power Poles that can Handle the High amp load. For a Motor less than 19T, Soldering is a must and I would not use ANY type of plugs for the Battery or Motor connections.

michael b 04-22-2003 08:17 AM

Hey guys

I did test once with some older tamiya plugs I was running. I disconnected the motor, put a bulb discharger in its place as a load and used a voltmeter to measure losses between the battery and motor. I found I was losing 2 volts at the connector. I replaced the connector with a low loss one. The 2 volts made a big difference.

racerdx6 04-24-2003 04:21 PM

Get Corally type connectors. They're the type that has a tube which gets soldered directly to the battary and then your esc wire has a piece which plugs into it. I know trinity makes some, Corally probably makes some since they came up with (hence the name corally type connectors), mabey team orion makes some too, but Im not sure :confused: . It also makes it look like you hard-wired too :D !

rccarracer 04-24-2003 06:21 PM

Corally type plugs are in my opinion the best around. The finished wiring job is very very similar to hard wiring everything, and are very low on resistance.
Must try plug!!

foampervert 04-24-2003 07:00 PM

i've got something better!

Salutations Earthlings!
i use a smaller version of the corally plug.
the tube has a internal diameter of approximately 3mm and is only abt 5 mm long. this will really tidy up your connection points.
both the male and female are gold plated and can accept up to 12 guage wire, the male plugs have holes in the side so you can do a clean 90 degree joint.
if you guys want this,
please contact me!
-FP