Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future of RC

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Me and my boys recently hooked up with a new local hobbyshop. We had the owner build an indoor 1/18th scale track. We're slowly building up new clientele. Many of the people were RC aviation guys who are now racing with us. We've just recently gone outside to race on the parking lot. We're doing it every Sunday now. Tons of people show up just to watch. Lots of them head into the hobbyshop. We also are seeing lots of kids show up who get their parents to pay for a new RTR that they can race at our place. The more experienced guys in the pits help out all the kids.....

I see products like these that have brought some new people into racing:

SPortwerks Recoil RTR

Mini-T

RC18R and B and T

Duratrax Vendetta

Carisma cars

...all of these are between 100 dollars and about 175 bucks RTR. All of them can be raced, and can be really fun.

I think Horizon has done a great job and Great Planes (vendetta).
Old 06-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm going to do something about this tomorrow. First thing I make a trip down to my local hobby shop to buy stuff. He helps sponsor our track, and I help sponsor him. From what I've seen, the local shops keep niche sports like R/C going.

Then I head out early to the track, open up the gates, set up my stuff, blow down the track. I'll pay my fees, go racing, help out somebody else, volunteer to turn marshall, hopefully heckle some people on the PA. I'll do my best to make things enjoyable and relaxing for everyone. And I'll have a blast, I love racing !!!

Next day we're supposed to have a really early work party and I'll crawl out of bed at 5am wondering ... ?!?!? What in the world I was thinking ?!?!?!

I like what Mr. Black says in his sig. I have to remember, it ain't all about me.

Let's race !!!
Old 06-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Default Media, Media, Media

Well, here's my opinion.. After somewhat getting out of the business for a couple years to make money back for all the R/C equipments I've spent. B. I've noticed something difference about this hobby.

In Tracks, Hobbyshops.
1. The more experienced drivers aren't always too eager or helpful to assist the new guys. They're too hyped up to setup their own car for the next heat rather then to give out pointers when asked. Of course not all are like that. Solutions A: Hobby shops, Race tracks should appoint some Honorary trackmasters to help out the new guys. May it be setting up the car, gluing tires, etc. I'm sure there are lots of questions but most can be answered easily by experienced RC hobbist. B. Entry fees for the newer guys should be 50% off, given them a chance to take advantage and learn the curves.

ROAR, IFMAR,
Non profit organizations should consult with major city planners to possibly set up local track near around cityhall lots. Share cost with ROAR, IFMAR etc. In terms, Manufacturers should absorb a substantial amount of the charges in order to get approvals for selling the products. (Alot of the manufacturerers will say , Hey! there goes my profit!, without actually realizing it'll help the whole industry as a whole with more sales from newly developed Hobbyist.

ROAR, IFMAR, Etc. should appeal to state for media fundings, look into government grants and approvals. One comes into mind is the Textile act. It'll allow better exposure with apparels for the hobby. Once it catches on, Fashion giants will want to step into this market. (Its what the Skateboarding has done for their hobby. ),

Get media exposures with major networks. Created an X-GAME type competition hosted by ROAR, IFMAR. ETC. Buy the time to air at the start with funds from manufacturers and government grants.

Manufacturers should offer job placements thru accredited colleges. Have universal parts.

Well, all the said and done part above wouldn't work if our ROAR or IFMAR is broke and no one is willing to come up with the funding for such an event. DO NOT blame the media for not airing our hobby because there are no viewers, or the time slots are too expensive. DO NOT blame the video game industry for spoiling our kids with super fun console systems that hooks upto our HDTV or those wireless thingamajig that are super cool to wield around. Just look at what Skateboarding has done to the industry? or Soccer has done to Sports. 1. There are more skate shops then ever! even the internet is helping skaters and manufacturers alike. 2. There are more soccer balls sold then PS2s in the pas two years. Kids ARE going outside and playing!. 3. People are more educated, more technical then ever these last 10 years. Putting together a car or soldering up some wire is alot easier for people today then it was 10 years ago skill-wise It is not an excuse that RC is confusing as people are learning things at a faster pace. All comes down to funding and willingness to promote this industry. I see people spending 2k every year just so they can have the BESTest computer so they can play online games and shoot other online players. People are Competitve and with the right promotion, ideas and fundings. We CAN revive this hobby and make everyone who contributed both in money or time worthwhile.

(fineprint: above is based solely on my own speculative opinion and not the general viewers opinion. Veiwer's descretion is advised. )
Old 06-15-2007, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EricW
FYI: A boat is nothing more than a hole in the ocean you pour money into.
yea i know, but then what are my rc cars? the hole on my bench that i throw money at? i have better than $1200 in my tourer including support equipment, that i have to drive an hour to race (gas), $15 to enter, $30 for tires + parts + maintenance.... all the while leave my wife and two kids are at home... it's just an illustration of the choices even the MOST dedicated of us have to make.. look, you have to LOVE this to do it.. or just plain have money and time to burn...
Old 06-15-2007, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Slower or more durable cars would be good. We have encouraged a lot of the new people to get a TA05 which is pretty much indestructable and the new people are much happier. At our club races it has been the best year in 3 years. Electric TC has more then doubled in size from year 1 to 2 and almost doubled again in year 3. This year we are running just two classes. Sportsman which is pretty much anything goes except for a spec rubber tire. Any motor or battery. But we have a breakout time based on a stock motor going down the middle of the track. If a racer goes over that time then the lap doesnt count. Get enough of those and it encourages them to move up to the Pro class. The Pro class is 19T or 10.5 nimh or lipo batteries, rubber tires. Everyone is happy and have a lot of fun.

The biggest thing helping get people into the hobby now I believe is LIPO batteries. We have about 5 racers that purchased just 1 battery to keep cost down and are very happy.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maj. Teeth
Well, here's my opinion.. After somewhat getting out of the business for a couple years to make money back for all the R/C equipments I've spent. B. I've noticed something difference about this hobby.

In Tracks, Hobbyshops.
1. The more experienced drivers aren't always too eager or helpful to assist the new guys. They're too hyped up to setup their own car for the next heat rather then to give out pointers when asked. Of course not all are like that. Solutions A: Hobby shops, Race tracks should appoint some Honorary trackmasters to help out the new guys. May it be setting up the car, gluing tires, etc. I'm sure there are lots of questions but most can be answered easily by experienced RC hobbist. B. Entry fees for the newer guys should be 50% off, given them a chance to take advantage and learn the curves.

ROAR, IFMAR,
Non profit organizations should consult with major city planners to possibly set up local track near around cityhall lots. Share cost with ROAR, IFMAR etc. In terms, Manufacturers should absorb a substantial amount of the charges in order to get approvals for selling the products. (Alot of the manufacturerers will say , Hey! there goes my profit!, without actually realizing it'll help the whole industry as a whole with more sales from newly developed Hobbyist.

ROAR, IFMAR, Etc. should appeal to state for media fundings, look into government grants and approvals. One comes into mind is the Textile act. It'll allow better exposure with apparels for the hobby. Once it catches on, Fashion giants will want to step into this market. (Its what the Skateboarding has done for their hobby. ),

Get media exposures with major networks. Created an X-GAME type competition hosted by ROAR, IFMAR. ETC. Buy the time to air at the start with funds from manufacturers and government grants.

Manufacturers should offer job placements thru accredited colleges. Have universal parts.

Well, all the said and done part above wouldn't work if our ROAR or IFMAR is broke and no one is willing to come up with the funding for such an event. DO NOT blame the media for not airing our hobby because there are no viewers, or the time slots are too expensive. DO NOT blame the video game industry for spoiling our kids with super fun console systems that hooks upto our HDTV or those wireless thingamajig that are super cool to wield around. Just look at what Skateboarding has done to the industry? or Soccer has done to Sports. 1. There are more skate shops then ever! even the internet is helping skaters and manufacturers alike. 2. There are more soccer balls sold then PS2s in the pas two years. Kids ARE going outside and playing!. 3. People are more educated, more technical then ever these last 10 years. Putting together a car or soldering up some wire is alot easier for people today then it was 10 years ago skill-wise It is not an excuse that RC is confusing as people are learning things at a faster pace. All comes down to funding and willingness to promote this industry. I see people spending 2k every year just so they can have the BESTest computer so they can play online games and shoot other online players. People are Competitve and with the right promotion, ideas and fundings. We CAN revive this hobby and make everyone who contributed both in money or time worthwhile.

(fineprint: above is based solely on my own speculative opinion and not the general viewers opinion. Veiwer's descretion is advised. )
These are all good ideas, but have you ever tried to put them into practice?

You can't compare skateboarding to RC. What do you need to get into skateboarding? A skateboard! That's it! (maybe helmet and kneepads) And what's the competition? You're not going to be Tony Hawk the first time out, you have to work your way up. So you're really only competeing against yourself, trying to beat yourself to get better. Then you compare where you are with everyone else.

The amount of money you need to do some of these things is astronomical. More money than half the RC companies have put together.

And getting money from the government? We can't even get an unwanted piece of land to build a track. ANd believe me as soon as that track is built they will have their hand out.

Before you can go promoting, you must have a product to promote. RC racing as it exists today isn't selling.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 1fastdude
What is it going to take to get more people (racers) in this hobby. :
-safe lipo packs, so a newb doesn't have to spend a ton of money to get started..........
Old 06-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 1fastdude

Keep the paid and 100 percent sponsored racers in mod only!

Flame - on
.....yup, get the sandbaggin' "stock" racers out and let noobs race stock.........nothing like spending all your money only to have your ass handed to you every time you show up.......i know, i started 1/8th on road this year......
Old 06-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

WELL FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN IN OVAL RACING, THE BIGGEST KILLER FOR KIDS STARTING INTO THE HOBBY IS THE LACK OF EFFORT PUT INTO RACING BY THE KID.

EXAMPLE: I STARTED BACK INTO OVAL RACING LAST YEAR. SHORTLY THEREAFTER A GOOD FRIEND AND HIS SON CAME OVER AND SAW MY SETUP. HIS SON ( 14 ) IMMEDIATELY WANTED ONE AND WANTED TO START RACING. $200 AND A WEEK LATER THEY HAD A BOLINK LEGEND AND WERE READY TO RACE. RADIO, CAR, CHARGER, BATTERIES, ETC. RIGHT FROM THE START THE KID WANTED NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PREPARATION OF THE CAR, HE JUST WANTED TO RACE. IN OTHER WORDS, DAD WAS LEFT TO PREP AND TOOL ON THE CAR IF IT NEEDED IT. I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT A 4 SECOND B/L CLASS, I AM TALKING AN 8 SECOND LEGENDS BREAKOUT CLASS. THE SIMPLEST, CHEAPEST WAY TO RACE THAT I KNOW OF. CLEAN THE TIRES AND CHARGE THE BATTERIES BETWEEN ROUNDS AND THAT IS THE BULK OF IT UNLESS YOU REALLY CRASH SOMETHING UP. AND THE KID DIDN'T WANT TO PUT FORTH THE EFFORT TO DO THAT.

POINT: VIDEO GAMES ARE PLUG AND PLAY. I AM 27 AND HAVE A PS2 LAYING ON TOP OF A 44" BIG SCREEN RIGHT NOW. WITH 4 INCHES OF DUST ON IT FROM NOT BEING PLAYED IN OVER A YEAR. OR SINCE I STARTED BACK INTO R/C RACING. SO I KNOW THE EXTENT OF EFFORT IT TAKES TO DO BOTH. A GAME REQUIRES THE LEAST AMOUNT OF EFFORT PHYSICALLY. PLAY, EAT, PLAY, POOP OR PEE, PLAY, REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT...... NOT MUCH THERE. AND THEY WONDER WHY KIDS ARE FAT ASSES !!!!

I AM NOT SAYING EVERY KID IN AMERICA IS LAZY AND LACKS THE MOTIVATION TO GET INTO THE HOBBY BUT, UNLESS THEY HAVE THE "WANT" OR "INTEREST" TO GET INTO SOMETHING MORE CHALLENGING, YOU WILL NEVER PRY THEM AWAY FROM THE MANY SCREENS SOCIETY OFFERS TODAY. TV, CABLE OR SATELLITE , PC'S, AND VIDEO GAMES. THERE IS TOO MUCH OUT THERE WITH MINIMAL PHYSICAL EXERCISE TO GET KIDS TO COME OUTSIDE IN THE FUN AND SUN AND PARTICIPATE.

AND UNLESS THAT PATH IS ALTERED OR THE KID GROWS TIRED OF ALL THE STUFF HE CAN DO FROM HIS OWN HOME, THAT KID WILL GROW UP AND HAVE THE SAME ADULT LIFESTYLE.

I HAVE SEEN IT AT LEAST ONCE A MONTH AT THE TRACK AND I FEAR IT WILL CONTINUE THIS WAY. NEEDLESS TO SAY MY FRIEND AND HIS SON'S R/C DAYS WERE SHORT LIVED. DAD GOT TIRED OF THE ARGUING THAT TOOK PLACE WHEN THE KID LOST, AS DID I. AND THE KID ALWAYS WANTED TO RUN THE CAR AS FAST AS HE COULD NO MATTER WHAT THE BREAKOUT TIME WAS. HE WANTED TO RUN A "FERRARI" RACE WITH A "PINTO", LOL LOL !!

AND AS FAR AS SLOWER CARS, LIPO'S ,BRUSHLESS, AND TRYING TO MAKE GETTING STARTED CHEAPER, WE HAVE TOO MANY AVAILABLE RESOURCES FOR SOMEONE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE HIGH PRICES OF GETTING STARTED. WHEN I BOUGHT BACK IN, ALL MY STUFF CAME FROM THIS SITE, E BAY, AND SEVERAL OTHER TRADE BOARDS. AFTER THAT, I STARTED BUYING THE WEEKLY STUFF I NEEDED FROM MY LHS. BUT EVEN OUR TRACK OPERATOR WILL SUGGEST BUYING SOMETHING USED ONLINE BEFORE BUYING NEW. THAT WAY IF YOU DECIDE TO QUIT BEFORE YOU GET STARTED OR BREAK SOMETHING RIGHT FROM THE START, THE LOSS WON'T BE AS GREAT. BUT I AM TALKING ABOUT GETTING INTO THE HOBBY ON THE ENTRY LEVEL.

NOW I KNOW THIS DOESN'T APPLY TO OPEN SPEED CLASSES. BUT ANYONE THAT THINKS THEY CAN WALK INTO A LHS AND SPEND $100 AND WALK OUT, LAY DOWN THAT CAR, AND BEAT THE TRACK ACE NEEDS TO SPEND THAT $100 WITH A PSYCHOLOGIST CAUSE THEY ARE CRAZY !! TO GO FAST AND STAY FAST TAKES MONEY. THAT APPLIES TO EVERYTHING THAT INVOLVES SPEED AND RACING.

I AM WELL AWARE I WON'T WIN EVERY WEEK. I TRY TO, BUT WINNING EVERY WEEK WOULD BECOME BORING TO ME. THAT JUST MEANS YOU HAVE SURPASSED EVERY CLUB DRIVER AND THE COMPETITION AT YOUR LOCAL TRACK IS NO LONGER A THREAT. ALWAYS KEEPING NEW PEOPLE COMING IN MEANS ALWAYS HAVING UP AND COMING DRIVERS TO CHALLENGE. PLUS, IT CAN BECOME DISCOURAGING TO OTHER SEASONED DRIVERS IF THERE IS ONE VETERAN OUT THERE EVERY WEEK TEARING YOU UP. FOR ME THAT PRESENTS A CHALLENGE. TO ME, THAT ONE VETERAN DRIVER HAS PUT A BULLSEYE ON HIS BACK AND HE IS THE SINGLE REASON I SPEND ALL DAY GETTING THAT EXTRA COUPLE TENTHS OUT OF MY CAR. ALL PART OF THE FUN.

MARCEL
Old 06-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by outlandr91
I work part time in a hobby shop and I would estimate 90% of our customers are bashers.Their idea of racing is driving against their buddies in an open parking lot.When a customer finds out the nearest track is one hour away, they wrinkle their nose and state it's too far.
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
And there is nothing wrong with the basher! I consider them part of what I labeled as an "enthusiast"...someone who does it more than one time and who might put more energy into it

At the Hobby store I work at we have about 20 people show up and race on saturday and about twice as mutch on sunday to Bash more want to bash and most of them have better stuff then the racers.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ok, I am a newbie, so maybe my thoughts have interest....

I bought an 18B because I wanted to learn this hobby, meet great people, and have fun racing. Of course, there is no place to run 1/18 off road here, but I saw some guys running on road.....so I talk to them a little while. They are extremely helpful. I buy an 18R to get started. Now I also have a Recoil which will be tweaked while the 18R stays mostly stock. Yes, I will get a 1/10 soon, but whatever happened to my 18B? well, I discovered that if you change the axles to 18R axles, and run 18R wheels and factory rubber tires, the 18B becomes an open wheel F1/Indy car type of car that stays up with 19T-motor 1/10 sedans.....and that is with the stock motor that comes with the 18B RTR.......fun? You bet.....expensive? nope....so the best way for new racers is not really 1/10 but with an 18R, or maybe a Recoil.......ready to race for under $300.

How do we get more people racing? Well, I have a lot of ideas, but I also have the experience in building and running these types of clubs. I run one of the largest shooting clubs in defensive shooting...and we always encourage new shooters. To transfer over the ideas are simple. Any racers here near an Outdoor World/Bass pro Shops? They frequently have Car Shows in their parking lot.....and I am sure they would love to have your club hold a demo race, maybe even let some people give it a try. How do I know? I already asked my local Bass Pro Shops.....you talk to their Promotions Coordinator and they have no reason to say no......trust me.

Malls? Some will let you set up at no charge since you aren't selling anything.....they may even let you run, but at the least have a booth with video and some cars for people to look at....just make sure the people at your booth are friendly and helpful.

I have plenty of more ideas, but since I have been up for about 20 hours, I think I will get to bed...need to be up in about 4 hours.....
Old 06-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Tech Initiate

To encourage more people to race/take up the hobby, i think clubs should have open days every few months or so where people can come and watch, learn and even try out an rc car on the track for free.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

EXAMPLE: I STARTED BACK INTO OVAL RACING LAST YEAR. SHORTLY THEREAFTER A GOOD FRIEND AND HIS SON CAME OVER AND SAW MY SETUP. HIS SON ( 14 ) IMMEDIATELY WANTED ONE AND WANTED TO START RACING. $200 AND A WEEK LATER THEY HAD A BOLINK LEGEND AND WERE READY TO RACE. RADIO, CAR, CHARGER, BATTERIES, ETC. RIGHT FROM THE START THE KID WANTED NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PREPARATION OF THE CAR, HE JUST WANTED TO RACE.

This is not uncommon and even for my son whos 12 there are somethings I just dont want him to do wrenching wise on his revo. Setting up any kind of car takes time, patience and wheel time, I know I just got the Losi type R and it will take me time to get to the point that Im satisfied but every week my car and my driving improve. I use this example with my son and it encourages him to take an interest in what the revo is doing and then we will go over settings that will solve some of his problems, this gives him confidence, so all in all a lot has to do with the way in which you present the hobby to youngsters.

I agree with the earlier comment however in that game consoles are "On demand" and that why the kids like them so much...........
Old 06-15-2007, 11:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Here's a brief story of why I believe R/C isn't growing much if at all: My roommate found the joys of tinkering with cars a while back ,thanks in part to my ramblings on all things motorsports. It was no surprise then when he started to play video games like Gran Turismo and Forza, all the while asking me for setup advice. He's getting good, gaining instinctual reactions to common racing mishaps. After watching him develop those skills I asked the obvious question, "How about you try racing r/c cars instead of imaginary cars?" Once he found out how expensive it would be to aquire the absolute bare neccessities to race a stock sedan the gig was up. He sat back down in front of the ever-problematic xBox 360 and went on enjoying his imaginary racing.

Cost! I am now a firm believer that newbies will stay with the racing side of our hobby longer if they can get on the track cheaper and compete against similar people. Stock sedan is not the answer. Sedan itself, may not be the answer.

The more I think about this, the more I like the look and price of the Tamiya Championship Series. It's got structure, rules, realism, and no sponsored drivers! Sounds perfect for the newbies.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:06 PM
Tech Regular

this is just my two cents
i feel that if we really want to bring more people in we need to advertise as said before.
There still need to be RTR's, most companys for the on road have gone away from that idea. The idea of the T2R and the cyclone S are awsome thoughts they are cheap ways to get started.
On the theory of battery... the best way to slow cars down is to limit the amount of mha. these batteries make it so that you can turn your mod motors way up and even your stocks and 19t. its sad when we used to be able to run 5 min in mod on 3300 and now people still dump with 4200's that is crazy. Another way that you could limit the batteries is the voltage. say that no pack could be rated over say 1.200 or something like that. batteries that are rated at 1.239 are crazy! There is no need for a 5 or 4 cell change. if you can not live through stock with out breaking constantly with 6 cell dont bump up to 19t, if you cant make it through 19t dont bump up to mod. this will make it so that people stay racing with their level.
Motor class's are a good idea. The idea of stock is great to learn the car. but arent we dividing them up a little to far. there is a stock foam stock rubber 19t foam 19t rubber and the list goes on. stock should be ran on rubber, so you can learn the car its self. 19t foam the car is faster slightly and you can learn foam tires. a little bit of a step up. mod that class has no limitation's. that is the way it should be. those are the worlds greatest drivers. why would the worlds greatest drivers be limited?
Also what ever happend to novice class's? at my local shop people dont want to have the lable of "novice" so they jump right into the stock class. This then lets them get beaten horibly and then they try it twice and then give up because they are no good. Every track should have a novice class available!
Sponsored drivers.... sposored drivers should not be running stock! rubber or foam we all know that you are way faster then all of us! you are gettin parts cheaper, motors and the list goes on for miles! its not fair that the kid that is kinda fast goes to his big race and sees full blown sponsored guys running 4 seconds faster then he is! that is where you loose your young blood! they become embaresed to be beat that badly! if you are fully sponsored you should have the supplies to run mod or even 19t! just not stock!
this is just my thought you dont have to agree with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.