Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5 cell Stock for the ROAR Onroad Nat's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 07:39 AM
Tech Legend

No need for Li-Po !!!?

By the end of summer a very large percentage of racer`s here in the states will have already switch to Li-Po ...

This fact alone should show that if you wish to create a new class , design it so most of the racer`s will race in the class..

Racer`s are not buying 5 cell pack`s or even ditching one cell off their 6 cell packs....

So
doubt that even the Europeans will stay 5 cell all that much longer ....
Old 06-17-2007, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

Not one racer from the reedy race complained about 5 cell....... And they even were pushing the issue of getting a 5 cell mod class for the outdoor nats.

The fact remains.... the races are 5 minutes long.

Also what about 12th scale. 12th scale has gained more intrest in the past year and a half than anything in onroad. No one has lipo packs that are safe for 12th scale. So are you saying everyone will need to get lipos for touring and then run nimh packs for 12th scale ? I am sure most guys will want to stick to buying and running one type of cell(s) for the time being. Everyone knows lipo is the future of rc.... but it just isnt time for lipo to become the power source of electric rc.

There has to be a few things to happen.... for example to warrent going to lipo the time of the qualifiers and mains would have to be bumped up a substantial amount say from 5 minutes to say 10 minutes. More time on the track is great..... but then how many hours does that add to the nationals events? IIC and Snowbirds both allow a huge amount of driver to experience the ultimate in competition and away from the track fun ... are these races going to be a week long then? I dont think there is enough vacation time in a persons year to get all that time off. Another example is if they dont increase the time of the quals and mains why bother going to lipo right now. We already come off the track with more than enough power left in the cells to go a few minutes more ( 1 to 2 ) and if running a brushless we can already run 10 minutes strong.

I personally feel that 5 cell brushless might become the future ( next roar desicion time ) cause going 5 cell and running brushless in stock/19t/mod will allow for longer quals and mains if they go that route. But then within say 3 years lipo brushless . I just dont think it is time for lipo. But i am not arguing that it is or is not the future.

Last edited by wallstreet; 06-17-2007 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

WHY THE Fruck is everything a damn Lipo vs nimh conquest.

I have been seeing these stupid arguments everwhere, some one please suspend these guys.

We know f-ing lipo is here and catching on already we all know this , but you stupid idiots are the one's geting everyone botherd about it because you turn everything into a damn lipo cruisade. Plus most of all the fast guys are already tested or testing for lipo. Which really doesnt matter because this is a thread about trying out 5 cells at a national where lipo is not allowed. Unless you have something to contribute about 5 cell which you dont SHUT THE HELL UP!

Sorry to all the innocent bystanders I have had enough of these guys, its the same crap all the time even when lipo isnt part of the picture..

Guys here in Florida have been running 5 cell brushless in mod since the begining of the year , and have not switched back to six cell. Cars run cooler and wear tires less. It seems to also made the class grow from 5 guys to 25. I say go ahead and try it the main benifit is that you'll carry more corner speed.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallstreet
6 cell packs and brushed motors can beat lipo / 13.5 systems now so why not a 5 cell brushed motor or brushless motor do the same. There is no need for lipo. Ask syndrome ..... Bill Sydor runs 6 cell packs and brushed motors.
Sydor wins because he's a better driver. My 13.5/LiPo car (at legal weight) generally looks a tad faster out of the corners, and about the same on the straights. It also holds its speed much better during the duration of the entire race. It's very apparent in the last minute or so as his motors heat up and batteries fade. It's usually still not enough for me to beat him. More practice is the answer to that problem, not equipment. :-)

That said, I don't think it would be much different if I were running a new 4200 pack. The current generation of LiPo match up really well with 6 cell 4200's for club racing. It's actually really nice right now, since we can run them together without upsetting anybody, and give people choices. If the NiMH guys went to 5 cell, it could upset that balance and choice we currently have in the clubs. That would be a bad thing. Don't take away options. 5 cell takes away the option of LiPo and brushed motors in mod. There's nothing good about that.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speedxl

I have been seeing these stupid arguments everwhere, some one please suspend these guys.

We know f-ing lipo is here and catching on already we all know this , but you stupid idiots are the one's geting everyone botherd about it because you turn everything into a damn lipo cruisade. Plus most of all the fast guys are already tested or testing for lipo. Which really doesnt matter because this is a thread about trying out 5 cells at a national where lipo is not allowed. Unless you have something to contribute about 5 cell which you dont SHUT THE HELL UP!

Sorry to all the innocent bystanders I have had enough of these guys, its the same crap all the time even when lipo isnt part of the picture..

Guys here in Florida have been running 5 cell brushless in mod here since the beging of the year all have not switched back to six cell. Cars run cooler and wear tires less. It seems to also make the class grow from 5 guys to 25. I say go ahead and try it the main benifit is that you'll carry more corner speed.
I agree with you Hector ,our mod class in Florida has grown since switching to 5 cells , its faster and easier to control. I even tried out 5 cells with the 10.5 and it was just as fast if not faster than the guys running the 10.5 with 6 cells ,even geared at a 4.6fdr with the 10.5 (5 cells)the motor never came off the track over 120 degress, and more corner speed
Old 06-17-2007, 09:30 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by speedxl

Guys here in Florida have been running 5 cell brushless in mod since the begining of the year , and have not switched back to six cell. Cars run cooler and wear tires less. It seems to also made the class grow from 5 guys to 25. I say go ahead and try it the main benifit is that you'll carry more corner speed.
LOL. I could see the veins bulging from your head half way across the country.

Your little temper tantrum isn't going to solve anything. It's nice to know people here would be happy to censor opinions they don't agree with, though.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

marcos, is it the less weight of the 5 cells that makes it faster, or the lower voltage?
Old 06-17-2007, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tallyrc
marcos, is it the less weight of the 5 cells that makes it faster, or the lower voltage?
i go my car to weigh 1458 grams with the body with 5 cells i dont feel that much power loss with one less cell but the car is so much easier to drive and i feel that it handles alot better due to less weight
Old 06-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

you occasionally run lipo too right? what does it weigh bare bones (no added weight) with a lipo in it?
Old 06-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tallyrc
you occasionally run lipo too right? what does it weigh bare bones (no added weight) with a lipo in it?
no lipo for me
Old 06-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
LOL. I could see the veins bulging from your head half way across the country.

Your little temper tantrum isn't going to solve anything. It's nice to know people here would be happy to censor opinions they don't agree with, though.
Your opinions should be in threads they directly relate to. This thread is about 5 cell not lipo...what don't you understand about that???
Old 06-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Josh H
Your opinions should be in threads they directly relate to. This thread is about 5 cell not lipo...what don't you understand about that???
5 cell is a bad idea. It takes away several options and solves nothing. It causes more problems than it supposedly fixes.

There, I talked about 5 cell. And, lo, I said exactly the same thing as before, in fewer words, without mentioning the other options by name, and now it fits in completely with the thread police guidelines. See what I did there?
Old 06-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by syndr0me
5 cell is a bad idea. It takes away several options and solves nothing. It causes more problems than it supposedly fixes.

There, I talked about 5 cell. And, lo, I said exactly the same thing as before, in fewer words, without mentioning the other options by name, and now it fits in completely with the thread police guidelines. See what I did there?
im wondering why is it a bad idea?? if your motor and esc run cooler,your tires last longer,and your car is faster and handles better, why not run it??
Old 06-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
im wondering why is it a bad idea?? if your motor and esc run cooler,your tires last longer,and your car is faster and handles better, why not run it??
what problems does 5 cell cause??
Old 06-17-2007, 06:02 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
what problems does 5 cell cause??
See, this will drag me back into talking about the other things, and then I'll be lynched, suspended and censored. I've already mentioned it in this thread a while back, so I'll let it rest.

Hold your 5 cells tight, guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.