Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shaft Vs. Belt drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

Post Shaft Vs. Belt drive

Alright everyone, we all love to race and we all have preferences, but when it comes down to it, what really makes a better car? Shaft, or belt drive?
There is no flatout answer but they definitlydominate certain fields.

Shaft drive seems to be best for 4WD off-road vehicles, because of the acceleration benefits it offers, and you dont usually get to your top speed when off-roading. Off road also bounces stuff around, and if you have seen the chain come off of a bicycle, you know where im going with this.

But dont start sending me hate mail about hating belt cars, in fact, my first car, the Traxxas 4-tec was belt driven. Belt drive seems to offer a little more top end, (whereas shaft drive does acceleration) which makes it ideal for touring cars. Especially on large flowing tracks.

I want to hear what you have to say beause imput from other drivers is important to me as I am in my first year of competitive racing. Give me your opinions! Ill look at every one!
Old 04-25-2007, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

do a search for the subject. there is about a million threads on this topic... its been debated to the end.. You will get alot more info from those threads...
Just use keywords shaft or belt..
Old 04-25-2007, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

......................................__................................................
.............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,..........................................
.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
...............,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll..................................
.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll................................
..............lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,...........................
...............lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................
................llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-..*`*;..)..........................
.................,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................
..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/...................
................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*....................
................|.../.../.../.*`..............................)....)¯`~,..................
................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---........../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,
...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../....................
................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|......................
...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,...................
......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..................
Old 04-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

As a dude that has probably ran this to the ground, I must say that belts are better. Until recently, I was the Pro4 king. Just started running the Cyclone( second time around) and I must say that not only is it smoother, but is on absolute rails going into and coming out of turns. The Pro4 is very good, but the Cyclone is better. Not to mention, working on the car is a dream. Wayyyy to many screws to remove when gettting to the diffs and more parts intersecting, meaning friction with shaft cars. Everyone knows that friction means loss of speed. Belts, to my recent discovery are baby butt, butter smooth. My Pro4 will still be a banger, but only when the Cyclone is out of commission.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

belts rock!!!

just look at what has been winning all the big races lately and no its not just the cyclone im talking about belt driven cars. Even associated went to belt driven cars.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beta bob
belts rock!!!

just look at what has been winning all the big races lately and no its not just the cyclone im talking about belt driven cars. Even associated went to belt driven cars.
time and place for each....

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...7&postcount=93

here... read on.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

shaftys are suppoed to have torque steer... belts dont, imo belt all the way! much more simple, smooth, did i say simple? lol
Old 04-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
......................................__................................................
.............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,..........................................
.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
...............,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll..................................
.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll................................
..............lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,...........................
...............lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................
................llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-..*`*;..)..........................
.................,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................
..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/...................
................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*....................
................|.../.../.../.*`..............................)....)¯`~,..................
................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---........../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,
...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../....................
................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|......................
...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,...................
......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..................
I feel the same way.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Tech Addict

I like both but shaft is abit better maintainance wise and faster out the gate, I love belt drive too but in a all out drag race I will run against any belt drive against my shaft drive any day any time.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

That is impressive
Old 04-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by trjracing
I feel the same way.
But I feel this way about this topic, We been here before, and it makes no sense too drag this topic on. Everyone has there own personal preference and we should leave it at that. It would be a never ending battle.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ford_racing
That is impressive
Yes, That is...
Old 04-26-2007, 07:41 AM
Tech Regular

dude! nice graphics,
I agree, although you seem to have way to much time on your hands. Just kidding!!1
Old 04-26-2007, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nagatahawk
dude! nice graphics,
I agree, although you seem to have way to much time on your hands. Just kidding!!1
i got it from futureal
Old 04-26-2007, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.