Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FK05 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What if I use a FK04 topdeck and a '007 stering arm putting the top deck as low as it will go. The FK04 topdeck wontbe in the way of the motor and leaving NO MODIFICATION!!!!!!!!!!!! witch would be very good for most people.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Smile go for it

seems like a good idea. doing this, now that i think about it, might affect the cg enough to matter. lowering it that much would make the cg equivelent to lowering the car itself about 1.5mm, and i think that could make a noticable difference in performance. if practicle, i would do that. if the chassis flex is still similar, the car should be a bit faster. i'd go for it.

- viper55
Old 08-18-2007, 03:30 PM
Tech Initiate

hate to double post, but how's the progress?

- viper55
Old 08-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by viper55
come on, stampede. the mod could rock! besides, my post wasn't saying the mod would suck, just that the cg may be lower, but not enought to matter.

besides, since the cg change doesn't affect much, only a little could change, and even if you end up with a car that was better stock, you tried it, it didn't work well, but it was something new and now you know something about lowering the topdeck.

plus, id say there's a decent chance of it rocking or being the same performance, and that means it could be better easily.

also, it's not like you can't switch back to the old deck any time, right?

- viper55
Gotcha here smart kid! Lowering the top deck will change the performance, it will flex more, giving a more consistent car.
Originally Posted by Branden Moody
What if I use a FK04 topdeck and a '007 stering arm putting the top deck as low as it will go. The FK04 topdeck wontbe in the way of the motor and leaving NO MODIFICATION!!!!!!!!!!!! witch would be very good for most people.
Pictures?
Old 08-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Tech Regular

its going to be soon with a 007 sterring arm its ready to go just have to find a time when the shop is open.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Tech Regular

Ok next week end we are going to make the first set of front ones ill get pictures of how they look.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Mods

Good luck with testing. I hate to put a spanner in vipers ideas but he is wrong about your mod not making enough difference to matter. All changes to a cars geometry make a difference. How much depends not only the mod but on how many other set up changes are done combined with the mod.
Lower the top deck, bulkheads etc is not like lowering the ride height. Lowering the ride height alters many characteristics among them air flow under the car which has a marked influence on the cars handling. A good example is full scale racing where nothing more than 1mm change in ride height can in some circumstances make a car almost undriveable.
Please keep us updated.

Dont get me wrong, the kid is obviously very bright but needs a bit more experience. It wiil come. It is young, thinking people like viper, that can make a difference to the future of engineering.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Team Ash
Good luck with testing. I hate to put a spanner in vipers ideas but he is wrong about your mod not making enough difference to matter. All changes to a cars geometry make a difference. How much depends not only the mod but on how many other set up changes are done combined with the mod.
Lower the top deck, bulkheads etc is not like lowering the ride height. Lowering the ride height alters many characteristics among them air flow under the car which has a marked influence on the cars handling. A good example is full scale racing where nothing more than 1mm change in ride height can in some circumstances make a car almost undriveable.
Please keep us updated.

Dont get me wrong, the kid is obviously very bright but needs a bit more experience. It wiil come. It is young, thinking people like viper, that can make a difference to the future of engineering.
Well just have to see

but my thought is there is going to be less mass up above (not too major) including the aluminum in the bulk heads and top deck. This will also alter the flex of the chassis giving it more rear grip on high bite tracks and more equil flex from side to side in the rear by losing the motor mount screw. It will also use the 007 stering arm giving you more ankerman options. I also the motor will be pulled out posibly making a more ballenced car by my design I think they will be lighter too. Most of these are observations at this point but will be tested soon.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

I do see what you guys are talking about though but it will offer more opions than just lowering the top deck.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Tech Regular

there will be no progress this weekend the machine broke and there is going to be a technican coming out next week