Wiki Posts
Search

New Sensor Based Hacker Brushless Motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
The original sensored motors were designed to mimic the "feel" and operation of brush motors. Novak felt that this would allow a more seamless transition from brush to brushless technology.

Sensorless had too many problems with low-speed driveability and hesitation to be accepted in a racing environment.

I would have to say tha the original SS series of motor was the farthest thing from a brushed motor that I have ever driven!!
Old 06-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kufman
I forgot to mention, this startup problem is more defined when using ROAR motors since they are not designed to work well with a sensorless controller. The motor design rules do not lend themselves to the use of a sensorless system.

Besides which, if you are crashing hard enough to stop your car more than once per run, you are not going to win anyway.
I guess sensorless are perfect if you don't crash and don't need low-speed driveabilty, otherwise any problems will be a disadvantage when racing against sensored motors.

Sensorless even with the best programming cannot be as good as sensored for the best low-speed control and driveability. It will be interesting to see which wins most on the track and which is favoured most amongst drivers.

BTW nice to see another new and 'different' sensored motor in the brushless market, with knowledge and experience behind the design.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Low speed is a relative term. There haven't been too many times that I have needed to drive at crawler type speeds in a sedan race. The only time I have ever had a problem with a crash is when i am nose first into the boards in which case I needed a turn marshal anyway. Sensors wouldn't have helped!

I am sure Hacker would have made a new and "different" motor had the rules allowed some room for their type of motor.