Wiki Posts
Search

plugs or melt on the motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 08:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default plugs or melt on the motor?

hey everyone,
is it better for the motor to be welded or whatever on rather than plugs?
Old 04-17-2003, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Default To solder or not

A GOOD solder joint is better than plugs, a BAD solder joint is worthless.
For Stock racing, a 'Deans' or similar plug on the Motor and batteries is acceptable. For a Modified Motor, I would ONLY solder because of the much higher amp draws involved.
I would NOT use any of the plugs that come with some Motors, for racing of any type.

Last edited by popsracer; 04-17-2003 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

oh okay...thanks...i soldered already. makes the car look neater
Old 04-17-2003, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

I race in stock and I prefer good quality plugs, since it's much easier to maintain the motor and switch between different motors.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

i don't hav many motors....so i decided to solder...and my wires were getting in the way...now it looks really neat. i'll get a pic soon maybe.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:46 PM
Tech Regular

Rule of Thumb:
NEVER ever use original Tamiya plugs either on the motor to ESC or the Tamiya battery connectors with MODIFIED motors.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:48 PM
Tech Adept

I find soldering more convenient when you have AC available. I used plugs last season when I raced outside. I had AC from a power inverter that ran from my truck and it didn't have enough AC to run both my power supply for charging and the iron. This year I am going to buy a bigger inverter and I will be soldering.

As long as you use a quality plug like the Deans or Trinity (Corally), you won't notice any performance decrease. Absolutely stay away from the Tamiya and bullet style connectors. These just have too much resistance and will cause problems. In my early days of racing, I melted a Tamiya plug together so badly that the only fix was to cut the wires.

Jeff Gilligan
Old 04-17-2003, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i use gold banana plugs.
they are simple and cheaper than deans and they're always cool(meaning low resistance)
but please forget tamiya or bullet plugs.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:21 PM
Tech Regular

Gotpez : Hi

You might want to get one of those butane-powered soldering irons. No kidding, I have one of these and they are invaluable for soldering work where AC is unavailiable.
The model I have is the Iroda Solderpro 50, its equavalent to 50 watts I guess.

Cheers
Old 04-17-2003, 10:47 PM
Tech Addict

I use a Master Appliances UT-50 butane soldering iron, it's small and when using the wide tip is perfect for cells, wiring etc.

Expensive but worth every cent.
Old 04-18-2003, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

butane questions:
does it work the same way as a/c powered irons? do you need special solder? how long does the cartridge last? thanks for any info

i was looking at one from radio shack and it seems a good tool for outdoor racing with no a/c power.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by marvi
butane questions:
does it work the same way as a/c powered irons? do you need special solder? how long does the cartridge last? thanks for any info

i was looking at one from radio shack and it seems a good tool for outdoor racing with no a/c power.
Yup the butane iron works the same as an ordinary iron. You basically fill it up with lighter fluid (NOT ZIPPO!!!), turn on the gas supply and light up the tip. You can control the size of the flame to control the temp, rule of thumb NOT to use too hot a flame for too long and shorten the solder tip life.

A full charge for me lasts abt 20 minutes, enuff for most on track emergency work, hard wiring etc. IF needed, I just carry a small can of butane with me to recharge the iron in the pit... much lighter than an extention cord hehehehe.

Cheers
Old 04-19-2003, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

on mine i like to hardwire (solder) my motors and batteries to the esc. that way if you get hacked you know the connector wount come off
Old 04-19-2003, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

thanks
Old 04-19-2003, 08:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile

I race stock and have always solder my motor in the car along w/ my speed control to the batteries and my brushes to the motor. I have always been a firm believer that soldering gives the best connection.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.