R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   cat among the pidgeon's (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/167145-cat-among-pidgeons.html)

MR JOLLY 06-08-2007 12:39 AM

cat among the pidgeon's

here's a link to the company BOSCH
they have just released (3 month's ago) a new cordless (battery powered) lawnmower
http://ukptocs.bosch-pt.com/boptocs-...&prod_id=11862

it is LI-io pwered @36v
so did BOSCH see li-po is not the future to deal with & went for li-io instead ??

safety wise i can't see this mower being sent out to the willy nilly public if BOSCH weren't convinced it be real safe to do so

so if 1 of the power tool industry makers is moving over to li-io ,will the other's

don't forget the ladies will be using these mowers to cut & to abuse

jakeburns 06-08-2007 01:13 AM

Maybe its cause they charge faster and/or are lighter....

Just guessing.

Now where were you last weekend, Mr S was waiting on the rostrum for his challenge?? LOL

sosidge 06-08-2007 03:01 AM

Funnily enough the power and design requirements of a lawnmower are not the same as an RC racing car...

...although I have seen plenty of RC cars used as makeshift lawnmowers around fast sweepers!

skypilot 06-08-2007 05:01 AM

i think, they use the A123 lipos and not the ones we use. the A123's can be drained to zero with out hazard, and recharged at a higher rate, cordless power tools use the same batteries, i started flying helis recently and there was talk of using cordless power tool batteries, they don't blow up like regular lipos.

hobbipro 06-08-2007 05:16 AM

I go into the local (orange) home improvement store a few times a week, and see more and more cordless tools going to lithium technology, there's even a lithium powered dremel now. If I didnt have 2 corded ones already, it would be in my pitbox. Its just a sign of things to come.

nagatahawk 06-08-2007 07:45 AM

I believe that athe lithium ion batteries such as the a123's are safe unlike the lithium poly batteries that is generally used in rc.

they wont blow up or like the above post can be charged at a higher rate and discharged down without danger of damaging the battery. I think they have a lower output rate. also there is a special attachment that will increase the output. i have considered this system myself, but I don't think they are legal for racing.

that was funny, rc cars as makeshift lawmowers. I've never been there!!! lately.

pnccj7 06-08-2007 08:17 AM

see the maintenance on the thing..

Wash exterior, brush air vents on battery store between 0 and 45 degrees celcius..sharpen blade..

needrcspeed 06-08-2007 09:01 AM

My neighbor has one of these mowers...they are, by far, the BIGGEST WASTE OF MONEY. They do a lousy job of mowing and they look ridiculous.

They will come way down in price soon, then they will be discontinued and people will be stuck with a $1600 conversation piece that is a worthless joke.

Can you tell I am not fond of these retarded machines?

GreaseMonkey 06-08-2007 11:27 AM

I'm a Saturn technician and I was surprised to see the new hybrid VUE and Aura come with a 36v NiMH. I would have thought they would have tried something like Li- Io or possibly even Li-po espescially with Gm hyping Lipo lately as the next big thing.

SlowerOne 06-08-2007 01:06 PM

Spurious argument of absolutely no relevance to the LiPo discusssion - as stated above these are Lithium-Ion, where the safety issues are significantly lower. Also, they provide their own intelligent charger with what looks like a unique plug, so there is almost no risk that someone can make a mistake when charging the batteries. The batteries are probably well protected inside the mower, and frankly there is little risk of major impacts using a mower. Where's the relevance to RC LiPo?

It is this sort of ill-informed claptrap that does nothing to advance the LiPo cause, and generates clouds of smoke without firing up the argument.

MR JOLLY 06-08-2007 02:54 PM

the link between RC & this mower was the current drain & safety side of things

current drian when cutting the grass is a lot more then a little RC car

also relying on normal public to charge it in safety by bunging it on the charg & leaving it all night & it won't be a bonfire

PS;;No i'm not buying one i have a proper hayter Pro petrol :ha:

i have the orion Li-Po still ,just curious that a BIG company has opted for Li-Io tech & not li-po

i have a Black & Decker li-io cordless hedge trimmer ( very good piece of kit & not screaming pertol engine on the end either

@jakeburns
me & the racing scene are not friends at the Mo!!!! (crock of shit)
harry has taken up motorX,
Also i'm in demand Re;; Gardening

tell MR Spashett very sorry for the blow out
maybe Carpetwars 5 with 5 cell BL/Li-Po will bring me out to play

vazzo 06-08-2007 08:53 PM

My Nokia bluetooth headset uses lipo lol wont be a nice site if one of those babies blows up on the side of ur head.

SlowerOne 06-09-2007 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by MR JOLLY (Post 3381612)
the link between RC & this mower was the current drain & safety side of things

current drian when cutting the grass is a lot more then a little RC car

Is that right? So, a 4000mAh battery that we discharge in 5 minutes has the same current draw as the 4000mAh battery in the mower. Would you buy a mower that only went for five minutes?? No, much more likely that the mower goes for 15 to 30 minutes, so the current draw is three to five times less than an RC car.

So that's not right!! Please engage brain before fingers, as this sort of claptrap is getting a little boring.

MR JOLLY 06-09-2007 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by SlowerOne (Post 3382735)
Is that right? So, a 4000mAh battery that we discharge in 5 minutes has the same current draw as the 4000mAh battery in the mower. Would you buy a mower that only went for five minutes?? No, much more likely that the mower goes for 15 to 30 minutes, so the current draw is three to five times less than an RC car.

So that's not right!! Please engage brain before fingers, as this sort of claptrap is getting a little boring.

Your terrible in winding poster's up

since Bosh don't give out mah only volt rating ,mower is 36v my trimmer is 18v

where's does the 4000mah come from in the mower ????????????

also have you seen a women cut there long grass with electric mowers ,they are not bowling greens when they are started on you know

PS; if this claptrap is boring for you & wrong , then YOU can go some where else or don't post or read (not bothered which way)

doesn't help running poster's down with your negative finger talk

A) yes it is right ..........

sosidge 06-09-2007 04:51 AM

If you download the instruction manual, page 19 gives the technical specs in English. Although they don't state the capacity of the battery they do state that the charger output is 4A and that the battery will be charged in 1 hour.

So, the battery is ~4000mAh.

The mower gets it's power from the voltage - 36V - not from the capacity if the cells. Unfortunately Bosch are vague about how long it will last when mowing a lawn but I would assume at least 15 minutes constant running to do an average lawn.

That hypothesis works out to 16A is a much lower average current draw than an RC car.

Also, the weight of the battery is not a major concern in an appliance that probably weights 13kg without the battery. If the 36V Li-Ion battery is, say, 500g heavier than an equivalent LiPo battery (again, this figure is off the top of my head), it won't make any significant difference.

Perhaps Li-Ion are more user friendly for Bosch in this application, perhaps they are safer for most consumers, perhaps they are cheaper, I honestly don't know.

But it proves that making assumptions about LiPo in RC cars because of the use of Li-Ion in lawnmowers is a folly. You just cannot compare the two in any way, beyond that they are powered by electricity.