R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Novak Smart Tray or Trinity DPD? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/166909-novak-smart-tray-trinity-dpd.html)

AWK 06-06-2007 06:10 PM

Novak Smart Tray or Trinity DPD?

Is either one better than the other? I am looking to get a discharger/equalizer for an upcoming event and am looking to get some opinions. Anything anyone can tell me would be helpful.

HVFracingwilly 06-06-2007 06:15 PM

Team Wave!!!!!!!!!!

GymBeam 06-06-2007 06:17 PM

+1 teamwave

EAMotorsports 06-06-2007 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by CarKing (Post 3375546)
Is either one better than the other? I am looking to get a discharger/equalizer for an upcoming event and am looking to get some opinions. Anything anyone can tell me would be helpful.

If you are just looking for something to equalize cells the Novak is the better of the two. If you need a discharger too then the Trinity or the Much more CTXD-V2 would be better.

EA

AWK 06-06-2007 08:41 PM

So the trinity and much more units discharge the cells first, and then have the ability to equalize correct? I am currently into lipo, but have to switch back for a couple races and need to make sure I am doing what I need to.

My current charger can discharge and charge ni-mh, but only at a discharge rate of 1A since it is mainly for lipo. In this case, the DPD would be the better unit to buy correct?

I was looking over the manual for the DPD online, and was wondering when to use the 5A discharge vs. the 30A cycle discharge feature?

TMcKinney711 06-06-2007 08:44 PM

I had a few Novak SE Trays, I loved them to death until I got my hands on a DPD. Now I swear by the DPD, my cells are better than ever becuase of the DPD. Its great! :batman:

_pilot_ 06-06-2007 10:05 PM

Discharging

I have a DPD and a CTX-D, both are really good, but the DPD offers a little more information on the individual cells and it doesn't require a 12v power supply, just two AA's, it's also a little cheaper.

svt-racer 06-07-2007 05:05 AM

DPD made a big difference on my cells after I cycled them a couple of times. They seem to have more punch and higher voltage for the day. I like the extra information you get from this discharger. Knowing what cells are taking full charge vs others is really nice. IR information is good to know too. Overall, one of the best dischargers out there. Now, if we could only have a reliable individual cell charger in the market, that would be great. Please note I said, reliable.....of course affordable would be the next obvious requirement.

Joel Lagace 06-07-2007 05:47 AM

I own and use both the trinity and novak.

For TRack side use i prefure the Smart tray i find its faster on that bottom part the pakc where your trying to get them to equilize before charging... I do use both but find that the smart tray to be faster.

For diagnostics and pack maint, the DPD is hands down the best out there, gives the most data and one of the lowest prices. The much more is simply too expencive and lacks the data and internal power supply. I use the DPD mostly at home to cycle packs and monitor which cells ar the weaker cells. Unfortunalty wiht the 3800+++ cells you gotta keep those cells in prime condition

CypressMidWest 06-07-2007 06:01 AM

The Novak is nice, but the DPD is AWESOME!! It woke up a few of my old packs after a few cycles, and works very well as an equalizer trackside.