Search

discharging

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 01:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default discharging

hey,

i have IB4200 packs, i also have a cdc charger.

what amps should i be discharging at? and any other set up info i need to know for discharging?
Old 06-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by koolkidd
hey,

i have IB4200 packs, i also have a cdc charger.

what amps should i be discharging at? and any other set up info i need to know for discharging?
Whenever I discharge I discharge at 30 amps. i will then equalize the batteries using a battery tray and bring the cells down to 0.9V. then I charge them again.

Remember, when you are done with your race day, make sure that you charge your batteries for about 10 monutes and then put them away. Do not leave your batteries discharged and then put them away, IB4200's like to have a charge left in them especially if you aren't going to use them until next week again.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Tech Master

I like to charge my IB4200's at 6amps, if you are going to run your packs more than once a day I have heard that you shouldnt discharge them till you are done running them for the day. I have enough packs that this dosent happen, like Elboogie said discharging the IB4200's at 30amps is best. Integy makes the indi Reactor 30 wich is an inexpensive discharger that will do the job. If money isn't an issue I would go with the MuchMore CTX-D2, thats what I use, it has multiple settings for different applications, the Pulse discharge runs them down to a set point (I use 1.0v) at 30amps, then use the Linier mode to equilize them at 5amp down to .9 (some people go down to .7, but with how tempermental IB's are I wouldnt suggest it)
Old 06-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Big B
I like to charge my IB4200's at 6amps, if you are going to run your packs more than once a day I have heard that you shouldnt discharge them till you are done running them for the day. I have enough packs that this dosent happen, like Elboogie said discharging the IB4200's at 30amps is best. Integy makes the indi Reactor 30 wich is an inexpensive discharger that will do the job. If money isn't an issue I would go with the MuchMore CTX-D2, thats what I use, it has multiple settings for different applications, the Pulse discharge runs them down to a set point (I use 1.0v) at 30amps, then use the Linier mode to equilize them at 5amp down to .9 (some people go down to .7, but with how tempermental IB's are I wouldnt suggest it)

Good, Good info Big B
Old 06-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Elboogie
Good, Good info Big B
Thanks Elboogie
Old 06-07-2007, 03:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default charging

hey koolkid

i think from memory your cdc max discharge rate is 20 amps so that will have to do the job i guess & like big b i charge at 6 amps as well on a cdc v7.0

prof
Old 06-07-2007, 04:51 AM
Tech Initiate

ok guys can you tell me the trick to use battery wisely without using discharger in race day... what do I do to the battery? I only have 1 pack of IB 4200 using only twice...

i have budget to buy a mid range discharger but for the race but if anybody have the trick to use battery wisely in race day maybe i just get another pack of battery instead of discharger
Old 06-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

How much time between races do you have? You can get by with just one pack, but you will want as much time as possible between races to let the cells cool off. For running 1 or even 2 packs, I have heard (Note: I have not tried this but this is coming from Jeff at XRC) that if you are going to be running a pack more than once in a race day that you dont want to discharge it, just take it out, let it cool as long as possible then do your normal charge routine when it is time. I belive the reason you dont want to discharge if you are going to run the same packs in one day is that discharging will raise the internal temp of the battery and will take longer for it to cool off and be ready to charge. IMO, I would get another Battery Pack before a Discharger
Old 06-07-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Ask one of your club mates to use their discharger and buy one or more packs of cells instead. Both my chargers have disvharging functions and I have a Trinity discharger as well. My point is, I can't use them ALL at the same time so ask your clubmates for help. You'd be better off using one of theirs and having more packs of cells to use for yourselve!

Note: With the short lifespan of IB's, what a few guys at the club do is to either give or sell VERY cheaply, their older bettery packs to the new or younger guys that maybe don' t have enough money of their own to get brand new packs. The packs may of gone of the boil for the top guys, but they will still be great for the new/younger guys at the club.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:16 AM
Tech Initiate

I have about 45-60 minutes between race maybe less... Can I just charge the battery between race after using it? what I mean is that if the battery still have maybe half runtime in it?.. Also just charge the battery with higher amp then it will have less time right?.... btw this is only for race day I still need to buy discharger but later when I have enough budget...
and is GP4300mah is good deal?... because I just want to try different type of battery or maybe I just get another IB4200 mah pack?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Like wingman2 said, ask around I am willing to bet someone at the track has a good discharger they will let you use. Yes, after you run a pack you can let it set without discharging, NIMH batts dont need to be discharged like the old NICAD, but to maximise the potential of the IB4200's you will want to discharge and equilize at the end of the day, then put some charge back in (around 10min) so they dont discharge too much before you use them again. For now get another pack, ask around and see if someone will let you discarge your pack between races, charge and run pack 1, then if you can discharge pack 1 or if you cant just let it set and cool off, then charge and run pack 2, repeat discharge or cool off, by the time you are ready to run pack 1 again it will have had plenty of time to cool of and be ready to charge. You will at some point want a discharger, I would suggest saving up and getting the DPD or CTX-D2 as they will be able to discharge and equilize to exact voltage. As for the GP4300 I have never used them, I use IB4200's they have been good to me with the exception of some venting around 4200, if taken care of they will hold runtime and low IR's.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Tech Regular

Like wingman2 said, ask around I am willing to bet someone at the track has a good discharger they will let you use. Yes, after you run a pack you can let it set without discharging, NIMH batts dont need to be discharged like the old NICAD, but to maximise the potential of the IB4200's you will want to discharge and equilize at the end of the day, then put some charge back in (around 10min) so they dont discharge too much before you use them again. For now get another pack, ask around and see if someone will let you discarge your pack between races, charge and run pack 1, then if you can discharge pack 1 or if you cant just let it set and cool off, then charge and run pack 2, repeat discharge or cool off, by the time you are ready to run pack 1 again it will have had plenty of time to cool of and be ready to charge. You will at some point want a discharger, I would suggest saving up and getting the DPD or CTX-D2 as they will be able to discharge and equilize to exact voltage. As for the GP4300 I have never used them, I use IB4200's they have been good to me with the exception of some venting around 4200, if taken care of they will hold runtime and low IR's.
Everything that Big B said is true. Remember, when you go to the track you will get a lot of answers from people so be mindful of who's advise you follow. Here is what I do in short.

Generally when you have IB4200's the best run that you will probably get from them is the second run. What I will do is go to the track and discharge my batteries (because I left a 10 min charge in them from the last time that I raced) and then I will equalize them down to 0.9 volts. I then charge them.

Now when I come off of the track "IF" i am going to run them again, I still discharge and equalize. i like the punch that I get when they are discharged and equalized between runs. Now my situation is different because I have 4 packs.

If you are looking for some good battery prices, I just bought some from Eric at EA motorsports and what he does is he will have battery sales for some of the batteries that didn't meet the standards (runtime of 425). I bought 2 packs from him and they were $40 each and the voltage on them is insane. They are even better than my High Voltage Orion that I paid a lot of money for.

Here is a link to the thread that he sells his batteries on. From what I understand he will be selling some more on here in Mid June but if you go to this thread, you will see some of the numbers on the cells as well as IR

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=164368

Keep an eye out for them because they are excellent batteries and you are not giving up a child to buy them. LOL.

Now I run mostly 19 turn and for 19 turn, the runtime usually on a 4200 isn't a concern.

I am about to buy a much more discharger and they are expensive. but before I bought this I used the Integy "indy Reactor" and it discharges at 30 amps and is fairly inexpensive. here is a link to INtegy's website so you can get th epart number and order it if you wish.

It is on the top row, 4th from the left.

http://integy.automated-shops.com/cg...tml?p_catid=24

I hope that this helps as well as helps your pocket.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Thanks Elboogie, your info is great as well.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks Elboogie, your info is great as well.
Anytime Big B, it's great to actually see some information that will really help out someone who is new or to anyone that just has questions. Hell I have been racing for 6 years and I still have questions.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:41 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ok guys, this thread has helped me out a ton! I just have to ask a final question after reading through everything here if you don't mind:

I am getting 2 or 3 IB4200 packs for a race in about a month and decided to buy the Trinity DPD. My question is with the DPD, what is the best way to care for batteries on raceday? Should I:

1) after leaving a small charge in the day before, cycle them at 30A and down to .90v and then charge them for the first race. Then let them sit and cool and then simply charge them for the next race -or-
2) do all the same pre-race stuff, but in between races, do the whole cycle thing again?

I am switching back from lipo for this race and have basically forgotten everything on how to take care of ni-mh packs! Can't wait till lipos are legal everywhere.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.