Wiki Posts
Search

Spektrum DX3.0 Deadband and Expo

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Spektrum DX3.0 Deadband and Expo

I just started using a Spektrum DX 3.0 after using a Spektrum module in a JR radio for a while.

I am having trouble (in both cars) with a very touchy throttle trigger. I have played with the deadband setting and throttle expo a little, but I still am not able to get things like I want.

As it is, you can breathe on the trigger and the car moves - It also reaches full throttle at about half trigger movement, so there is basically no mid range throttle control - it's almost like a switch - all on or all off... The deadband setting goes the other way - I'm at 0, if I increase it, the car starts moving without touching the trigger. Currently Expo is at linear.

One car us running a Novak GT7 ESC, the other is a Novak Dually - since both cars are doing this, I've basically ruled out everything except the radio settings.

Any tips?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Stupid question but did you reset the settings on the ESC???
Old 06-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

not a stupid question at all.... yes I did.

As I was typing that, I realized that I might need to play with the brake deadband and not just the "forward" deadband to see what that does. I'm at work, so it will be tonight before I can try anything else though.

if I understand the deadband setting though, this wouldn't affect the fact that I'm at full throttle by half trigger pull. Maybe I'd better do the ESC calibration again (done it twice already though)
Old 06-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Deadband is not the issue.
Re-calibrate again. Make sure you set endpoints for throttle and brake at 100%. Don't just go as far as the radio allows. When re-calibrated, your throttle should be at full when trigger is pulled all the way.
There are frequent problems getting some escs' into set-up mode when using spektrum. The delay of the system booting up, causes issues. Try it several times if not successful on first attempt. If you still have trouble getting into set-up mode (that's assuming you trouble in the first place), you can use a seperate power supply for rx and disconnect the red wire from esc plug to rx. This can get the radio system booted up before going into calibration mode of the esc.
If none of the works or is relevant to your problem, you will have to re-set your endpoints on the tx, matching it to the high-point of the esc settings.