R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-17-2003, 04:12 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Default Getting Consistent Grip

I would like some help with getting consistent grip.

If I run in 6 races of 5-7min each the grip that i get will change with each run.
On the first run the car is undriveable, it hooks and spins 180 at every sharp corner (this improves as i drive the car).
On the second run the car will have significant oversteer but not as bad as run #1.
On runs 3+4 the car is, in general neutral and stable, fun to drive.
On run 5 it starts to push and by run 6 i have to slow way down in order to take any corners.

I race on ozite here in Milwaukee at Trackside. I use pretty much the same tires as everyone else (sorex28 with HPI red inserts). I use TQ blu for tire sauce. I put the sauce on the entire rear tire and the inside half of the fronts. I drive a TA04r that has a stock setup.

Another thing that happens is that by the end of the day i get a "rubbery plaque" buildup on the outer edge of the front tires. Then the next time that i race i rotate the tires so that the ones with plaque are on the rear. By the end of the next session the back tires are clean and the fronts have plaque.

I know from reading the posts here that grip changes, but i do not think that my gip should be this variable.

Your help and insights are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
tadmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 04:37 PM   #2
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Tadmj.....I race up there at Trackside and what you are talking about is the traction level of the track increases as the day goes on. On Sundays when you first get there the track is very "green" or fresh and has very little traction built up. But as more and more people run on it the grip gets higher and higher....and it your case it causes your car to push. One thing you can do is run more toe-in in the rear of your car early in the day and then run less as traction increases......you can do the same thing with your camber....run less early in the day then run more camber later in the day. As far as a set up on your Tamiya car I cant help you much.....but next time you are at the track as Scotty or find Mike Lack I believe races the same car or Marty Hagmen(sp) he also races the same car. Any one of them can get you going in the right direction as far as a set up goes for the track. If I were you I would be looking to get my car to turn more later in the day when it counts....I know its hard to get practice when the traction comes up b/c that is when you are racing or qualifing but this is when you need to try a new setup and see how it works.....b/c if you try something early its no use really b/c the track will be not be the same later in the day.......or just go there on a monday and practice after a sunday race b/c the traction should still be up then and you can test set-ups on your car.
2013 USVTA World Champion of the World
MOTIV RC presents the Midwest All-Star Carpet Series....14th year running 2016/17!!!
USVTA National Championship....check it out!!!
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote