Wiki Posts
Search

Core RC 5000mah Lipos...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dbmartin
It was not hooked up to anything, I charged it monday, disconnected it and let it sit, I leave it taped into the car, but it was not connected to the speedo.
I have all the settings correct on the ice charger. I haven't changed them since I purchased it.

I have a race next weekend, So I got the car out to rebuild it and noticed the pack as you see it.
You got PM
Old 05-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by aus jd 2703
ok well here is a basic one orion says to use now we just need Adam to help us adapt it to the udc 20 please Adam
http://www.team-orion.ch/orion/faq/harness.gif
sorry
Here: http://nexusracing.com/newsdesk_info.php?newsdesk_id=72
Old 05-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by dbmartin
I need some help, this is what my core pack looks like. I have only ran it two weekends, and I only run it once a month, I put it on the charger about a week ago just to put some juice in it. I looked at it today and this is what it looks like . I am worried about the thing blowing up. Also worried that $120 is down the drain. I charged it like normal, I have an Ice charge set for 5 amps. Any help would be appreciated. I also need to get my bottom weight off, any suggestions?
We have a fellow racer that finally converted to LiPo and bought some Core LiPo's. Only 3-weeks into the LiPo, arrived yesterday to race, and the pack was toast, just as yours. All puffed up and case seperated. I also suggested he contact the guys at Schui.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
i didn't really pay that close attention, but someone at the track and a adapter they made to balance charge, if i remember correctly they took and servo plug with three wires one had a neg bullet plug, one had a positive bullet plug, the other had the small bullet plug for balancing. it was all plugged into the 2s balancing plug on the charger, i would imagine that if you took a voltmeter to the charger you could figure out which is positive and negative. the center should be the balance wire.

I use an AstroFlight Blinky balancer to balance my Core-RC 5000 pack. It works great and no need to modify anything. Just plug it in and go. Hope this helps.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Has anyone left their Core setting for a month or more and then checked the balance?

I haven't used mine in roughly 6 weeks and didn't check the balance before charging it back up. After it finished charging and was not connnected to anything it swelled up. Needless to say it has been disposed of properly.

At this point I am assuming it went way out of balance while stored at half charge and then overcharged a cell when it was used the first time. My only concern with this theory is that the guys at Schumacher have been saying to not worry about balancing them.

No hard feelings, it was a great battery and didn't owe me anything, just surprised that it swelled after less than 75 cycles.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Has anyone compared the Core 5000 with the new Orion 3800 30C packs?

Skiddins
Old 07-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stetler17
Has anyone left their Core setting for a month or more and then checked the balance?

I haven't used mine in roughly 6 weeks and didn't check the balance before charging it back up. After it finished charging and was not connnected to anything it swelled up. Needless to say it has been disposed of properly.

At this point I am assuming it went way out of balance while stored at half charge and then overcharged a cell when it was used the first time. My only concern with this theory is that the guys at Schumacher have been saying to not worry about balancing them.

No hard feelings, it was a great battery and didn't owe me anything, just surprised that it swelled after less than 75 cycles.
in the year and a half that i had my Core 5000 pack i balanced it once and it didnt really need it!
Old 07-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stetler17

I had mine swell about 3-4 months ago, I kept it to see what would happen, It has now reduced back to normal size and accepts a full charge and discharge fine. I have not run it in my car however, but it appears to be ok.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins

Skiddins
You will notice the difference in punch/power in mod...the Orion 30C will give a bit more punch and agressive acceleration than the CORE 20C on a med size track...but for stock or superstock you wont really feel a difference.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
You will notice the difference in punch/power in mod...the Orion 30C will give a bit more punch and agressive acceleration than the CORE 20C on a med size track...but for stock or superstock you wont really feel a difference.
I would think that it would be the other way around? but what do I know
Old 07-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

From my experience, the performance variances from (SMC, Orion, Core and Reedy) packs are less apparent when running Mod. But when running 17.5 and 13.5 classes that demand higher voltage and lower IR cells, the differences become more apparent. In classes where you're limited in horsepower the battery output becomes more important.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins

Skiddins
I have both packs I have about 60 to 70 cycles on my Core 5000 and I just got an Orion 3800 30c pack. They were both the same speed on the first couple of charges on the 3800 then it got faster and faster as the day went on. At the end of the day the 3800 pack was .3 faster fastest lap with a 13.5 motor. So draw your own conclusions maybe a new Core 5000 would be just as fast I don’t know I don’t have a new Core 5000 to compare it to. But in the end I went my fastest with the 3800 that had 4 cycles on it ever and they were that day.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kevin K
I have both packs I have about 60 to 70 cycles on my Core 5000 and I just got an Orion 3800 30c pack. They were both the same speed on the first couple of charges on the 3800 then it got faster and faster as the day went on. At the end of the day the 3800 pack was .3 faster fastest lap with a 13.5 motor. So draw your own conclusions maybe a new Core 5000 would be just as fast I don’t know I don’t have a new Core 5000 to compare it to. But in the end I went my fastest with the 3800 that had 4 cycles on it ever and they were that day.
I now have 2 Core packs from around Christmas time, and the new Orion 3800 which has run a few times.

I certainly didn't manage 0.3s difference between the packs, even if I ignore the tyres and setup changes etc the biggest difference I saw was 0.06s!

Maybe after the Orion has 'bedded in' it might get better, but baring in mind I have thrashed the Core's quite a few times over the last 7-9 months there isn't much of a difference at all.

Skiddins
Old 08-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Does anyone know where to buy JST-EH connectors?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:21 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

www.allerc.com

Originally Posted by stitchy
Does anyone know where to buy JST-EH connectors?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.