Search

Core RC 5000mah Lipos...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nexus
nice.

I see you moved the balance plug over. Was it easy to open the hard case? (shawn/adam would this void any type of warranty?) It seems like the perfect way to get the Core all the way in the Mi3 and straight.

Did you also cut the adapter plug and put a different type on?

===

Took some of the tips on here from keeping the pack from sliding. Just cut small lexan pieces and shoe-gooped them on the pack. Works perfect when taped now.
That 'hard' case is just held together with tape. Cut the tape on the crease of the case and there ya go. The batts are held in place with double-sided tape to the case and takes some 'negotiating' to pull apart but it's not difficult.
No I did not cut the balancing plug on the battery but did cut down the Deans plug. It took myself and Evan (rcaccessory.com) a bit to narrow the balancing plug down and the Kokam one works The adapter harness is universal up to a 6s pack, what changes is the board that it's connected to....

Last edited by JayBee; 12-01-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JayBee
That 'hard' case is just held together with tape. Cut the tape on the crease of the case and there ya go. The batts are held in place with double-sided tape to the case and takes some 'negotiating' to pull apart but it's not difficult.
No I did not cut the balancing plug on the battery but did cut down the Deans plug. It took myself and Evan (rcaccessory.com) a bit to narrow the balancing plug down and the Kokam one works The adapter harness is universal up to a 6s pack, what changes is the board that it's connected to....
No need to cut the tape, just peel it back.

The case is fairly thin, I managed to widen the holes with the balancer cable with a scalpel.

Skiddins
Old 12-02-2007, 04:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by abailey21
Skiddins, have you tried to balance the pack yet, and when you do please let us know how far out of balance your packs were and how many cycles you've put your pack through.
Only charged it once as I got the pack yesterday.

I set the charger to Balance Charge (it's all built in) and it took around 80 mins to charge/balance at 1.8A.

This is the charger I'm using;
Century UK X6

I know that charge rate is low but as I'm new to this Lipo lark I left everything as default on the charger for the first time.

It doesn't seem to give any 'results' for the balancing, so is it a case of comparing the amount of time to charge a pack normally, with the amount of time to balance charge?

It will be a least a week before I get to run it in anger.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:26 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Last edited by abailey21; 12-04-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

well, I ran my Core 5000 for the first time in my TC yesterday. I can same I am very pleased with the battery. I usually can run about .2 faster a lap with a good NIMH than I can my Orion 4800.

yesterday I raced my Orion 4800, a good IB4200, and the Core for each of our 3 qualifiers. I actually went faster with my Core than I did with my IB. Granted it was a new track and I was still getting used to it, but nonetheless, I was faster.

Once I get more track time on this new layout I will compare them some more...but it looks like my Orion is about to go up for sale......
Old 12-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mr. McGoo
well, I ran my Core 5000 for the first time in my TC yesterday. I can same I am very pleased with the battery. I usually can run about .2 faster a lap with a good NIMH than I can my Orion 4800.

yesterday I raced my Orion 4800, a good IB4200, and the Core for each of our 3 qualifiers. I actually went faster with my Core than I did with my IB. Granted it was a new track and I was still getting used to it, but nonetheless, I was faster.

Once I get more track time on this new layout I will compare them some more...but it looks like my Orion is about to go up for sale......
How are the laptimes when using the Orion compared with the Core?

Skiddins
Old 12-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by abailey21
So does that mean that your chargers don't let you know how far out of balance the pack...(if any)?????
I presume not.

I will phone the manufacturer during the week to see if there is something else I need to do.

I had to get a new charger either way as my Spintec will not charge LiPo's, was pointed towards that one as it's half the price of an Orion Advantage and has the built in balancer.

Skiddins
Old 12-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
How are the laptimes when using the Orion compared with the Core?

Skiddins

my fastest laptimes from my Orion to my Core were .4 faster, but that's not all b/c of the battery. Traction was coming up and I was getting used to the layout still. Next week will be a better comparison.....
Old 12-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The Kokam cells Orion uses have considerably lower voltage than the Enerland cells in the Core packs. Orion wins on safety and cycle life, but that's turning out to not be that relevant in R/C cars, since the batteries still seem to last forever. We'll see how the safety aspect plays out.

The best cells for voltage are Saehan-Enertech. They also have good safety and cycle life. Unfortunately, the cells are a bit long, and hard to fit in some chassis, and don't have a hard case. FMA Direct sells them for $99, and they're no joke. I noticed a significant difference between these and my Orion packs. And since I'm integrated with guys running NiMH, voltage definitely matters.

Try warming that pack up a little bit before you run it (around 110-120F), you should see a little more performance. It's safe, and approved by other companies (TrakPower) that use the same Enerland cells as the Core brand. Muchmore's battery warming tray is a very nice fit.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by syndr0me
The Kokam cells Orion uses have considerably lower voltage than the Enerland cells in the Core packs. Orion wins on safety and cycle life, but that's turning out to not be that relevant in R/C cars, since the batteries still seem to last forever. We'll see how the safety aspect plays out.

The best cells for voltage are Saehan-Enertech. They also have good safety and cycle life. Unfortunately, the cells are a bit long, and hard to fit in some chassis, and don't have a hard case. FMA Direct sells them for $99, and they're no joke. I noticed a significant difference between these and my Orion packs. And since I'm integrated with guys running NiMH, voltage definitely matters.

Try warming that pack up a little bit before you run it (around 110-120F), you should see a little more performance. It's safe, and approved by other companies (TrakPower) that use the same Enerland cells as the Core brand. Muchmore's battery warming tray is a very nice fit.
Thanks for that tidbit of info Syn.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

The Jay...I will open it up and move the balance plug over so the pack can sit straight in the car.

==

Can people post what chargers and/or balancers they are using?
Old 12-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr. McGoo
my fastest laptimes from my Orion to my Core were .4 faster, but that's not all b/c of the battery. Traction was coming up and I was getting used to the layout still. Next week will be a better comparison.....

So . . .

Q1-Orion-10.89
Q2-NiMh-10.74
Q3-CORE-10.50

Is that right?

Two questiosn Marker and I were wondering after we did some back to back testing between his CORE and Orion . . .

How many cycles do you have on your Core?
Did you add any weight to your CORE and if so how much where?

I think I read or was told they reach their peak after about 20 cycles . . .
Old 12-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Tech Champion

Here ya go Andrew...

Last edited by JayBee; 09-12-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:15 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Duratrax Ice, and I haven't balanced the Core packs

Originally Posted by Nexus
The Jay...I will open it up and move the balance plug over so the pack can sit straight in the car.

==

Can people post what chargers and/or balancers they are using?

Last edited by abailey21; 12-04-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayBee
Here ya go Andrew...
lol . . .I think you meant Nexus lol

Can someone weigh a bare CORE 5000 as it comes out of the package?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.