Wiki Posts
Search

5 cells? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)
Default 5 cells? Why?

Im sorry for being a nubcake and not knowing, but I searched, then I searched, then I searched some more. Im trying to figure out why people run 5 cells on the internet? Im my local track its all 6 cell NI-MH and a few guys run Li-po.

So what is the deal with the guys running 5 cells? Less run time/voltage=retarded. So? Why do it?
Old 05-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...ht=cell+racing

here is one thread to read, there are more as it has been an issue for a while.

I don't like it either.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Old 05-29-2007, 06:10 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by B18C Turbo
So what is the deal with the guys running 5 cells? Less run time/voltage=retarded. So? Why do it?
Actually the formula is: Less Voltage = More Runtime and Less Heat. Nothing retarded about that.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by andsetinn
Actually the formula is: Less Voltage = More Runtime and Less Heat. Nothing retarded about that.
Here we go. Now to smash that arguement. If you gear your car properly, heat is not an issue. Sponsored guys have access to extra everything, so gearing balls to the wall is not an issue for them; making 5 cell more appropriate. 5 cell is a cop-out, simple and plain. Cars are slower, which makes heating less of an issue. Go li-po/brushless, pop a fan on the heatsink for the ESC and MAYBE the motor and poof go the thermals. Running the GTB as you can see in my signature, I have thermalled ONCE since owning it and that was when I intentionally ran without a fan and a few too many teeth on the pinion. It took 12 minutes to make that happen. Less cells is less speed. The object of racing is to win and going faster is part of the equation, with driving skills completing the formula. 5 cells=RETARDED!
Old 05-29-2007, 07:37 AM
Tech Adept

If you don't like it don't run it - simple as.

ps. At the last round of the BRCA mod nats the top 9 cars in 5 cell broke the previous 6 cell lap record with TQ (Chris Grainger) being 10 seconds quicker than the old record - slower eh?
Old 05-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Here we go. Now to smash that arguement. If you gear your car properly, heat is not an issue. Sponsored guys have access to extra everything, so gearing balls to the wall is not an issue for them; making 5 cell more appropriate. 5 cell is a cop-out, simple and plain. Cars are slower, which makes heating less of an issue. Go li-po/brushless, pop a fan on the heatsink for the ESC and MAYBE the motor and poof go the thermals. Running the GTB as you can see in my signature, I have thermalled ONCE since owning it and that was when I intentionally ran without a fan and a few too many teeth on the pinion. It took 12 minutes to make that happen. Less cells is less speed. The object of racing is to win and going faster is part of the equation, with driving skills completing the formula. 5 cells=RETARDED!
BXpitbull = retarded

What a bunch of rubbish you just wrote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ian S
If you don't like it don't run it - simple as.

ps. At the last round of the BRCA mod nats the top 9 cars in 5 cell broke the previous 6 cell lap record with TQ (Chris Grainger) being 10 seconds quicker than the old record - slower eh?
Same thing happened at this years Reedy.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I wonder how fast a LIPO car could go if it only had to make the weight of a 5 cell car?????
Old 05-29-2007, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

Default 6 cell

as far as spectating, I would rather see 6 cell, you can see the punch and the speed of the cars. they drive like nitro cars. but as you say, it may be slow. slower but more spectacular to watch and the best drivers will show their metal drifting the car thru the sweepers and corners.

Yeah 5 cell may be faster , but I still like 6 cell racing. never thought i would say that until i saw the 5 cell reedy over the weekend.

wn
Old 05-29-2007, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
agreed 5cells=retarded!
Old 05-29-2007, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not this crap again
Old 05-29-2007, 09:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Advil
I wonder how fast a LIPO car could go if it only had to make the weight of a 5 cell car?????
If LiPo comes to pass, I like the idea of keeping the weight rules the same, and building tougher, heavier cars to make up the difference in weight.

I can't really comment on 5 cell as it compares to 6 cell, except that it seems to obsolete brushed motors in mod racing, which is set to be their final battle ground as brushless replaces 27T and 19T. How is that good for anybody? It seems to entirely violate the spirit of mod racing.

Good luck getting people excited about it in the clubs, though.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
If LiPo comes to pass, I like the idea of keeping the weight rules the same, and building tougher, heavier cars to make up the difference in weight.

I can't really comment on 5 cell as it compares to 6 cell, except that it seems to obsolete brushed motors in mod racing, which is set to be their final battle ground as brushless replaces 27T and 19T. How is that good for anybody? It seems to entirely violate the spirit of mod racing.

Good luck getting people excited about it in the clubs, though.
I was trying to address the 5 cell is faster thing...that's why I wonder if a LIPO car (with all of that power) would be faster than a 5 cell car if the weight was equal.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:16 AM
The Evicerator

I think another reason why 5 cell might be faster around the track is that you aren't getting the wheel spin that you do with 6 cell/lipo ...

It's akin to why 19T/stock guys can be just as fast if not faster through certain infeild sections than the mod guys are at times...

You're not spining tires...over shooting corners...etc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.