R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-28-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Lipo q's

hey guys the technology of lipo is getting hard to ignore.
what i want is one pack i can use for 5 runs just topping up between runs?
i run 540 so wont u much capacity what capacity should i be looking at i was thinking round the 4000 mah mark does this sound right?
i have an ice will this charge them alright?
whats a good pack ie max amp or orion or other?
cheers guys
Josh P
to make Keith happy
Corally phi
SP 5.5,17.5
aus jd 2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

pretty much all the current r/c car lipos can be topped up after every run, no need for special cycling/discharging/other maintennance methods if youre racing, you can do away with just one pack for the day - practice, qualifying, finals. top off between runs and youre good to go. you can also fully charge the batt days or weeks before the race and it will still run fine once you get to the track.

if youre running 540 (this is mabuchi/johnson sealed can, right?) i suggest you get the orion carbon 3200 lipo, it will fit virtually any car, some with very minor mods, and the capacity will be more than enough for your 540 before you buy, check first if the lipo batt will fit on your car.

the ice will charge this battery with no problems, just make sure your settings are correct and save them to the charger memory

one more thing, lipos do not like to be overdischarged, so once your car seems to slow down or stop, do not run it down or limp it back to the pits. pick it up so you can charge it right away if the battery is slightly warm, use a fan to cool it down while charging. it also cools down by itself during charging, but i prefer using a fan to aid in cooling

check out the ff. lipo battery threads ...

orion 3200 carbon lipo

orion 4800 platinum lipo

maxamps lipo

there are also a few threads about lipo charging, safety, etc.

hope this helps
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote