Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Serpent to 1/10th EP Touring Kit S400 >

Serpent to 1/10th EP Touring Kit S400

Serpent to 1/10th EP Touring Kit S400

Old 02-05-2008, 07:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

George, I thnk you will be ok when you get back on Rubber asphalt. The traction and carpet tracks take toll on the front end. If you must, try a Tamiya 46mm swingshaft in steel.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Tech Champion

[quote=XACDesigns;4146338] a tap at the right angle would snap the front CVDs. I only took 2 spares with me and ended up breaking 5 of them. I am going to try the tamiya ones up front with the tamiya axles as well.
[quote]

I saw 2 guys blow 3 of them out in mod on sunday so you are not alone. It always seems to be right on where the joint narrows down onto the shaft too so it seems.

Ive had tamiya universals in my ta05 for a while now and they look a lot thicker than the serpent ones so they should work great if they fit
Old 02-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

every one of mine broke at this point (see red mark on pic). when I took them out I had 3 pieces, the shaft, and two circles. <- I don't know what that part is called where the coupler goes in.

No biggie though, I'll get some tamiya cvds and some more serpent cvds and see how many I break on asphalt.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Tech Regular

So much for serpent support, they simply dont want to know (about replacing the top bulkheads (which are ridiculously weak) for customers who have invested good money in the kit).

Not trying to give Serpent a bad name or anything, but they could work on there customer support. No doubt the car is great, handles well straight from kit set-up

I look forward to driving under Tamiya now with there 416
Old 02-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

AMMDREW,
I'm trying to find LHS that support the S400, on the west coast. This LHS, really seem that they don't want to support the S400. and then there supporting Molzermowery. Don't how to look at it.

Still lookin' locally for support.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Tech Elite

Guys anyone tried Xceed rubber tire?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Tech Champion

the problem with the driveshaft is not the dimensions in the part, but how its machined, the tamiya shaft where the pin goes through is different, while as the s400 shaft has excess cutout.

Hard to explain on the forum, but compare the two where the pin sits in and you will see roughly an excess 0.5mm cutout on the s400 shaft which isnt needed.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by suntok2
Guys anyone tried Xceed rubber tire?
We tried the tires at the Xceed Cup in the Netherlands.
Tires were doing better after a few runs.
Grip was a little bit strange in the beginning but nearly the same laptimes as with the tires we normally use, cs27...

Rob Janssen
Old 02-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

With the car on a car stand I will give it a little throttle,Turn the wheel and I get a bad chatter noise and bad vibration.Does anyone have this problem and what do I do about it?The car is box stock.

Thanx.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Most likely your steering throw is set to far. The "CVDs" are really not constant at all...just a glorified Universal Joint. At about 15º articulation a U-Joint will chatter.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MikeMalinconico
With the car on a car stand I will give it a little throttle,Turn the wheel and I get a bad chatter noise and bad vibration.Does anyone have this problem and what do I do about it?The car is box stock.

Thanx.
Set your EPA or dual rate to limit steering angle and the universals wont chatter.
Common niggle we have with our club guys.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TimPotter
Spur,

We generally do not run Foams on asphalt around here. And I am not familar withthe mamba system, so I cannot give you gearing/rollout for that. Was the motor hot? did it seem like it came up to speed real quick, then went flat ? When you setup the speedo, was the radio EPA set to 120% ?

I would first see if taking a little droop out of the rear to stop the low speed oversteer. Is the car balanced ? ,from the pictures I do not think it is...

if you lacking overall bite, there are a million things to do.. but try starting out with laying the shocks over....
Well should i run rubber tires? I noticed rubber tires only come in 24mm mounted? Isnt that too skinny? The motor was not hot at all. The straight is about 170 feet long. I did check the EPA and it was set at 100%. So i fixed it thanks! In terms of balance its tweaked.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RocketRacer
Howzit Spur,

the 1st problem of oversteer (back stepping out) during cornering is definitely cause by you running 26mm tyres all round. with foams on asphalt, you have to run wider rears. usually 26mm Front and 30mm rear, or you could run 24mm front 28mm rear. if you have the wheels touching the steering arms or rear shocks, then runn spacerson the wheels hexes or run thicker wheel hexes. bear in mind that bu doing this you will be altering th etrack width and maybe you could uses different width suspension holders to maintain track width.

things to remember when running a spool:
1. On Power steering is increased
2. off power steering decreased
3. the car is very sensitive to tyre diameter and with foams this becomes critical and can affect the handling drastically.

with the mamba 7700, you need to gear it according to the track and according to the motor temps after a full run. 200 degress F is tha absolute maximum it should run at. 180F will be alot safer.

hope this helps
Any idea where i can get these tires u recommended. I will try to fit the 30mm for now with a washer spacer.
Ok so now i know what happens when u run a spool. So what happens if i put in the one way diff? How that affects steering?
I didnt check the motor temp but i will tomm.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

Ran the car again this past sunday. I tried a new 28T pinion with 120% EPA set on the radio. The car did seem a bit faster. I tried 26mm fronts and 26mm rears foam 37 all around. Grip was a bit better. Still doesnt turn as much as i would like too. After a couple runs the car totally spins out of control. Upon investigation the rear dogbone snapped. The pin in the cvd itself broke in half. After the car was down a couple days i took the same pin off my 720 and made it work. I went to attend another race with some friends. They opted for drag racing instead since we had fast brushless cars. I lost every race. The car that beat me was a Xray t1 with a 4.5Novak running 4600mah batteries and 90T spur with 23T pinion 48P Also tomm im racing for points at my local club. Any suggestions?
Old 02-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default gear diff questions

Has anybody ran the gear diff on carpet? If so, what weight oil are you riunning? I run on a very tight indoor track. Any suggestions would be great. Also, has anybody been breaking CVD pins in the front? I break one every raceday. One more thing, does anybody know the conversion for CST rating to standing weight oil ratings?

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.