Had a realy good time last night at the high traction outdoor asphalt MDI track in Royal Palm Beach, FL. Weather coulndt have been better. About 75F, with nice cool breeze. Track was pretty clean and traction was good as always.
I wanted to test a couple things on the S400 and I went ahead and started with using the #2 holes on the steering arms, changing ackerman from the stock position. I also, tried the outside holes on the sway bar mounting positions and also tried different spring combos.
THe kit 50cst oil, with 3 hole pistons, keeps the car from rolling too much, keeping the car flatter and a bit more reactive.
The first run, the car had understeer into corners and overall steering was diminished. After about 10 laps, I stopped the car and changed back to the stock #1 hole on the steering knuckles and this made the car steer mode agressive and gave the better overall steering I was looking for. Now I know what each one does
Next, I was using the 4mm droop all around on the blocks, now went to 5 all around to see if the car becomes a bit more reactive, but not unsettled over small bumps...
The car felt much better on the 2nd run, with the 5mm droop all around. It did become a bit more reactive, and did not become unsettled over the successive small bumps. Car seemed to have a bit more corner speed as well, with better corner exit as well.
Next, removed the the yellow Serpent springs on the front and rear, and went to Serpent white springs all around. The car now had more over all steering and was even more agressive in and out of turns, on and off power. Sections where you previously had to let off a bit and then get back on throttle, could now be taken at full throttle since car would just turn in so sharply and not loose the rear. Which the extra steering and over all traction gain, now the car was generating so much traction, that after the 3rd run, the tires had chunks of rubber ripping off down the middle of the tire
Never seen that before
Switched to Take OFF CS27 tires- raised inner front camber link from the stock 1mm to 3mm(Upon Butter's suggestion), and moved the front shocks 1 hole out, so that now the shocks are in 2nd hole (from the outside). Used 1 deg front camber instead of 1.5 deg I had before.
Now the car had even more traction and front end steering than before! Holy foreskins!! THe car was just nasty grippin' and had an "all out attack the corners feel" to it. Now it was even easier to get on throttle earlier and for longer and not even let off in higher speed areas. Talk about an angry Snake. It was possesed
Thanks to BUtter and Tim Potter for their tips and suggestions. Its so nice to have really good drivers like them at the track- they love to answer questions and give you advice as if it was for their own cars...they really want to see others succeed and it shows. Huge asset for Serpent and big reason why more and more people are running the S400.
I finally have a car that seems to have endless levels of steering, reactiveness, and aggressiveness- with just a few changes, the car was so reactive and agressive that even "reactive/steering" hungry Butter felt it was too much and we had to actually dial out some steering on EXP and DR Radio settings...never had to do this before...with other cars it was always the opposite.
Next I plan to take the car to our med traction Coral Springs track and see how it behaves there with the same set-up. Should be fun