Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Horizon Hobbies order >

Horizon Hobbies order

Horizon Hobbies order

Old 05-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Horizon Hobbies order

I placed my first ever order from Horizon Hobbies. I needed some small parts for an associated car and a losi truck, and they are the only one's that seem to carry losi. Among the items ordered were some $1.25 diff balls for the losi. When I placed the order, the order confirmation said that the diff balls would be shipped from california and the rest of the parts from illinois, at no extra cost to me. Well I got the $1.25 diff balls today. A 6x6 box arrived by air mail. Inside was the tiny bag with the diff balls. Postage was $16.00 usd. I hope they can remain in business, footing the $16.00 bill for a $1.25 in parts. Anyways hats off to them for quick service, but I'm puzzled at the cost they incurred to ship the diff balls. They could have thrown them in an envelope and paid $0.70.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I've always had excellent service from horizon, shipping was always quick and easy. Some small losi parts can be found on ebay too. Most of the time in the seller's stores for a little cheeper. I usually have to get my Tamiya parts from ebay, Tower nor Horizon keep a good supply of tamiya, and speedtech is usually out.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Losipartswarehouse.com is also a good source.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Iceracer
I placed my first ever order from Horizon Hobbies. I needed some small parts for an associated car and a losi truck, and they are the only one's that seem to carry losi. Among the items ordered were some $1.25 diff balls for the losi. When I placed the order, the order confirmation said that the diff balls would be shipped from california and the rest of the parts from illinois, at no extra cost to me. Well I got the $1.25 diff balls today. A 6x6 box arrived by air mail. Inside was the tiny bag with the diff balls. Postage was $16.00 usd. I hope they can remain in business, footing the $16.00 bill for a $1.25 in parts. Anyways hats off to them for quick service, but I'm puzzled at the cost they incurred to ship the diff balls. They could have thrown them in an envelope and paid $0.70.
I dont think you have to worry about them staying in business as they are one of the main suppliers for many of the local hobby shops. Also, they probably always have losi parts since they own them. Point well taken on the shipping though. Thats crazy!
Old 05-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Have you tried to call customer service at Horizon Hobby? Sometimes that works better than complaining on the web!!!!!
Old 05-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Guys, reread his post. He isnt complaining about Horizon Hobby's Customer Service. He is wondering how they can spend $16 to ship $1.25 diff balls for free and make money.

The answer is it's all about volume. They make it back up with a little bit tagged on to each handleing fee to cover the split orders.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I don't care how big or successful a company is, to ship a product at that shipping rate for that small of an item is CRAZY, but it gets you great P.R. reviews...because THEY DELIVERED on their promise to ship for the promised price.

In this day and age, that kind of service is sometimes hard to find...

Thumbs Up to Horizon
Old 05-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am by no means complaining. I was just flabbergasted at the price they paid to split an item off the order and have it shipped from an alternate location. They did me no wrong. I'd certainly order from them again. I once bought differential parts for my full sized jeep and the company separated the detroit locker from the gears in shipping and charged me extra. There, I got screwed. Here, I see a company charging me $9.00 total for shipping & handling, and incurring a $16.00 postal charge up and above what it cost them to ship the main order. They were the only place I could find on the net that had both the losi and associated parts I needed. Even tower didn't have the kimbrough diff covers I needed. I'd certainly order from Horizon again and recommend them for international orders. I have no problem with tower either, they just didn't carry losi or full line of kimbrough parts.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

You got lucky, I was hit with an additional $40 plus. Should have refused the package, but then there's the restocking charge.