R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   X Ray Evo 2 vs MR4 SD? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/16417-x-ray-evo-2-vs-mr4-sd.html)

xwing 04-15-2003 12:10 AM

X Ray Evo 2 vs MR4 SD?

I am going to get a new car (my last one is MR4TC) and I am thinking about either X Ray E2 or the MR4 SD. Suggestion anyone? I am a consistent driver but is not very good at setup.

Thx

buggyman81 04-15-2003 12:13 AM

either way is good but ive heard that xray cars are or can be a pain to set up so i would go with the mr4sd

Besercoe 04-15-2003 12:41 AM

the pivot ball suspension may be harder than your average car to set up, but the newer cars with c-hubs are exactly the same as other cars.

the xray is a sensational car, tough and easy to get going fast.
As yet the yokomo has not proven itself on the track, if i were to walk into a shop today i would definately go the xray.

But the old adage still applies always buy a car that has good parts support, as you will always end up breaking something.

Cole Trickle 04-15-2003 01:18 AM

Hmmm, tough choise.

As already mentioned, local support are very important.

All the shaft car drivers I know, says that a shaft car is more direct in it's response to driver input, thus less forgiving. They say, that this requires an even better setup.

Both Yok SD and XRay are pretty stiff cars, which definately requires a good setup.

As far as I know, the new Evo2 comes with both C-hubs and pivot ball suspension, but you better check it out.

A couple of things I really like about XRay: They have good setup instructions. And access to adjustments are good too, diff, shock dampning, caster etc., can be adjusted in seconds. If the car is easy to adjust, it's easier to experiment, thus gaining setup experience.

xwing 04-25-2003 05:08 AM

I have decided to go with Xray because it has better setup support and its tougher (IMO). Thanks for all input. :)

BTW, the Evo 2 FOC version comes with both pivot and C-hub suspension, front and aft.

rc-zombies 04-25-2003 10:50 AM

With the box stock set-up the Evo is fast and handles great... and you will not break any parts. but the newer plastic c-hubs are more prone to breaking than the aluminum ones. I've had the aluminum C-hubs for about 6 months now...and the car is like a tank...takes alot of abuse and keeps on going to the checkered flag.:D

I'll be recieving the SD next week...we'll see how that goes...:)

Darkseid 04-25-2003 11:03 AM

Originally posted by xwing
....and its tougher (IMO). Thanks for all input. :)
How can you determine how tough a car is that hasn't even been release to most of the public in this country yet? :confused:

Anyway.....good luck with your pick. There really isn't a bad choice to be made amoung the top TC these days. Which is why the fact that these "this vs. that" threads keep popping up confuses me.

O'well...

Cole Trickle 04-26-2003 05:09 AM

In the SD thread, there've been some reports about breaking this and that. But which is toughest, welll, hmmm.... Anyway, the XRay got a good reputation about this....

Darkseid, you've a good point about "this versus that".

Korey Harbke 04-26-2003 07:25 PM

There are 2 X-ray team drivers at the local carpet track over here and they never break the car unless they clip a corner and go into a wall full blast. I've watched a few and I thinks it's probably the most durable TC out there.

xwing 04-26-2003 07:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Darkseid
[B]How can you determine how tough a car is that hasn't even been release to most of the public in this country yet? :confused:

Here in Hongkong some drivers got their hands on the first shipment of SD. Based on what we have seen, my LHS and I believe T1 is tougher. Of course, driving style is what it matters at the end. ;)