Wiki Posts
Search

Sponsoring ROAR races

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Michal101
westerdude42,

Just my point! As previously posted, this explains the popularity with the Novak race, Snowbirds and Scotty's Vegas race and the dwindling attendance at the ROAR national events.

Big B,

"I would like to see Team Techs there" that is exactly what the Team drivers are supposed to be there for and not just wheeling the car.
I agree. If you not only sponsor the race, but have someone there to sell and help set up your product, racers will know how to use it correctly and pass on that information when they go home.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Team Tekin

So if we would have been able to support the local SIR team at the enduro that would have meant more than sponsoring the event. I can understand that.

It is a great example, but I read between the lines guys. How many times can I apologize. We busted our ass to even get there and our stuff performed flawless. You bagged us, not the other way around.

So what is going to take for you guys to forgive us. Should I send cash or drivers to whip your arse? We did buy the Pizza And I was there for the entire 24hrs. I do not believe anyone provided anymore support than that. As I recall Brood and the Orange packed up early and a few came back for the finish.

My long winded take on this is in the works. Thanks for all the comments.

Tekin Prez

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 05-23-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Team Tekin

Racing is a hobby, Races are a business, and a tough one it appears.

I do not have the answers but I have solved the problem from my point of view by looking right in the mirror. Take control of our own destiny just like we do with all business matters.

Right now there is little incentive for the host to provide any sponsor benefit once they have the cash. It does not improve their income or attendance to do anything directly for the sponsors. It is simply a gentlemens agreement. Since these are one time affairs there is no backlash for poor performance except perhaps for the next host.

How we create a situation where tracks are fighting to be a host is obvious on the surface, make it profitable or just a lot of fun. Since it is actually a lot of thankless work that just leaves good old American greed and maybe a little pride.

I think the RMT program is an excellent step and it appears to be working well. I am not sure ROAR should be in the promotions and sponsorship side of it. That leaves the opportunity available for the host. If you step up to be a host then understand what your selling and make the most of the opportunity whether that is merchandise, sponsor dollars, cut of hotel fees, concessions, track prominence, attracting new local racers, pride or what ever . It is not automatic, business can be tough and there are never any guarantees. If you expect to make a profit, then make it happen. If you want my money then tell me why I should give it to you.

I do not expect to be picked by limo or have an owners box at the track. We do expect someone to know that we helped provide the racing opportunity before the race, during and after. That means brand exposure, logo memorabilia and being on a quality award worth displaying. It is the Nationals for goodness sakes.

I do not agree that ROAR is the primary sponsor. At this point I see ROAR as the vendor offering a product. Why does ROAR want top billing? You are not paying yourself for that position and therefore are giving up an opportunity to both make money and have help with the event. Does ROAR really need brand awareness? Not putting the Title Sponsors on the awards simply makes no sense.

It is not my position to teach people how to run their business. It is my responsibility to run my own business and define my expectations. In a real business relationship there would be defined requirements and obligations. Some payment would be upfront and the remainder after the obligations had been met. We are not taking anymore rolls of the dice with anything less.

Tekin Prez
Old 05-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well I'm going to give my 2 cents worth.Back in the golden age of R/C's whenever someone became a sponsor there different levels was spelled out.when I did state races they sponsored a main or mains. There name was mentioned through the event and especially the main they sponsored. There names were on the trophies.When I did the nationals the major sponsor had their car and logo on the trophy.Plus the article I wrote and had published.
Now on helping the racers Novak and Tekin were always there helping the drivers with their speed controllers.You had motor tuners and you could go up to the teams and ask questions and get some help.When I did the races you got your moneys worth during the weekend and later in different publications.
Nowadays clubs are very few- hobbyshops have the tracks and the majority are hidden behind the buildings. So no one passing by know what's going on in the back.When clubs were around and plentiful here in Florida were did major shopping centers with state races -regionals .What it also boils down to is the people now bust there butt for event or are they in it for the money.Please don't tell me you don't make any money- I ran the concession stand paid every one of my help for the weeks they put in to get our nationals done.The same for the regionals and many state races I did.People don't want to do all that work any more, most of the time.I can say after a nationals or big race there is a drought at the track for about a month.It still takes dedication of a few to make any event work and those people are harder and harder to find.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TeamTekin
So if we would have been able to support the local SIR team at the enduro that would have meant more than sponsoring the event. I can understand that.

It is a great example, but I read between the lines guys. How many times can I apologize. We busted our ass to even get there and our stuff performed flawless. You bagged us, not the other way around.

So what is going to take for you guys to forgive us. Should I send cash or drivers to whip your arse? Or just accept that we have no friends at SIR? We did buy the Pizza And I was there for the entire 24hrs. I do not believe anyone provided anymore support than that. As I recall Brood and the Orange packed up early and a few came back for the finish.

Tekin Prez
Actually I was on team CRC. We didn't run Tekin or Novak in the race. My comments are totally based on my own personal experience at the race and not based on any sponsorship issues that cropped up. Of course I heard about them, but I actually sat and talked to the Tekin guy (you?) for quite a while. I enjoyed the conversation and came away feeling good about your company. I just felt that the Novak guy had more information available to help me become a better racer. For those of us who run these races even though we'll never be good enough to get sponsored, information and instruction are gold. My thought was that not only should you sponsor the race, but that you should have your product on display and have someone there instructing on how to use it properly. That's what I appreciate from a company at a big race and in the end I'm the true target audience, a racer who pays full retail for everything I own.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

My thought was that not only should you sponsor the race, but that you should have your product on display and have someone there instructing on how to use it properly. That's what I appreciate from a company at a big race and in the end I'm the true target audience, a racer who pays full retail for everything I own.
That is what I would like from event sponsors when available, for instance our little series is trying to break ground with taking oval racing from 4 cell Nimh w/ brushed motors to a B/L LIPO combination, but there are so many myths about the LIPOs a lot of people are scared of them...I'm trying to work a deal w/ Peak/Orion to help instruct and inform our racers on the safety precautions and other needs that the lipos we're looking at will need. (we will be limiting our deal to the use of the Peak/Orion 3200 sealed style LIPO packs.

We are working with Novak on developing B/L motors that will run speeds as close as possible to the current 4 cell NiMh speeds using these LIPO batteries, and if all works correctly, for a brief period of time at least, I'm hoping we can bring the two together on a track at the same time and let drivers SKILLS win the race.

(I would have loved to be able to include other B/L mfg's in the test, but since most are just now coming out w/ their already scheduled products..and since it's been said some don't want to build a motor based on equal speed...it's going to be easier and more fair to the "RACERS" to keep the power plants limited.)
Old 05-21-2007, 07:15 PM
Team Tekin

Props to Charlie, he does his job very well. That is a good example of a choice. It cost a lot less to send a Charlie than sponsor a major event. OF course if there is no event to send him to...

Entry fees alone are not going to support these races. Somebody really needs to help out from the goodness of their heart or because there is some real value. At the rate companies are being consumed by larger corporations there is not likely to be a lot of good will around for long. Unfortunately the small companies that are the backbone of the sponsors need more help than ever and also are going to be looking for more bang for their buck. BL and lipo is wonderful but it honestly may be the death of many of the banners we see around the track consistently.

Times are changing and we better change with them. Technology is the key and has so much potential to reach consumers. We will never have major spectator attendance. The internet rules the world and allows us to reach unlimited numbers of qualified consumers.

Have a sweet web page with information well in advance of the race, put the sponsors prominently in the live coverage and include us on all the memorabilia and awards. Assure me it will happen and actually do it and you will get my attention, my money and help from talented people that know how to make great graphics and promote.

Please understand we want to sponsor ROAR Nationals. We feel it is our place, we should give back to the hobby and it is fun. However there is also the reality of that paying the bills thing. In todays competitive environment no one is raking it in at a level they can be frivilous.

Tekin Prez

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 05-21-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

isn't that what a SPONSOR gets? otherwise they should ask for DONORS.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:43 PM
Team Tekin

This one manufacturer idea for fairness is pretty questionable. I am telling you the stock BL motors are all going to be as good or worse than the current available products. The same is true with lipos, the Kokam cells are as good or better than anything available. These companies have already provided great products and anything else is only going to be equal or less. What’s unfair about that?

The risk is limiting your options to a single sponsor some of which have already stated clearly that they do not see any value in sponsoring races.

If we sell lipos and BL systems that are not allowed in your series do you think we are going to throw money at it or even want any part of it? Seems counter productive considering many races are struggling to fill the heats to eliminate anyone. Choices are good and what makes America great.

I can think of a lot of words to associate with this and most describe failed government philosophies. Personally I do not like to be told what I can and cannot do because of someones misinformed opinion of what might not be fair with no technical data to support it.

We have been outlawed from some race series before we have even released our product. I guess it is a compliment that they expect it to be unfairly better. All we ask is that they are actually allowed to be considered. If they are so much better that they are unfair, I can live with that.

Single manufacturer requirements has never been a part of RC in the past and we better be real careful if we go down that path. If so you better choose your friends wisely.

Tekin Prez

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 05-21-2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I can understand your frustrations, it is very hard to justify pouring money into an event, when no one knows you did, and you see no ROI. As for the SIR story, I have not heard both sides, nor do I care to. I understand that things happen which are unavoidable, look at the upcoming ROAR race, it had to change venue 2 months before the start date, due to the early closing of PIR. In fact I look forward to chatting with someone with Tekin about their products as I am loosing confidence in my current equipment, and I will be looking for a new ESC in the coming months. That goes for all the major ESC companies out there, I know the Nats should be based around the racing, but as I said earlier they if want more spectators there needs to be tech guys (not just racers) there who have the time, patience, and knowledge to explain why their product should be used by the consumer. Alot of ROI, I feel boils down to word of mouth, and accessability of product.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

So what is going to take for you guys to forgive us. Should I send cash or drivers to whip your arse? Or just accept that we have no friends at SIR? We did buy the Pizza And I was there for the entire 24hrs. I do not believe anyone provided anymore support than that. As I recall Brood and the Orange packed up early and a few came back for the finish.

Tekin Prez
as a SIR racer, and one that runs the brushless class i will take credit for having the first 13.5 on the track and starting the class. let me say while i ran the 13.5 novak motor it was powered by a lrp speed control, the reason, i run a yokomo bd. yokomo is kind enough to give me a 50% sponsership, and have a close reationship with associated/lrp. the reason for the novak motor vs. a lrp motor is lrp didn't make "stock" brushless motor. i didn't run the enduro but am aware of the stuff handed out by novak. but lets be honest. if 6 or 7 of the teams are getting free stuff to run, and one of them ends up winning they get to say, we won the 24 hour enduro. i know tekin had a proto type brushless that was also flawless, as well as hacker. but the tekin isn't released yet, and sir only stocks the novak so thats what sells and thats why everyone has one. it has nothing to do with who sponsered what. i now have the novak speedo, but thats because i'm waiting for lrp tc edition or the tekin to be released. and as a brushless driver that has never been beat well maybe once or twice in the last 6-8 months, i would be honored to run tekin equipment. i'll even pay full price for it, just get off your arses and release it what others are missing is you had a prototype not a box full to give away and talk about. btw, none of us SIR racers speak for SIR. but we do like to run our mouths. even with NO big races under our belts.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Big B
I can understand your frustrations, it is very hard to justify pouring money into an event, when no one knows you did, and you see no ROI. As for the SIR story, I have not heard both sides, nor do I care to. I understand that things happen which are unavoidable, look at the upcoming ROAR race, it had to change venue 2 months before the start date, due to the early closing of PIR. In fact I look forward to chatting with someone with Tekin about their products as I am loosing confidence in my current equipment, and I will be looking for a new ESC in the coming months. That goes for all the major ESC companies out there, I know the Nats should be based around the racing, but as I said earlier they if want more spectators there needs to be tech guys (not just racers) there who have the time, patience, and knowledge to explain why their product should be used by the consumer. Alot of ROI, I feel boils down to word of mouth, and accessability of product.
youve been racing for a whole week now, what equipment problems can you be having???
Old 05-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Tech Champion

Tekin Prez
you have a driver there that is kicking our butts already. i can pm you my paypal if you still wish to send cash
Old 05-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Well for some reason I feel the need to say my 2 cents after reading these pages. Tekin Prez, I see your brand name and products in magazines, on message boards, at races that you help sponsor, but what brings me to the counter and makes me open my wallet our 2 things. A product that works and performs with the best products out there, and when the product fails there is someone to fix it. There is nothing more frustrating then having to have an extra esc or a servo with you because the product you bought that everyone said was reliable and the company had great customer service sat on a bench waiting for repair. Then you get it back, just to send back the back-up you had beause it failed as well. I undersand your question is, what is in it for a company when they sponsor a race. I believe it is more than just a $$$$ figure but a chance to sell your product based on performance, support, customer interaction, and reliability. With every type of product the vendor needs to seperate thier product from the rest. I know for me and the people I race with performance and customer service are key. I agree with a lot of the other coments out there.
There is no return from just sponsoring a race and hanging a banner but sponsoring a race, hanging the banner and helping out racers tune and troubleshoot product so they run better during the race will get you all the ROI out there. Without going into too much of what I do we have products that have more features, better performance and lots of advertising, but they do not sell well because they have no back end customer service. We all know in the racing community that the track is not going to take our product back and that we have to deal with the company no matter were we purchased it. If that company stands behind there product and supports us the sponsored by VISA racer, we will buy it.
All of that however starts with you the vendor selling us on the dream of buying your product, having the product available, then support for the product. If that message goes through the racing community you will sell more product.
Brand reconition is more than sponsorship......

Excuse my long winded speech....

-James
Old 05-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Team Tekin

Were all good! We are going to be a sponsor for the ROAR paved nationals just to get that guy a good pit spot. We will bring more than a proto this time.

Hello Fx!

Prez

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 05-23-2007 at 09:49 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.