R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Stick Pack help Please (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/163712-stick-pack-help-please.html)

bikedoctor 05-17-2007 01:16 PM

Stick Pack help Please

In the Spec league I plan to race in all drivers must run stick packs no larger than 4200.

Besides run time what is the different characteristics of 3300,3600,3800,4200?

Which packs are you guys most satisfied with in terms of Bang for Buck?

The car I plan on racing is the Tamiya F103gt spec class.

Thanks.

KHoff7 05-17-2007 01:18 PM

can you run lipos such as the orion carbon?

bikedoctor 05-17-2007 01:28 PM

Certainly. My only question; is it worth the cost?

I would hate to buy one battery for the price of three to only gain minimal gound over the NIMH racers. I should also admit that I tend to test the walls from time to time so unless the advantage is really big I would probably lose that advantage with my first wreck.

I would think there are some packs out that are affordable and competative.

MrBlack 05-17-2007 02:08 PM

Just a note on the 3200 Carbon Lipos they will last roughly 3 times the lifespan as all three of your 4200 NiMH packs combined.

Is their a minimum wieght on the car? If not then you will have an advantage if you set your car up properly.

Also you will not have to worry about charging your batteries so they top out just before your races as every other driver in the know will to gain the utmost advantage by doing this with NiMH. THis is not an issue with LiPo.

As far as hitting the wall the 3200 Lipo will take more abuse from this then will the Stick pack as the stick pack carries with it more weight which means more momentum wich means a harder hit. A couple good wacks and a stick pack can smash the end battery bar through the heat shrink on the battery and create a short. If you short a 4200...well let's just say it is entertaining for everyone not close by.

But I am biased I would check out any of the LiPo threads and see what other users have found.

:)

Brian Searles 05-17-2007 03:39 PM

While they are no longer at the top of the performance game, the GP3300/GP3700 packs seem to be the most durable. The newer cells....3800+ just seem on the weak side. Not from a performance aspect, but durability. However if performance in your top priority, the 4200's are hard to beat for raw power. (At least when they are new or have had a babied life)

Big B 05-17-2007 04:28 PM

I would go Lipo, the Orion 3200 is TCS approved

bikedoctor 05-17-2007 04:55 PM

I think I may have to pinch the pennies for the Lipo's. Thanks to all.

Kev

KHoff7 05-17-2007 06:10 PM

I would buy lipo if I were you because in that situation it is the better way to go, and if your running tamiya can motors you can probably get 2 races from one charge and then just charge again because they have unlimited charges per day, and take note I am biased toward regular Nimh batts but lipo is right for you

ford_racing 05-17-2007 08:03 PM

This may sound a bit silly but if you use LiPo add lead, the battery doesn't weigh enough to deliver the power to the ground.

I have tried it with a friends 103GT with both LiPo and NiMh, i preferred the feel of the NiMh packs, the car just seemed to stick to the ground more

Big B 05-18-2007 09:12 AM

Did you try adding some weight to the lipo or rear pod?