R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-29-2007, 03:36 PM   #76
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm View Post
Hey all I have a TA05 with the Tamiya LW tub chassi, I was thinking about ordering this new IFS,will the LW tub chassis from the TA05 fit this car? Thanks yall
Howzit

I think it will, I have an IFS and the front stiffener uses the same holes, and the time stamp on my chassis says "tamiya 2005" so it should be the same.

The front stiffener is pretty thick so I cant imagine it will break in a hurry. The mounts for the shock ball are solid. The front setup looks pretty trick. I built mine with tamiya trf shocks but omitted the o ring under the piston, bit of a mistake as you will need this to keep the spring captive. Without the spring captive there is alot of slop in the linkages. But when its captive its sweet. Spacers on the suspension shafts aren't a snug fit so there is slop there also.

I love the body, you can mount it so low. There are two lines on the bottom of the body so you can cut it shorter to lower it more. Talk about sacked, it looks like an F103GT only better. I believe there is so much more adjustability with the front shocks than normal, I will be experimenting with mine.
junn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:30 PM   #77
Tech Initiate

Hi All,

Does anyone has a TA05-IFS Manual to share ???
Or where I can find it ?

tks
neosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #78
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Got my parts to do the conversion. Now all I need to do is find the perfect body to take advantage of the new suspension. Could I use one for the F103GT?

BTW for those interested. Its better to get the alum. rockers because it comes with the bearings and ball studs which is convenient.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:15 AM   #79
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
Got my parts to do the conversion. Now all I need to do is find the perfect body to take advantage of the new suspension. Could I use one for the F103GT?

BTW for those interested. Its better to get the alum. rockers because it comes with the bearings and ball studs which is convenient.
If you are talking about the Mugen Courage....No. I don't think it will work @ the rear.......nor the front both.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:56 PM   #80
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rctouringracer

I'm thinking any of the Tamiya's JGTC NSX bodies would be a good choice because with the IFS front suspension system you will finally be able to mount the front end low and take advantage of the body styles aerodynamics.
rctouringracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:48 PM   #81
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosan View Post
Hi All,

Does anyone has a TA05-IFS Manual to share ???
Or where I can find it ?

tks
http://www.tamiya.com/japan/download...l/ta05_ifs.pdf

Last edited by TryHard; 08-16-2007 at 03:02 PM.
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:50 PM   #82
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxey View Post
53991 TA05-IFS Carbon Reinforced N Parts
53992 Aluminum Rocker Nut
53993 Aluminum Rocker Arm Set

Apart from the step scre #9805840 Are the above parts all that is required to convert a TA05 into and IFS?

Has anyone got feedback on how the car handles with the new front shocks?

I have a fully optioned 05 just sitting on the shelf, this could breed some new life into it.
Besercoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #83
Tech Apprentice

Seems to me you'll need a couple more parts. There's a set of 28mm tie rods/push rods in there as well. I think the front hubs would also need to changed too. The front end is a three point suspension set up, one set for support, one set for steering and a third set for shocks. Might need new A-arms too, haven't actually compared the two set ups in detail even though I own both.

This suspension is AWESOME, very smooth and precise. (I have a hoped up T05 to compare to).
I now prefer the IFS, haven't really raced it yet tho, just breaking things in for now.

Anyone else have a problem with the steering knuckles? (Had to switch mine out for parts already ? The replacement option parts seems better away, the box knuckles seems to be very soft plastic )
AllShowNoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:58 AM   #84
Tech Adept

The Wishbones, knuckles and rear uprights are all the same as the standard Lightweight suspension, check the part numbers in the moldings. However they do all have new part numbers so maybe there is a subtile change with material etc. Yes you do need an extra set of 28mm turnbuckles to run the IFS set up. Good news with all this is however, it should be very simple to switch between IFS and Standard suspension, so you will really only need 1 car still.
forum fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:11 PM   #85
Tech Elite

There were three IFS's at the Tamiya Nationals.
No need to worry about the rear body piece. It is seperate because you could not mold the body with that rear end style as one piece. However, the wing supports go through the tail piece and the body so it is not going anywhere.

The front hub carriers on the IFS are different than the regular TA05 also. Tamiya already has a 53XXX P/N for replacements.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TA05 IFS-ta05-ifs-350r.jpg  
Kevin CBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:15 PM   #86
Tech Adept

I raced a converted r to ifs at the nats
i would have run the body but couldn't get one in time
DirtyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:40 PM   #87
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

anyone have successfully convert a normal ta05 to the ifs ver. yet?

Where to get the step screws for the rocker arm?
ah_DaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:20 PM   #88
Tech Adept

all i did was dremel out enough material to fit a standard round head screw (yes i know that makes it TCS illegal, but it's hidden and you can't tell ). I do recommend using some thread lock, during the race one rocker arm got loose on me and my suspension crapped out on me.
DirtyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:33 AM   #89
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxey View Post
The following are listed as Hop-Up specifically for the IFS (back of the IFS manual):

53991 TA05-IFS Carbon Reinforced N Parts
53992 Aluminum Rocker Nut
53993 Aluminum Rocker Arm Set
53994 Carbon Damper Stay (Rear)

The reinforced N Parts are the grayish version of the first picture posted by TFR (left bag), excluding the hub carriers. However, those carriers are 4L and 4R (right bag), which IMO, serves the same purpose as those 4R and 4L from '53899 Reversible Lightweight Suspension Set'.

Also, the IFS comes with 4 lookalike '53899 Reversible Lightweight Suspension Set' arms, but of the stock material (blackish). Which means the wheel axles are shorter than the stock TA05. If you are clueless what I am on about, don't worry, just get the '53899 Reversible Lightweight Suspension Set' (expensive though).

Rocker Nut and Rocker Arm Set, you need those.

As for the TA05 IFS stock Rear Damper Stay, they have 4 holes for your dampers and are of the same exact position as the 53846 TA05 Carbon Damper Stay (Rear). The only stupid thing is that the 2nd hole from the inside is used up for the body rod (the one you stick pins in to hold your lexan body), which leaves you with 3 holes to play with. However, the position of the rods are the same as those of stock TA05 rear damper stay.

IMO, if you already have 53846 TA05 Carbon Damper Stay (Rear), don't bother about the TA05-IFS version (unless it looks radically different with 5 holes or something).

Stock setup uses all medium springs with rear damper at outer-most hole and IFS dampers at softest setting aka no spacers (odd if you ask me). To adjust the IFS damper, you add 0.5mm spacers to the rear of the rocker (between rocker and ball connector). Each 0.5mm spacer is equivalent to moving damper outwards on a standard damper stay by 1 hole. At least that what I understand from the manual.

Particularly disturbing is the list of Hop-Ups did not include any stabilizer sets. However, the older picture of a fully Hop-Up IFS by TFR shows stabilizer, and if you look close enough, the rear stabilizer sticks out of the Stabilizer End ball (like on the TA05 MS). But I guess that's not important.

Also, the N parts has 4 plastic spacers. These are used for the wheel length adjustment. Stock setup, the Front suspension arm is 7.5mm away from the body, the rear is 6.5mm away.

Finally, stock setup rear toe-in is 1.0 degree and front 0 degree. I doubt it will work at all on a technical track IMO.
arrived la !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:00 AM   #90
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Can any IFS owners answer this? The pics look like they come out with the stiffer reversible arms... True?
Proudly Sponsored by Stanbridges Hobbies
Serpent S411
jrxs-r is offline   Reply With Quote