R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-2009, 06:47 AM   #796
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 1,499
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
Looks like to me you have the wrong type of suspension mount in the front of the rear. Looks like a rear mount that's been flipped over.

Should look like this: (these are the front ends rear mount and the rear ends front mount)


Where as it looks like you have a normal one flipped over since I don't see the lettering on top. (These are the front ends front mount and the rear ends rear mount.
I'll take a closer look. It's possible I confused the parts. However, I would think the wrong part would cause the problem on both sides of the rear, and not only one side.

Here's the instruction from the manual. I believe I have it right.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TA05 IFS-instruction-manual-b6.jpg  
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:57 AM   #797
Tech Champion
 
Core Creations's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 5,708
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations
Default

I never check droop anymore with a guage. I always check it with wheels on and on a super flat setup board. I don't need to know the exact # on a guage. I lift the car and make the suspension droop until the wheels lift off the board. This is the amount of droop the suspension has. I as a rule of thumb run about 1.5mm droop in the front and about 4-5mm in the rear for rubber tire. First make sure its even (perfect) side to side...then adjust more or less as needed for the desired effect. You'll never get the droop perfect using a guage on a TA05 chassis...they are not flat no matter what anyone says. Try this method and I'll bet you get much better results.
__________________
Core Creations paint thread

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:22 AM   #798
Tech Master
 
TwoTone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,002
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
I'll take a closer look. It's possible I confused the parts. However, I would think the wrong part would cause the problem on both sides of the rear, and not only one side.

Here's the instruction from the manual. I believe I have it right.
Larry I was thinking it was upside down and resting on the curved surfaces, which might not allow it to lay evenly.

However, I was going based on my non IFS 'R'. It seems the rear of the IFS is also slightly different. So forget what I was saying.
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #799
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 1,499
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
I was thinking it was upside down and resting on the curved surfaces, which might not allow it to lay evenly.

However, I was going based on my non IFS 'R'. It seems the rear of the IFS is also slightly different. So forget what I was saying.
No problem. At this point I'm open to any suggestions.

I'll try the suggestion of Core Creation. Hopefully, the required rear droop doesn't exceed the limited travel of the rear arm on the battery side.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:01 AM   #800
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Creations View Post
I never check droop anymore with a guage. I always check it with wheels on and on a super flat setup board. I don't need to know the exact # on a guage. I lift the car and make the suspension droop until the wheels lift off the board. This is the amount of droop the suspension has. I as a rule of thumb run about 1.5mm droop in the front and about 4-5mm in the rear for rubber tire. First make sure its even (perfect) side to side...then adjust more or less as needed for the desired effect. You'll never get the droop perfect using a guage on a TA05 chassis...they are not flat no matter what anyone says. Try this method and I'll bet you get much better results.
I second this. I can usually get a more accurate reading using this method.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #801
Tech Elite
 
Foxxrocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sonoma County
Posts: 2,018
Default

I was going to get the TA05 for drifting, but it looks like this may be my main Touring car this session. How is the steering on it?
__________________
Tamiya 416X/ Tamiya TA-05 IFS/ Losi XXX-SCT/ HPI Baja 5SC/ Tamiya M05/ Tamiya F103/ Tamiya F104/ Team Associated 10R5O/ Kyosho IGT2/
Foxxrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #802
Regional Moderator
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At my computer, duh...
Posts: 9,033
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxrocket View Post
I was going to get the TA05 for drifting, but it looks like this may be my main Touring car this session. How is the steering on it?
The standard TA05, with the out of the box set, can just about turn on its axis! LOL It has that much steering.

The IFS-R has a little less steering out of the box. But still never lacks for steering.

Not sure about the standard IFS, I've never owned one.
__________________
TLR 22...Tamiya F104...
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #803
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 1,499
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Figured out my problem... I mean my car's problem.

I used the wrong spacers under the forward rear suspension hinge pin
mount. I don't even want to discuss how long it took me to figure that one out.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #804
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 1,499
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

What's the largest Spur Gear that can be used on the TA05 IFS? 64p.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #805
Tech Elite
 
Foxxrocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sonoma County
Posts: 2,018
Default

I should be getting my TA05 IFS tomarrow. And seeing how the shocks are layed down so low. I was wondering if there were still mounting holes to adjust the shocks? Or dose it remove the need to do that?
__________________
Tamiya 416X/ Tamiya TA-05 IFS/ Losi XXX-SCT/ HPI Baja 5SC/ Tamiya M05/ Tamiya F103/ Tamiya F104/ Team Associated 10R5O/ Kyosho IGT2/
Foxxrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #806
Tech Elite
 
reenmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,539
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxrocket View Post
I should be getting my TA05 IFS tomarrow. And seeing how the shocks are layed down so low. I was wondering if there were still mounting holes to adjust the shocks? Or dose it remove the need to do that?
The same result is achieved by placing spacers under the ball studs on the rockers. It's explained in the manual.
__________________
Pete Waydo
2010 Big Fat Turkey Race Mini Cooper AAA Main Champion
*** currently in stasis ***
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:30 AM   #807
Tech Master
 
cheehtae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,470
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
The same result is achieved by placing spacers under the ball studs on the rockers. It's explained in the manual.
I did add spacers on my shocks and it makes my car flow better on turns, it's called placebo effect.
cheehtae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:32 AM   #808
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,870
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

whats the part numbers for making up a spool for the front?

Also, might stick mine back to upright shocks, it is less of a fiddle, only got the IFS-R for the 416 suspension and pulleys really.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:51 AM   #809
Tech Elite
 
reenmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,539
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheehtae View Post
I did add spacers on my shocks and it makes my car flow better on turns, it's called placebo effect.
__________________
Pete Waydo
2010 Big Fat Turkey Race Mini Cooper AAA Main Champion
*** currently in stasis ***
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:53 AM   #810
Tech Elite
 
reenmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,539
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Search and ye shall find...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
53877 (TA-05 spool) but you can use neither the pulley that comes with it nor the stock IFS-R one. You need the 54023 DB-01 37T front one-way pulley.
__________________
Pete Waydo
2010 Big Fat Turkey Race Mini Cooper AAA Main Champion
*** currently in stasis ***
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya TT-01 RTR and Tamiya TA05 Roller FOR SALE nexxus Australia For Sale/Trade 9 11-07-2010 01:56 AM
WTB: Tamiya TA05 /R/IFS/IFS-R loriding69 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 6 06-20-2008 08:34 PM
Tamiya TA05-ms E-clip Australia For Sale/Trade 4 06-11-2008 10:46 PM
FS: Tamiya TA05-R (TA05) TCS Legal limbohz R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 06-05-2008 07:58 PM
FS: Tamiya TA05 crzydrifter R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 11-04-2005 11:20 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:50 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net