R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-12-2009, 11:52 PM   #766
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I will be purchasing a TA05 IFS-R for my local tamiya series race this season and i am curious about the tires and some kit details.

1) Does the TA05 IFS-R comes with universals?

2) I will be racing mainly on carpet (low to medium bite) tracks. What tamiya slicks and insert will be good for these conditions?

3) RZ and TZ are the motors which can be used. Which is better?
mathsinstrument is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:48 AM   #767
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathsinstrument View Post
I will be purchasing a TA05 IFS-R for my local tamiya series race this season and i am curious about the tires and some kit details.

1) Does the TA05 IFS-R comes with universals?

2) I will be racing mainly on carpet (low to medium bite) tracks. What tamiya slicks and insert will be good for these conditions?

3) RZ and TZ are the motors which can be used. Which is better?
I can respond to question #1... Yes. The TA05 IFS-R does include universals. If I remember correctly, they are both 46mm. The front shaft is steel. The rear shaft is blue anodized aluminum.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #768
Tech Master

The TA05 with 36t pulley has a Transmission Ratio of 2.25 according to GearChart.com.

The TA05 IFS-R has 37t pulleys. What's the Transmission Ratio for IFS-R, and how do you calculate Transmission Ratio?
Old 02-13-2009, 08:32 AM   #769
Tech Master

Disregard that last question. I found the answer in my Instruction Manual. The Transmission Ratio for the IFS-R is 2.055.

Last edited by Geppetto; 02-13-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #770
Tech Fanatic

What spur and pinion options are there from tamiya?
Old 02-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #771
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
What spur and pinion options are there from tamiya?
Tamiya was kind enough to design the car to accept standard 48p or 64p spur gears, so the options are limitless.

If you want to stick with Tamiya-made gears for some reason you can still do quite a bit. What are you trying to gear to?
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #772
Tech Fanatic

I'm taking part in the local TCS soon and i am totally noob to 1/10 electric touring as I am frm 1/8 buggy....
It would be good if there are some directions to how to get the right pinion and spurs for the 23T RZ/TZ motors to suit different tracks
Old 02-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #773
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
I'm taking part in the local TCS soon and i am totally noob to 1/10 electric touring as I am frm 1/8 buggy....
It would be good if there are some directions to how to get the right pinion and spurs for the 23T RZ/TZ motors to suit different tracks
Well one thing to note is that gears are not on the list of things that must be Tamiya made. So even if your preparing for TCS, your free to use what ever spur/pinion you like. Personally I like the PRS stuff. Very high quality gears.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #774
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

is the optional lightweight chassis for the IFS tweaked?
cheehtae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:17 AM   #775
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheehtae View Post
is the optional lightweight chassis for the IFS tweaked?
Thats a tough one to answer. Basically, its pretty tough to find ANY molded chassis that isn't tweaked to some degree. The question is, how tweaked is it. The lightweight chassis that I had with my original TA05 was tweaked slightly, but nothing that hampered performance.

If you ask around, there are a couple methods that allow you to remove most (or if your lucky) all the tweak from the chassis. But most likely, when you buy a lightweight chassis, or even a regular one, it will be tweaked slightly.

I wouldn't let it stop you from buying though. Like I said, this is pretty much the case with any molded chassis. And between the methods to "un-tweak" the chassis, and the tweak screws, its really not an issue.

I would have one on my IFS if I wasn't already under weight for GT2 class.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #776
Tech Regular

I`m waiting for my IFS-R car.. should be here tomorrow or thursday!

now have been looking on both the regular R and the IFS, what is the benefits on using the lay down suspension in the front? what does it do to the handling?

i can imagine that it makes the car a little less aggresive with the suspension being a little "softer" with the IFS
havent seen any post that explains that difference in a good way yet. (or have i missed it maybe>?)

also what is the weight of the car? i got a set titanium screws to it already, how much lighter is the optional chassis? (in grams)

Last edited by Hatebreed; 02-17-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Hatebreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #777
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed View Post
I`m waiting for my IFS-R car.. should be here tomorrow or thursday!

now have been looking on both the regular R and the IFS, what is the benefits on using the lay down suspension in the front? what does it do to the handling?

i can imagine that it makes the car a little less aggresive with the suspension being a little "softer" with the IFS
havent seen any post that explains that difference in a good way yet. (or have i missed it maybe>?)

also what is the weight of the car? i got a set titanium screws to it already, how much lighter is the optional chassis? (in grams)
Just allows them to create the bodies styles with low hood lines.

From the comments I read from people that converted Reg TA05 to IFS, most said they really didn't notice a difference in over all handing once you got the set up right again.
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #778
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've dug around this forum, the web, and Tamiya's web site looking for some sort of detail as to what each suspension mount does (amount of toe, etc). I believe the rear blocks change toe in .5 degree increments. What do the front blocks do ? How about the blocks that mount toward the inside of the chassis (front/rear and rear/front) ? As an example, my IFS-R has:

Front: 1B
Front/Rear: 1A

Rear/Front: 1XB
Rear: 1B (changed from kit 1D to reduce rear toe in)

Any help in this mystery would be appreciated.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #779
arj
Tech Rookie

Default Front knuckles

Hi guys

I wanted to put carbon reinforced front knuckles onto my standard TA05 IFS. I can't seem to find the part # for this. Anyone know if I can use the TA05 ones or another one from a different model?

Thanks

Arj
arj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:30 PM   #780
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inconceivable View Post
I've dug around this forum, the web, and Tamiya's web site looking for some sort of detail as to what each suspension mount does (amount of toe, etc). I believe the rear blocks change toe in .5 degree increments. What do the front blocks do ? How about the blocks that mount toward the inside of the chassis (front/rear and rear/front) ? As an example, my IFS-R has:

Front: 1B
Front/Rear: 1A

Rear/Front: 1XB
Rear: 1B (changed from kit 1D to reduce rear toe in)

Any help in this mystery would be appreciated.
Go to the 415 or 416 threads. There's a guy on there named TRYHARD that posted some links to his website that explains it all. I believe the the links are still on the current page on the 415 thread and may be one pager or so back on the 416 thread. This info would even teach Marc R. a thing or two
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote