R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-30-2009, 06:31 AM   #736
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb60 View Post
The GTB will fit,just, if you thin down the divider in the back of tub behind the motor, have the power wires face the belt, and zip tie the cap to rear bulkhead brace.
He is running a Tamiya race so none of that is allowed.

Yes my ESC has a fan. THose are the caps in the srink tubing. Had to move them, didn't stay there very well after hitting the wall.

To shorten the sensor wire, I cut the wires about 1/2 inch or so from the plug.

Then stripped enough insultion off there for some solder.

Then I cut the wires out of the motor to the lenght I wanted minus the overlap from the wires on the plug.

I had some tiny shrink wrap for the individual wires and then a larger piece for the whole bundle.

Strip the wires out of the motor about 1/4 inch, solder each one back togther and the shrink wrap each, then the whole bundle.

Hope I get the point across, even reading this back to myself, sounds confusing.

Other people will tell you to bend open the crimps and recrimp. Tried that, worked ok for the first one, was a b.... for the second, so I went with my method.

As they say a picture is worth a 1000 words:

Last edited by TwoTone; 01-30-2009 at 06:42 AM.
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:46 AM   #737
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post

Yes my ESC has a fan. THose are the caps in the srink tubing. Had to move them, didn't stay there very well after hitting the wall.

Then I cut the wires out of the motor to the lenght I wanted minus the overlap from the wires on the plug.

I had some tiny shrink wrap for the individual wires and then a larger piece for the whole bundle.

Strip the wires out of the motor about 1/4 inch, solder each one back togther and the shrink wrap each, then the whole bundle.

Hope I get the point across, even reading this back to myself, sounds confusing.

Other people will tell you to bend open the crimps and recrimp. Tried that, worked ok for the first one, was a b.... for the second, so I went with my method.

One could glue a filler piece to the bottom of speedo to raise the bottom of it the sit flush on rib and thus keeping car intact.
billb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:53 AM   #738
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
One could glue a filler piece to the bottom of speedo to raise the bottom of it the sit flush on rib and thus keeping car intact.
True, but if you look at the picture I posted of my install I actually like the way it makes the wires shorter.
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:36 AM   #739
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
anyone have photos of their chassis with a brushless system (motor and ESC) installed. Preferably, Novak GTB. I'm completely lost on this one. This ESC seems to have wires coming from everywhere, and then there's the huge cap!

This is my first brushless.
Core Creations has run the GTB in each of his TA05 cars, so I know it can be fit in there without being on its side or doing anything funky. I'll catch up with him and see if I can get him to post a pic with all his BL gear mounted up.

In the mean time, heres a pic of my chassis with BL set up. Not a GTB, but its a clean install.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:36 AM   #740
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I have a GTB on my IFS-R and it just fit in there with no mods to the tub. The motor/battery wires are to the back. I'm running an LRP 17.5 (set up for TCS as well). It's geared to 3.64 using an 87t spur and 49t pinion, so the motor is pretty far forward, yielding a little more room for the ESC.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:49 AM   #741
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
I have a GTB on my IFS-R and it just fit in there with no mods to the tub. The motor/battery wires are to the back. I'm running an LRP 17.5 (set up for TCS as well). It's geared to 3.64 using an 87t spur and 49t pinion, so the motor is pretty far forward, yielding a little more room for the ESC.
Can you see the LEDs?
billb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #742
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post

I got it, and it makes perfect sense. If I cannot figure out a way to tie the wire up, or otherwise obscure it I may try the shortening method you use.

Thanks for creating the diagram.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:00 AM   #743
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
Core Creations has run the GTB in each of his TA05 cars, so I know it can be fit in there without being on its side or doing anything funky. I'll catch up with him and see if I can get him to post a pic with all his BL gear mounted up.

In the mean time, heres a pic of my chassis with BL set up. Not a GTB, but its a clean install.

Darkseid: Wow!!! That is a clean installation. Great work. I see the LRP doesn't use a fan. The lack of a fan, plus the use of black wires makes the bulkier wires disappear!

I think that you should post your photo in the thread "Inspire us. Show me your BEST, CLEANEST electronics installation pics."

If you can post photos of your friends chassis with GTB, I would appreciate it.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #744
Tech Master

Quote:
I was test fitting the ESC last night. The ESC sits fine in the space behind the motor, but this ESC seems to have wires protruding from every side. Then the fan gets in the way also. My preference was to have the motor/battery wires near the belt, however, the exposed end of the board the motor/battery wires are soldered to is scary close to the motor mount. I'm afraid of a possible short circuit if I mounted it in that direction.

I just ordered 49, 50, and 51 tooth pinions with 87t spur from Speedtech. I guess I'll gain a little room once I get the spur/pinion mesh established.

Where did you place the cap/diode? That's probably the most bothersome part.

Then there's that stupid on off switch.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #745
Tech Elite

Quote:
Can you see the LEDs?
Yes, but not directly. The ESC is up against the outside edge, so there is a roughly 1/8" gap between the inboard side and the tub. It's just enough room to tell what the LEDs are doing. I'll post pics in a few.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:19 AM   #746
Tech Elite

Phone pics but you get the idea...

Old 01-30-2009, 10:21 AM   #747
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

My GTB motor wires face the motor (front). I used to have the cap ziptied to the rear brace and the switch on the rear tower, but a rear collision broke the switch.
I've since tied the cap wires to the motor wires and mounted the switch on the rear brace. HTH
Old 01-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #748
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
CLEAN! where do you hide the LRP power cap ?
over gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #749
Tech Master

Quote:
Phone pics but you get the idea...

Thanks for posting the photos.

Looks like I could ditch the fan??? At least that's what I was hoping. Also looks like you have shortened the sensor wire???
Old 01-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #750
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
Thanks for posting the photos.

Looks like I could ditch the fan??? At least that's what I was hoping. Also looks like you have shortened the sensor wire???
Yeah, since it's only a 17.5 I ditched the fan and the speedo doesn't get very warm at all.

The sensor wire is a really short one that came with a SpeedPassion 13.5 I have.