Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TA05 IFS

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I learned to race with a TA-05 (tranlation: many, many impacts with the boards) and never broke a single piece. I can't see how the shock tower would help at all in an impact as you're not hitting it directly and the shocks are attached with ball ends. When you hit a wall with a wheel there's no unusual load being absorbed by the shock tower.

We'll see if things are different when I start racing my IFS next weekend. It's an IFS-R though so the suspension parts are the carbon reinforced material.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwoTone
I wonder if it is because its IFS. You know I just started again and I've been hitting walls pretty hard with a TA05 and haven't broken anything yet.
I'm not sure. I've never heard anyone refer to the TA05 as fragile, and I don't think that it is. Who knows, could be just bad luck an coincidence.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by reenmachine
I learned to race with a TA-05 (tranlation: many, many impacts with the boards) and never broke a single piece. I can't see how the shock tower would help at all in an impact as you're not hitting it directly and the shocks are attached with ball ends. When you hit a wall with a wheel there's no unusual load being absorbed by the shock tower.

We'll see if things are different when I start racing my IFS next weekend. It's an IFS-R though so the suspension parts are the carbon reinforced material.
I see your point. However, on the TA05 the shock is attached to the front of the A arm, and also attached to the shock tower. When the wheel is turned inward during an impact, I imagine the wheel's inward movement could be stopped or limited by the shock and the impact would be absorbed by shock and the tower. Without the shock in front of the A arm, as the wheel collapses in an impact that energy is absorbed by the arm, steering link and C carrier, and the C carrier is the weakest part so it's sacrificed. That's just my theory.

I don't know, it just seemed weird that the C carrier basically disintegrated the same in both cars.

I really just wanted to know if there's a wider bumper for peace of mind.

BTW, I think that the carbon reinforced parts are actually more fragile. I think that those parts have less plastic content, and are therefore are less flexible and more prone to breakage. But, I could be wrong.

I bought the TA05 IFS-R also. Just arrived on Thursday. Hope to begin building it this week.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Geppetto
I bought the TA05 IFS-R also. Just arrived on Thursday. Hope to begin building it this week.
You're going to love it. The suspension is so silky smooth with the way it mounts to the chassis and there are so many little details that just perfect the TA05 platform. I am planning on either converting my regular TA05 over or just getting another IFS-R this spring.

BTW, I'd suggest getting four 850 ball bearings for the steering linkage and another four for the IFS rockers. That's really the only thing the kit lacks.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You're going to love it. The suspension is so silky smooth with the way it mounts to the chassis and there are so many little details that just perfect the TA05 platform. I am planning on either converting my regular TA05 over or just getting another IFS-R this spring.

BTW, I'd suggest getting four 850 ball bearings for the steering linkage and another four for the IFS rockers. That's really the only thing the kit lacks.
Do you really think it handles any better? I've priced out the parts and it wouldn't cost much to convert.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Do you really think it handles any better? I've priced out the parts and it wouldn't cost much to convert.

Handling is prolly be the same, just depends on your set up or how you drive. I use to have a regular 05 with alot of hop ups and now I have an IFS r, personally I like the regular 05 because of the ease of adjusting your front damper locations on different tracks, as compared to my IFS r, I have not even touch the links ever since I got it.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

It's not so much the IFS part I'm impressed with but the short lightweight reversible suspension kit. The arms are really nice and the way they mount up is so much nicer/smoother/stronger/more precise than the standard TA05 way. Adding that suspension to a regular TA05 would be a huge upgrade. I just think the IFS system is cool so I'd make that switch at the same time just for kicks.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

It's not so much the IFS part I'm impressed with but the short lightweight reversible suspension kit. The arms are really nice and the way they mount up is so much nicer/smoother/stronger/more precise than the standard TA05 way. Adding that suspension to a regular TA05 would be a huge upgrade. I just think the IFS system is cool so I'd make that switch at the same time just for kicks.
Actually the older 05 version with the TA04/414 arms and susp. is much more stronger, but I have to agree with smoother and so much nicer.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:35 AM
Tech Rookie

hey everyone

Just brought a TA05 IFS-R today and have started building it.
What does everyone think of theres. Also I know they will keep up with other stock cars but what about if I want to start racing mod will this car be good enough.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

What are 850 ball bearings? And regarding the rockers, what do you think of the aluminum rockers?

Last question (for now ), I understand it's necessary to glue the diff rings to the outdrives. What do you use for glue? Could I use Shoe Goo?

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

My misunderstanding, my 2 cars are 'R' so they already had the suspension.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

What are 850 ball bearings? And regarding the rockers, what do you think of the aluminum rockers?

Last question (for now ), I understand it's necessary to glue the diff rings to the outdrives. What do you use for glue? Could I use Shoe Goo?

Thanks!
use CA glue, shoo goo is to thick.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

My misunderstanding, my 2 cars are 'R' so they already had the suspension.
my misunderstanding too, I did not know you where talking about the two R's.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks!
The IFS rockers and steering linkage pivot on brass bushings in the kit. You can replace these bushings with ball bearings for smoother action. The bearings you would need are 850 bearings, or 8mm x 5mm, 4 for the steering and 4 for the rockers. It's not a big difference, but everything else in the IFS-R kit has bearings so why not go all the way for a few extra bucks.

The aluminum rockers are pretty. With the IFS-R you get the carbon-reinforced rockers, so there's no reason to go aluminum except for looks (IMO). The aluminum ones do come with ball bearings though.

I use CA glue for the diff plates. Shoo goo would be too thick.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

Extremely helpful information!!! Thanks guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.