R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #616
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc Driver View Post
As far as lipos hitting the pulley, yes they hit it...I ordered the chassis, installed, was impressed at how nice it looked then put my battery in and was angry!

Obviously there are some ways to make it work...I used the associated battery cups spaced out a bit but didn't like it...went back to the tamiya chassis
are you using a 3racing chassis? also what battery did you use ( mah?)anyone tried penguin chassis for lipo?
cheehtae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:43 AM   #617
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I just ordered a TA05 IFS-R for an upcoming TCS Race at our local track. This will be my first TCS event, and I'm looking forward to it. I'm leaning toward GT2, but GT3 is a possibility.

Are there any parts that I should have on hand for possible breakage?

I would hate to have my day end early because I broke a part and didn't have a replacement.

Thanks
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:14 AM   #618
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
I just ordered a TA05 IFS-R for an upcoming TCS Race at our local track. This will be my first TCS event, and I'm looking forward to it. I'm leaning toward GT2, but GT3 is a possibility.

I would hate to have my day end early because I broke a part and didn't have a replacement.

Thanks
Front C-hub; but I smacked the wall during an T/A oval race at the "C" breaking the C-hub which pushed back the RF wheel but the car still kept going and I finished the race.
billb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:40 AM   #619
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:

Thanks
-Front lower bumper is a weak point. Has broken on past TA05 cars.

-The kit turnbuckles are alum. They look pretty, but if your going to race, you might consider replacing the steering turnbuckles with Tamiya's Titanium units. They're still blue though.

After those two things, there's nothing specific thats weak on the car. Just have the usual spares you would have for any car.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:34 AM   #620
Tech Master

Thanks Guys. Now that you mention it, I recall reading about the weak nature of the turnbuckles.

A friend was testing and setting up his TB03 IFS on Saturday (in preparation for the upcoming TCS Race), and broke one of his front "C" carriers. He said that he was only able to find a replacement from Dinball on ebay.

I guess I'll need to find the part numbers so that I can order these parts ASAP. That TCS race will be here before I know it.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:43 AM   #621
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You should be able to find replacements at rcchamp as well. They carry pretty much anything Tamiya and are more reliable than Dinball.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #622
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks Guys. Now that you mention it, I recall reading about the weak nature of the turnbuckles.

A friend was testing and setting up his TB03 IFS on Saturday (in preparation for the upcoming TCS Race), and broke one of his front "C" carriers. He said that he was only able to find a replacement from Dinball on ebay.

I guess I'll need to find the part numbers so that I can order these parts ASAP. That TCS race will be here before I know it.
I'm in MD and I've ordered from both http://stores.ebay.com/Rdvtg-Hobbies
and http://stores.ebay.com/Vellrip

Good prices and I've received my stuff within 10 days, normally faster
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #623
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post

+1 for Vellrip
billb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #624
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post

I've used vellrip many times with great results, and I've ordered from rdvtg several times lately and have no complaints there either.

I've never had a problem with dinball/rcmart but it sounds like others may have.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #625
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i haven't broken any of my turnbuckles.. the c-hubs and front knuckle arms are the ones that break often during crashes.
Minami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #626
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minami View Post
i haven't broken any of my turnbuckles.. the c-hubs and front knuckle arms are the ones that break often during crashes.
They don't break, but the Blue Alum kits ones bend easy.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #627
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

All the suspension components for the TB-03 & TA-05 IFS are the same as the 416 so getting parts shouldn't more than a click away from any of the usual suspects in the states (speedtechrc, ampdraw, ultimatehobbies, etc). The only difference is the stock TB-03/TA-05IFS parts are a more flexible plastic while the 416 use CF reinforced material which makes it more stiff. Not better or work worse just different properties.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #628
Tech Master

Wow!!! Thanks again guys. Lot's of good information. I'll take a look at the sources located in the US first.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:05 AM   #629
Tech Master

This place is pretty quiet.

Have any of you guys had problems frequently breaking the C carriers on the IFS chassis?

I mentioned in a previous post, a friend breaking his C carrier on his TB03 IFS while testing/preparing for the upcoming TCS Race. That was last week. Well this week he wanted to test/setup his TA05 IFS, and guess what... yup, broke a C carrier after 3 laps. This is with a 17.5 motor meant for TCS GT2 racing.

I know the obvious solution is not to hit anything, however, we all clip a board at sometime. Besides, he is an excellent driver. Not sponsorship level, but A main level for sure.

Anyway, is there a wider bumper, or bumper plate available to help prevent this?

I think the lack of a shock tower to absorb some of the impact is causing the breaks of the C carrier since the A arm and C carrier absorb all of the force of a front wheel (right or left) collision.

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #630
Tech Master

Quote:
This place is pretty quiet.

Have any of you guys had problems frequently breaking the C carriers on the IFS chassis?

I mentioned in a previous post, a friend breaking his C carrier on his TB03 IFS while testing/preparing for the upcoming TCS Race. That was last week. Well this week he wanted to test/setup his TA05 IFS, and guess what... yup, broke a C carrier after 3 laps. This is with a 17.5 motor meant for TCS GT2 racing.

I know the obvious solution is not to hit anything, however, we all clip a board at sometime. Besides, he is an excellent driver. Not sponsorship level, but A main level for sure.

Anyway, is there a wider bumper, or bumper plate available to help prevent this?

I think the lack of a shock tower to absorb some of the impact is causing the breaks of the C carrier since the A arm and C carrier absorb all of the force of a front wheel (right or left) collision.

Thanks!
Larry I wonder if it is because its IFS. You know I just started again and I've been hitting walls pretty hard with a TA05 and haven't broken anything yet.