R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #301
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrictan View Post
Alternatively I can use the original 37T pulley and attach the one-way to the belt. It'll work too.
The original 37T pulley that came with the kit is for the ball diff. It will not fit the one way. The inside diameter of the original pulley that is in the kit is smaller. The inside diameter for the one way pulley is larger to fit the one way. Sure, you could drill it out and try to make it fit. But, you could probably drill it out of round and it would not spin correctly. Order the 37T one way pulley for the durga, like the one shown in post# 291. Be patient, read directions thoroughly (maybe twice), and listen to the advice of others on rctech. No one here or at Tamiya is dumb or trying to mislead you.
R/C Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:58 AM   #302
Tech Rookie

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the TA05 alum bulkhead from 3 racing will work for the rear? I have found the IFS version for the front but I can't seem to find one for the rear...

Help?
CANTA05IFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #303
Tech Master

the front bulkhead is original for the IFS front end so you cannot use it on the rear. Just get the standard rear one for the TA05.

Tamiya manuals are the best in the industry, and never changed since the 80s. Why change something that works?
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:47 PM   #304
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANTA05IFS View Post
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the TA05 alum bulkhead from 3 racing will work for the rear? I have found the IFS version for the front but I can't seem to find one for the rear...

Help?
Someone asked a similar question on page 10, basically the TA05-IFS has a different front bulkhead (i.e. it doesn't have/need the shock absorber tower screw bosses due to the IFS) but there's nothing to stop you using the TA05 front bulkhead and to quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
it will only look weird with the body off but only to those who know the difference.
And with regards to the rear bulkhead the TA05-IFS and TA05 share the same layout.

Personally I've ordered the 3 Racing IFS front bulk head and the 3 Racing TA05 Rear Bulk head
Nexus30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:02 PM   #305
Tech Apprentice

The IFS front bulkhead is different the TA05 (non-IFS). If you use the bulkhead for the TA05 there are screw bosses that will be in the way of the IFS rocker arms. This will cause the rocker arms to bind and the supsension and shocks will not fully compress. If you have an IFS, make sure that you buy an IFS front bulkhead because they are different. The IFS front bulkhead does not have these screw bosses and allows the front suspension to work properly.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:07 PM   #306
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

has anyone used the 3racing carbon fibre lower deck for the IFS? is it good? or anybody know if Tamiya has come out with their own carbon fibre deck? i heard rumours that they(tamiya) already came out with it in Japan.
sammz_987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:23 PM   #307
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/C Rich View Post
The IFS front bulkhead is different the TA05 (non-IFS). If you use the bulkhead for the TA05 there are screw bosses that will be in the way of the IFS rocker arms. This will cause the rocker arms to bind and the supsension and shocks will not fully compress. If you have an IFS, make sure that you buy an IFS front bulkhead because they are different. The IFS front bulkhead does not have these screw bosses and allows the front suspension to work properly.
It will work all you need to do is to move the upper link ball stud to the forward position because that is the only place the rocker link will rub on. The five holes for the upper link are positioned further forward on the IFS.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:35 AM   #308
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the responses. I already knew that the front differs from the TA05 and that i would require the IFS version for the front. It was primarily the rear that i was interested in.
CANTA05IFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:56 AM   #309
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The rears of the two cars are identical with the exception of the hop-up woven-graphite shock towers. The IFS version has the outer ends lower so the lower portion of the body mount posts will clear the IFS bodies...
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:25 PM   #310
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Teach me this.

Will tightening the ball diff to the rear naturally cause the rear wheels to lock when you release the throttle?
adrictan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:00 PM   #311
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrictan View Post
Teach me this.

Will tightening the ball diff to the rear naturally cause the rear wheels to lock when you release the throttle?
When tighting the rear diff, the less diff action you will have and the more it will act like a solid diff (spool). The tighter the rear diff the looser (more overstear) the car will. However, when you say 'lock' the rear wheels when you release the throttle it sounds like something may be binding in the rear. Is the rear smooth when you turn it by hand? Is the rear dragging to a quick stop when you release the throttle? when you are on throttle does the motor work harder than it should? does the motor overheat? It is hard to understand what you speak of when I cannot see your car. It sounds like you may need to take the rear apart and rebuild it. Even if you are unsure, rebuild it. It will give you good practice in rebuilding diffs.

In addition, the binding could be from the rear hubs, bearings, drive shaft. Like I said, it is hard to tell without looking at your car.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:28 PM   #312
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

A tighter rear diff (than front) will make the car more prone to over-steer.

A tighter front diff (than rear) will make the car more prone to under-steer.

If a diff is too loose, the balls will slip on the plates inside. This will quickly flat-spot the balls and groove out the plates ruining the diff.

I start by making the rear diff as loose as possible (without slipping). Then I make the front diff a bit tighter than the rear to keep the car going straight...
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #313
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Hello,
I was wondering what you guy's think of the 05IFS -vs- 05?
It would be used as a GT3 and maybe 17.5.
I am thinking of getting a IFS-R.
Thank you for the help
Dave
Old 06-28-2008, 01:17 AM   #314
Tech Master

I prefer the IFS since you can use low profile bodies. Don't know if the NSX2007 is allowed in TCS, but the lightweight ebbro is definitely worth it. The IFS dominates the midclass in TGP. I think that's why the TB-03 was released, to give that class more variations in chassis.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:44 AM   #315
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Putting 2 front one-way for both the front and rear, will it be good for drifting? Does that mean I won't be able to reverse?
adrictan is offline   Reply With Quote