R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-14-2007, 01:15 AM   #1
Tech Adept
Default Removing Tires from Rim...Help

Just got some brand new Tires and Rims...after a few speed runs. Found out that the foam inside the tires have shifted. Since the tires are glueed onto the rims (with CA). how do I remove that stuff so I can fix the foam problem.
chumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:52 AM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

IF these are onroad tires(i assume) your wasting your time. By the time u ever get them off the rim, you'll be out a set of rims and maybe tires. Escpecially if they are pre-mounts. I would try masaging the tire to move the insert back in place. I have not heard of this problem before? Are they molded foam or that cheap fluffy stuff like u get with offroad tires?
"Without Rules its just Backyard Bashing!"
Joel Lagace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
Tech Adept

You could try dipping the weels in acetone for 24 hours. CA disolves in acetone.

1. Before you do this, try rubbing an acetone wet cloth on one of the wheels, to see if it is damaged. The plastic some wheels are made of, also disolves in acetone!
2. If the wheels can handle acetone, you can go on. You might notice though, that the tires will get a little harder and will shrink a bit after 24 hours in acetone.
3. Don't do this in your room. Acetone is not a good thing to inhale. Do it outdoors or in your basement!
billtc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Put them in the oven. Preheat to 350 then turn the oven off. Insert the tires and wait about 10-15 minutes. Pull them out and let them cool. They should then peel right off the rim. The tire, rim, and foam will all be reuseable.
gubbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:50 AM   #5
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Dane Send a message via Skype™ to Dane

You can also boil the rims/tires - no need for harmful acetone.
"the big secret is to keep practicing and never get discouraged when taking a good beating on the track" - Paul L
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:56 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

from Mr.Maim

hope this helps -

"- The Boiling Water Trick -
This method did not work very well for me at all. I tried a full boil for 15 minutes and maybe 15% of the bead un-sealed, and then only partially. I put it back in for another hour and still had to use a knife for more than half of the bead. I see suggestions for boiling overnight, but I feel that if I have to use that much electricity (it'd probably be a buck or two) I may as well take a faster approach.

- The Microwave Oven Trick -
This worked marginally well. One minute is enough to get the tire hot as hell, gets the foam insert hotter, and does a good bit to soften up the CA bond. BUT, it also seems to damage the rubber of the tire if you put it in too much longer. What seems to work is putting one wheel in for one minute facing up, take it out and WEARING HEAVY GLOVES pull the tire away from the rim both front and back until it stops coming off. Then let it cool for a few minutes and then put it back in for 30 seconds facing down. Take it back out and pull the tire away from the rim again until it doesn't come off any more. Repeat. The foam gets lumpy and weird from the microwave so I'd toss it.

- The Acetone Trick -
This worked well but took by far the longest. Get a sealable container (like Tupperware or something that the acetone won't eat through) because the acetone will evaporate if left in the open, and the fumes are horrible. Fill the container up 1/2" deep with acetone then put the wheel in, weighing it down so that it does not float, and close it up air tight. Set a timer for THREE HOURS. After the time is up, remove the wheel and (using rubber gloves) (watch out for the chemical vapors!) pull the tire away from the rim. The acetone does an excellent job of dissolving the CA, leaving it with a consistency of snot, but not sticky, just gooey. Squeeze the acetone out of the foam tire insert back into the container, turn the wheel over so that the opposite side is facing down, add more acetone if necessary, close container and set timer for three hours again. When the time is up, remove tire from container and pull it away from the rim. It should, for the most part come off. You can forget about the foam insert, it expands to about three times its original size. Contrary to what you might think, the acetone does no damage to either the tire or the rim!

- The Conventional Oven Trick -
This worked the best, and most consistently. Pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Once the oven is up to temperature, place the wheel in the oven, on a piece of foil, directly on the rack, with the rack in the middle of the oven. Bake the wheel for 15 minutes, and no more. Remove the wheel from the oven, and wearing HEAVY GLOVES pull the tire away from the rim. The oven actually "bakes" the CA glue so it becomes very brittle, and the tire should separate from the wheel easily. Work both sides of the rim (front and back). Don't force it. If it does not come off entirely, immediately put the wheel back in for 3 to 5 minutes, NO MORE. Remove from the oven and pull the rest of the tire away from the rim. The heat from the oven will not damage the tire, the rim, or the foam, so all three are re-usable if you need to do so.

For these experiments I used two sets (4 individual) of wheels. The tires are Team Losi A-7635s or Panther Switch 2.0s on ProLine 2.2 rims. I'll be using "The Conventional Oven Trick" for the other 20 sets of wheels. It just worked out to be the fastest and most consistent for me. Not to say that the other methods don't work, they do, the oven trick just worked the best for my situation. I think if I'm feeling really picky and want to get all of the dried CA glue that is left on the rims and tires after baking them, I may soak everything in acetone for an hour or two to get them perfect.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I hope that this thread will help others in the future!

alecladanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:57 AM   #7
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dane
You can also boil the rims/tires - no need for harmful acetone.
tried this and the rims were deformed..
TeamXray, TeamAssociated, Esky, Tamiya
rcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:54 AM   #8
Tech Regular

tried this and the rims were deformed..
yes, this happened when I heated with a wellers heat gun...

I maight try the oven trick, as I want to reuse the rims from my first car (traxxas 4-tec) and they are some trick rims! I dont care about ruining the stock hard-compound basher tire on it but Im worried about the wheel deforming...

any thing else i should know?
R.O.A.R. region 11 stock rubber carpet champion
Sponsored by: Hot Bodies

HB Cyclone Moore Speed WCE Edition - HB/BMI Cyclone(foam)
Team Magic G4RS pwered by EB mods and O.S. engines
Little_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:17 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like the oven trick is the way to go. Now just have to find an oven or talk the wife into letting me do it with ours...LOL. I might try to aceotone method as well since I have tons of that stuff.
chumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:26 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

boiling trick works everytime for me with 1/10 scale trucks.
Rustler_5700 is offline   Reply With Quote