R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   FK'05 - LIPO - Min. Weight 3.306 - Lets be creative! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/162912-fk05-lipo-min-weight-3-306-lets-creative.html)

CaliberX 05-11-2007 05:28 PM

FK'05 - LIPO - Min. Weight 3.306 - Lets be creative!

Running stock rubber - last nite I loaded up the car - but the pyramids of weights were flying off the car after wall slaps....

I know the easy answer is to stop the wall slaps - but that ain't going to be a easy as finding a creative way to add a crap load of weight to this chassis.

With 45000+ members I'm sure some creative juices can be stirred up to give me some ideas here.

I best I got is to sho goo the pyramids together and sho goo to the chassis.

Considering molding weights from lead? Any tips with that?

Jake S 05-11-2007 06:12 PM

the fk has mounting locations for weights....

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...%20-%203%20pcs)

CaliberX 05-11-2007 07:25 PM

I realise that - but fitting about 255 grams (about 9 oz) is diffilcult even with your option.

Jake S 05-11-2007 07:29 PM

my fk'05 is 3.36 in race trim, no weight added....my irs tc3 was 3.30 in race trim with no weight added (with 55mm tires, not even the huge 61mm tires lol)

of course my fk'05 has alittle aluminum on it, i want to get aluminum rear hubs and front carriers too (would get front steering blocks too, but i want some give, so other more expensive stuff doesn't break lol)

but i have ib4200s....i really have no idea to add more weight

maybe shoe glue and ratchet tie weights on the top-plate?

wcalaker 05-11-2007 07:37 PM

I have an Orion 4800 lipo in my 05. I race stock rubber on carpet. Id take some pics but my wife has my camera and she's out of town.
Get yourself some lead weights with the double sided tape already mounted on it. They sell it in the airplane section at my lhs. I believe its made by Dubro but its been a long time and I honestly dont remember. Airplane people use them ...check out an airplane hobby store. It comes in two long strips for about $3.
I have a battery strap on my 05. I put one strip all the way across the strap. On the side of the lipo put another whole strip and curve it into the body so its flush with the chassis. Basically it bends a little inwards after it passes the end of the battery pack. Then, cut the lead into small pieces and with your lipo strapped in, stick the pieces on the bottom of the battery and make sure it doesnt protrude pass the chassis.
I forget the amount of weight but you want to put a piece behind the motor and on the other side...basically where the XRay pieces are supposed to go. Then on top of the top plate put some more weight. I forget exactly how much but if you look on XRays site i think Hudy himself has a great setup for stock rubber and it says how much to put.

The double sided tape lead weights work excellent. None of mine have come off yet and I have hit many a wall and have done some spectacular rolls and jumps down the straightaway that would make the Duke boys proud. Im probably gonna be at the track tomorrow, if ya want I can see who makes the lead strips and post it here for ya .

Good luck.

CaliberX 05-11-2007 08:05 PM

I got lead up the wazoo - Great Planes makes some of the strips you talk about.

Two Carbon 3200 together are lighter than one 4200 NiMH!! I don't have a strap - but I think I might have to get one. I didn't want to put weight up there - but I think the room will force me too.

Thanks for the post tho - makes my brain gurgle a little :P

wcalaker 05-11-2007 08:26 PM

Ya I didnt really want to put one up there either...but it seemed the easiest and most convienant way of doing it. Since Im not a top driver im not all too concerned about the cg...just having fun out there. Ive seen some put the weight on both sides of the battery and the bottom, then tape it in like normal.

Good luck.

TylerOwenby 05-11-2007 08:29 PM

Here are some weights for running lipos these are really good to use.

http://nexusracing.net/product_info....84dcb7a1599fe6

syndr0me 05-11-2007 08:53 PM

Look into tungsten weights.

http://www.maximum-velocity.com/speed_supplies.htm

SWTour 05-11-2007 10:55 PM

...you want to get really creative w/ weight?

Go to a local TIRE shop and pick up old tire weights...

Get an old cast iron skillet or something you can melt the weights in and create a mold in the shape of an area you want to mount the weight in your car.

Pour is, let it cool, drill it and your chassis in the location you want it.

Shoe goo it in position and run a flathead screw up from the bottom and nut and washer the top...IT SHOULD NEVER MOVE...

just an idea~

ford_racing 05-12-2007 03:20 AM

Easy: Find some dark matter from Futurama :lol:

Seriously, 225g is a lot I've seen 200+ mounted on a cyclone, you need to get creative, the stick down lead works nice,
Under the belt, under the diffs(between the housings) in the front bumper (close to 80g fitted), along the battery brace

just think where you have space when you have the car RTR, any space you can see the deck is a place for lead

SWTour 05-13-2007 01:15 PM

how about instead of adding so much weight...working on getting a rules change to allow lighter cars w/ the use of LIPO and work on having less tire wear w/ a lighter car...

If everybody runs lipo, the weight would end up pretty equal wouldn't it?

tallyrc 05-13-2007 01:27 PM

careful SW, crazy talk like that will only cause fights! :) lighter cars are more efficient, create less wear, and break less parts and nobody wants that right? you say it like tire wear is bad....

on a serious note, smelting lead casually is not such a good idea.. i you try it, study up on it and follow good safety practices..