Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Li-po pack= slow car?! help! >

Li-po pack= slow car?! help!

Li-po pack= slow car?! help!

Old 05-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B18C Turbo
I just cannot see the justification in why they charge triple for an Orion pack.
Ummmm....'cause they actually work?
Old 05-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

uhhhh I garuntee that these cells are as good quality as the stuff Orion or Maxamps uses just without a label. Im not sure what the C rating is, i emailed the seller and if I remember right it was a 20C, im not sure positive but what does that mean?
How can you guarantee they are as good as the higher priced cells?

C rating is how fast you can discharge them. Higher C rating means you can pull higher continuous amps from the cells without damaging them. When you draw more amperage from them than you should, they get hot, voltage drops, and they get damaged.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Those batteries might be good in some slow flyer who wants to get get 3/4 hour flight time with a low amp motor. Makes my neck hurt thinking about it.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:14 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Ummmm....'cause they actually work?
No ...
They will work better ....
Old 05-11-2007, 09:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

uhhhh I garuntee that these cells are as good quality as the stuff Orion or Maxamps uses just without a label.
LOL, At one third the price? You should post a link to the auction.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Used my Team Orion/Peak Racing 3200 and 4800 on my F103GT/TA05R with 10X3 and 4.5 BL.........tab the throttle and cars bang to the door (running in my basement with carpet....big mistake).......batteries is as good or even better then matched IB4200WC.......except, last alot longer and less work.

So I think it is the batteries..........another reason why buy name brand product, you can get TECH SUPPORT (here on Rctech) or call them if things go south....just here in Rctech, several Team Orion representative are answering question and taking care of customer support...

Try ask the customer support thru EBAY or that no brand name battery place in CHINA.....
Old 05-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Tech Addict

I will not go into the obvious as others have already, but I will offer possible solution t your problem. It sounds like the cells have gone out of balance.

I would balance them and see if your performance goes back to where it should have been. If not then I would listen to what others have said as they appear to have done things differently and had a much better experience.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

We did find that going from NiMH to LiPo (at weight) required a slight change in gearing, perhaps going up a tooth or two.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
The cells are triple the quality, and over triple the safety. I would strongly suggest you take some time to educate yourself about LiPo before doing anything else with them. If that seems like too much trouble, you may want to stick with NiMH. There is no bargain with cheap LiPo, just danger and lackluster performance.

Stop what you're doing and read every page of this thread. Then, properly dispose of that cheap LiPo you bought and save your pennies for a quality pack.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=154155
wow I had no idea. After reading that I will go and buy the platinum orion packs then. Sucks the $$ i spent on 3 no name packs coulda got me a nice orion pack. If I had only known!
Old 05-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I would get some maxamps or trackpower li-po batteries. They are the best of the best. Orion is good but they charge a lot because of the well known name. You can get a lot more for your money.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

I shoulda researched! I droped $135 on the platinum Orion when I coulda got a 6000mah maxamp for $100! Oh well still a good pack and if I need another battery I will go with the maxamp pack!
Old 05-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by seth556
I would get some maxamps or trackpower li-po batteries. They are the best of the best. Orion is good but they charge a lot because of the well known name. You can get a lot more for your money.
Please don't try to pass off your opinion as fact. The "name" is everything, as each company has radically different standards of testing and quality. TrakPower (Enerland) and MaxAmps unknown Chinese LiPo work fine, but they lack the cycle life and probably the safety of Kokam's (Orion) cells. You get what you pay for. Period. Being cheap with LiPo is a recipe for disappointment and disaster.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The C ratings for everybody is basically a lie.

The lipo world is still in it's infancy, and the marketing guys are having a field day. Everybody is trying to outdo the next guy with the claims..... "my C rating is bigger than yours".... And as we all know, the first liar doesn't stand a chance.

Everybody claims a "constant" and a "burst" discharge rating. Completely ignore the "burst", and use the "constant" rating as the actual "burst" and knock the claimed "constant" rating in half. That's much closer to reality in my experience.

rcgroups.com has a huge sticky thread in the battery subforum with independant tests on a bunch of different manufacturer's lipos. Might be worthwhile to do some reading......
Old 05-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Dont be dissing MaxAmps packs, they rock. My 6000 by MaxAmps is still going strong. Kokam is probably the best out of the gate however.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Dont be dissing MaxAmps packs, they rock. My 6000 by MaxAmps is still going strong. Kokam is probably the best out of the gate however.
I'm sure they're fine packs. But, you notice the won't disclose the source of their batteries, while other companies wear it proudly, like a badge?

If I needed more capacity than 4800, I'd go with MaxAmps for sure, but I wouldn't have any false hopes about how they compare to other cells. Getting what you pay for is okay if you're realistic about it.