Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Pits, better than Sorex?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

billy..ya i know...paul won on sorex..(control tire)..i think he also won a norcca nats in minn (twin citys) with sorex...i used the tires exclusivly this summer and love them.....here is what you might not like...i also like the pit tires....i feal they work well...i used them for years before they went away...on carpet....i think that neither is faster, it just depends on which you can get....for parking lots though....youcan not and will never beat the 36..it rocks....
Old 11-30-2001, 06:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Whats up Mr.Losi, How is the carpet track their ? Still around and open? Are you going to the Novak race in Wi. @ trackside ? Your dead right. What ever tire that suits your driving is the best. Mr. Losi you only answered one question and the Min. race was not in the quiz. HAHA LOL
Both tires pretty much dominate on carpet. If you do not tested on the track you race on with some sort of lap system, you will not tell that either tires is faster. Testing is everything and keeping notes and lap times the same day is the ticket.

Adrian, you say you ran 30 runs a set of Pit tires on carpet and put a new sent on and did not go faster ? You better check your stop watch. LOL You will not tell me you ran 30 runs on a set of Pit tires and then put a new set on and it did not make the differance. We have and tested hundreds of sets of tires on carpet and asphalt and always have different lap times with a new set or 4 or 5 runs on the tire.

RACER X, Did you test the tires yet ?
Old 11-30-2001, 07:18 AM
Administrator

billy...yes i will be at the novak race....never miss it....our track is going pretty well...could use more racers though....

billy i am sure masami dave and that other name, were on sorex....as for the d, i would only guess, diameter, and r, radius....only guesses, and am sure not right....the compuond designer, possibly you????? again only guesses, just playing along....
Old 11-30-2001, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

You were close, as I am to you in distance. 2,364.06 miles away.LOL I will see you there, Novak.
Old 11-30-2001, 07:40 AM
Administrator

you could give me the tires just for playing along...ha ha ....i am very exited for the race....it is about the only big race i get to go too any more.....scotty does a great job....see ya then...
Old 11-30-2001, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Knowing Billy ...he probably will Mr. Losi ...one thing I gotta add to this thread, ever since I started using Sorex's I've become a CHICK MAGNET so you can add that to the list of pro's for Sorex tires.
Old 11-30-2001, 08:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Mann I ran some of them there SoreAXe tires and my car never turned so bad in its life time.........that was my rendition of some one from GA. talking about Sorex tires.

I have yet to use the new Pits but last winter I ran the Sorex tires and the only thing I have to say is that they are fast for 2 runs then they are solwer after that. With the old pits they lasted about 10 fast runs then started to fall off. I think that the Sorex tires are too thin and get hot and fall off way to quick, if I had an unlimited budget I would only run them but I dont.
Old 11-30-2001, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Kevin K, what is a SoreAXe ?
Old 12-01-2001, 08:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Harshguy,

A chick magnet??? are you sure?

About Sorex tires:

Just about everybody at SoCal Raceway (Our biggest (and only) indoor track here in Southern Cali) run sorex 36R tires. The reason why is that they were able to get about 20+ run on them (for the stock guys) without a significant performance drop. Now the weather is getting colder, guys are switching over to 32R and 28R, and they are getting a little bit less than 18-20 runs out of them.

I ran these tires myself during the ROAR Nats (they were the control tire), and even in 160+ track temperature, you could use just one set of control tire all weekend if you wanted to (excluding practice). But of course for optimal performance, you would mount a new set every run if you can.

I personally think that tire wear is not just determined from the tire rubber compound/thickness and the surface alone. It also have to do with the car setup just like real racing (camber, toe, caster angles) and also how you drive.

I've also tried the New Pit 24R compound, and they work just as well. However, I haven't run them long enough to see how long their life line is.

Thanks

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
Old 12-02-2001, 09:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You dont want to know what a SOREaxe is........who knows you might allready have one????.....hehehehe j/k. Next time you talk to someone from GA ask them they can fill you in.....maybe in more ways then one.
Old 12-03-2001, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

lol sorex are goood tires ... well i run them and its like running ur car on fixed railway tracks ... GLUED down
and if i dont setup my car stiff enuff i will flip about 2-4 feet off the ground on sharp high speed turns lol ... looks like a plane 4 a moment
Old 12-06-2001, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Well, I tested tires last night on carpet and felt that the Pit tires were not for me. I tested 2 different sets of Pit tires with the inserts recomended my Adrian and others and 2 sets of Sorex tires with Sorex inserts. I could not go 16 laps on pits, but I do on Sorex tires.The pits were good when they were working on a consistant basis, but on my car they did not. Now, here is a proven fact, that a pit so call driver or pit believer was on pits tires for the 2 1/2 hours practice before racing. So he decided after practicing for that time he would try a set of Sorex tires. Now, he might have been running 15 laps and some seconds in 4 min time with Pits on his car during practice. His lap times were 16.4 to 16.0 on pits, his lap times on Sorex wre in the 15.7 to 16.0. Three days prior Jimmy Jacobson a factory team driver for Tamiya went 16 :4 08.?? which he is always extreamly fast. Well this driver that showed up on Pit tires ended up going 16/4:05 on Sorex tires and was very very happy and left with Sorex tires on his car. I hope that this racer comes on and tell his story about the tires. I might be off a little on my story, but everybody tell a story different. This is just my opion about the tires.
?????????? I can hear it now......
Old 12-06-2001, 08:57 AM
Tech Adept

Default Inserts for carpet....

What inserts are you running with your Pit or Sorex tires?

Post opinions. Med or Hard? Thin or Thick? High Traction or High Pressure? Brand?
Old 12-06-2001, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

Hello Xrayeye,

I used Sorex 28r in frt. and Sorex 24r in rear with A type insert all around in one set and B type in another set. The Sorex A type in the one set I ran was about 2 tens slower than the B type. The reason for that what I can feel was the B tybe was more aggresive on steering and the rear bite was close to same as type A. I could have put a set of 20r on rear and I would bet I would have been dialed. But since I did not test that it would be hard to say that. The Sorex insert makes a M-A type and a M-B type (medium). The A type is thicker and fills the tire up more for less air gap.
Sorex just came out with the Firm insert this week and will be tested next week.

The pit tires I ran had the echo j4430m (red) that fill the tire up close to max. The other set I ran had Yokomo Med. I did like the yokomo a little better, put the insert shifts around a little to much and I also fell that it breaks down to fast on extra useage. So in general the Pits/echo wins over Pit/yokomo. The Pit tire from what I tested was just not consistant from lap to lap. More testing will be done...
I can go into tire dia. and weight later, put Sorex is lighter by at least 12 - 16 grams a set of tires. This is to serious for me to really get in to.

We race at a carpet track here in Stockton (Ripon Speedway) Which is if not the largest carpet track in the country and very nice facility. We are asphalt drivers and not totally carpet drivers so opions are different from you guys that race carrpet all the time.

This is my opion, all tires can and will work different for each drive.
Any driver can win with one of these two makers.
I like Sorex....and I do like sorex inserts.

Answer for last quiz test. Masami won every race on Sorex tires in 2001 and can prove this. website , ect.

Lemuiex won on Sorex.

D- stand for Dunlop Tire company. ( the real Dunlop Tire mixs compound for Pits now.

R- for the Sorex brand

The tire engineer and compound maker and mixer. (original)
Mr Saiki Team Sorex, then he went off on his own to make Sorex tires.
Old 12-06-2001, 01:13 PM
Administrator

ya know i should have known the dunlap...it was written on the old s-treds....billy....try the pit med hard inset in the pits....i like them the best....with the sorex, i like the hpi inserts....but i have not tryed the sorex inserts....which are stiffer type a or b????

matt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.