Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Why we choose the electric on-road, not others? >

Why we choose the electric on-road, not others?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why we choose the electric on-road, not others?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 02:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have raced nitro 1/8 off-road before and leave because it was plain too much dirty... I still have a nitro LST, but I'm planning transforming it on brushless.. just for fun... and at the end, to get it a little cleaner....
regarding on-road, i haven't tried nitro, but I use to race on a track with nitro cars, and i would say that with lipo and brushless you can race with them... the only thing is when they engage 2nd gear at the end of the straight... don't be in the front of them...

I have to agree with many others around that nitro is dirtier, however, i don't think they carry more stuff than us to the field... equipment wise, I think we, electric racers, invest much more on the "other stuff" besides the car itself.... and end up with more junk to carry along
Old 05-10-2007, 03:09 AM
Tech Adept

I race in 1:10 Electric TC - stock and mod.
Why? - Easy to work on, clean, no greas or muddy mess, small and light to carry on. Super fast with BL system or hot modified motors. Here, we dont have 1:10 electric off-road tracks. Guys are running here large scale but i don't like it.....to big, to loud, to heavy, to slow and cars, parts and tires cost like gold.....
Old 05-10-2007, 06:48 AM
Tech Champion

any form of racing can be great, it just depends on your area and the people doing it.

where i'm at (florida) I can run..

clean high bite indoor off-road where i change out the foam insert every couple of months, skim the comm every 2-3 weeks, have as much fun from round 1 to round 4 (mains)

or sand pit hell outdoor off-road and need new tires every other event along with bearings every so often.

Or I can do dirt oval (same high bite indoor clay) with the ready to run mentality (remember guys, the wall at the end of the straight is undefeated)

or travel 2 hours to race on-road and be out to lunch as I dont run it enough, 140F asphalt temps aren't enjoyable to me and chances are it gets rained out unless its middle of winter here (our drier months). my on-road stuff has been parked since november.

for me the choice is clear.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

I'm actually back to indoor off road (we don't have any out door tracks)... High bite clay and I actually leave cleaner than I did running carpet on road...
Old 05-10-2007, 06:58 AM
Tech Champion

I tried off road for a little, but never really liked it. Touring cars all the way for me
Old 05-10-2007, 06:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

EP onroad, cleaner, quiter, more depend on setting than hand as I'm poor on hand but good on setting
Old 05-10-2007, 07:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Running both...

Running both, electric, especially now with BL/Li-po is just as fast (sometimes faster) than nitro. Gets dirty (dusty), but not affixed dust because there is nothing to adhere to (oil). Nitro, just the sound of it is what keeps me coming back. That and its a challenge. Electric is point and shoot, nitro, a bit more involved to stay running fast. That in itself is worth the effort. The mess, well simple green, denatured alcohol and one strong wire brush keeps things in perspective for me.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Electric off road is also the land of 2 run tires so staying competative costs an arm and a leg.
Wow, you have to be kidding me. And sedan tires last a long time? Then why do they throw new tires on every run at big races?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:49 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by DavidAlford
Wow, you have to be kidding me. And sedan tires last a long time? Then why do they throw new tires on every run at big races?

It is Obvious is`nt it !

Adrian does not do the dirt ....
Old 05-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
I'm actually back to indoor off road (we don't have any out door tracks)... High bite clay and I actually leave cleaner than I did running carpet on road...
I was talking about this topic with a buddy last week and I pointed out the very same thing to him. He stayed away from off-road because he thought on-road was cleaner and I told him it depends on where you race off-road.

At a good indoor off-road track, all you need to do is tap the bottom of the chassis to get the loose dirt out if there is any. With a touring car, you'll need pressurized air to remove all the schmutz after every race. IMO, indoor electric off-road is cleaner than paved, concrete, or carpet on-road.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Can race indoors all year around! MUCH CLEANER..
Old 05-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

carpet gets your car all fluffy :P thats why we got laminate flooring in our house now... i can drive my cars round the lounge (and leave black marks on the doors, walls, skirting boards, ceilings, curtains, tv screen etc)
Old 05-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DavidAlford
Why do you cut your comm and rebrush every run at big races?

Why do you buy new batts for big races?

Why do you buy new plastic and rebuild you car for big races?

Because when you spend $2000 to fly and race at a big event you don't take chances.

Also, race promotors have tried to limit the number of tires allowed at races like the Reedy, IIC etc... but when they did you all complained that you wanted more tires. So...you now have the ability to buy more tires.

At club races I can run a set of RP30's for ~6 runs before they fall off and get too slow to race. At the 2006 On Road Nats Rick Howart TQ the last round in Mod and set the fast time of the week on 2nd run tires.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Leodis
I was talking about this topic with a buddy last week and I pointed out the very same thing to him. He stayed away from off-road because he thought on-road was cleaner and I told him it depends on where you race off-road.

At a good indoor off-road track, all you need to do is tap the bottom of the chassis to get the loose dirt out if there is any. With a touring car, you'll need pressurized air to remove all the schmutz after every race. IMO, indoor electric off-road is cleaner than paved, concrete, or carpet on-road.
The only crappy thing is when they decide to flood the track instead of just dampening it....
Old 05-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

just to say

i have a bl revo, got another project up cummin, my bl 8ight t, need to get down to recue, YAY! i got a dirt track to

but elec, bl just RULES! the torque outa turns and all that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.