Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Funky tire wear... >

Funky tire wear...

Funky tire wear...

Old 05-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default Funky tire wear...

I've raced 3 different touring cars as of now, and they all get some sort of ridge on the inside of the front tires. My Cyclone S managed to cut through one of the tires in a race day (read=maybe 30 minutes of real running).

What causes this?

here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

Check out the inner fronts.

I've run mainly CS27s on my cars...is it a tire thing?
Old 05-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Tech Addict

too much front camber
Old 05-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Looks like you need to raise the ride height to. In the front.
I'd like to see the top view, it looks like toe in to?
Old 05-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Tech Addict

thats the only pic of my old XRAY that I have, but my Cyclone S is doing it also, but a LOT worse.

im looking at the car now, and the inside of the tires are quite a bit smaller than the outside on all four ends. the rears have a tick smaller ridge though. could be a camber thing, as this was setup for carpet after all...

but i'll keep toying with it, and chiming back in with progress (if any)
Old 05-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Id throw it on a setup station and see how much negitive camber you have on the front and back, my guess would be it's more than -2 wich is the most you should ever need. Also while it is on there check the toe out in the front, I have +1.5 which is a little high, it is usually around +1 in the front and -3 in the back.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Check camber, but I'd say it is the front wheels have too much toe in. It used to happen to me alot. When I toed the front wheels out a bit, no more radical tire wear. With too much toe in, the tires fight each other when turning in to corners. Just turn the steering all the way to one side and see that the outside wheel is turning in while the inside wheel doesn't turn as much when it should be turning more. Ackerman related problem.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

CS27's are kind of notorious for getting that ridge when there's too much camber. They even do it a little bit when you have the right camber. It comes from the amount of tire squirm you're getting. The carcass is literally folding over. Check your camber (make sure it's around 1 to 1.5 degrees) and toe settings (try and set it as close to 0 as you can) and toss a set of RP30's on it.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
CS27's are kind of notorious for getting that ridge when there's too much camber. They even do it a little bit when you have the right camber. It comes from the amount of tire squirm you're getting. The carcass is literally folding over. Check your camber (make sure it's around 1 to 1.5 degrees) and toe settings (try and set it as close to 0 as you can) and toss a set of RP30's on it.
gotta agree, I sometimes get that with CS27's.

I've just burned through two sets of RP30's. one set per 5-race club meet. I doubt I will buy them again, or at least, not for club/weekend racing, I was seeing canvas after four runs.

Must say the RP30's give great grip and handling compared to a CS27 though!
Old 05-10-2007, 03:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

It could also be that your inserts are too soft and that they are not giving enough support to the tire which can cause this wear. Are these tires you're mounting yourself or are they premounts, I do not recognize the rims. Please take other pics of either car and give more info on your tire combos.

Steve
Old 05-10-2007, 05:02 AM
Tech Elite

I always get this too when running rubber on tarmac. Unfortunately I only race on tarmac infrequently so haven't worked out exactly what is happening.

I think the suggestions of too much steering lock and too soft an insert are probably valid.

But I also think that too little camber may be a factor, not too much. If you look at the wear it is as if the tyre is folding in on itself, rather than just wearing around the inside. With more negative camber the tyre should be more evenly loaded mid-corner.

I also wish more manufacturers would make inserts that "fill" the tyres again. These low profile inserts may give good traction but they don't help with wear at all.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Tech Addict

I hope these pics are good enough, dont think the powershot is doing its thing...
here is the Cyclone...

These are the 27s (take-offs premounted)...

I'm missing a knuckle as it was absolutely destroyed last time I ran it, but front toe looks to be at or close to 0.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

jemciv, your camera focused too far away. You can fix this by putting the Canon in macro mode (the flower icon).
Old 05-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Tech Addict

heres another pic of the tires (much much clearer now..ty adamge)

EDIT: Just by looking at them, I believe I know which corner each of them came off of. from left to right, its RR, RL, FR, FL.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

way tooo much camber
Old 05-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'd be interested to see the take-off's used with a different insert, maybe something thats not take-off... curious. I've had this happen in the past, and always with using the blue medium take-off insert. hrmmmm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.