Funky tire wear...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Funky tire wear...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Tech Adept

Nothing to do with camber, there just is too much room between the insert and the tire.

Put electricians tape on the rim before mounting the insert and tire and the ridge will be gone. (Grip will be a bit less though)
Old 05-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I agree with Jon....the best you can hope for is to reduce the wear ridge with less camber. The tire is folding over. Same thing happens to my CS27s and I've tried a ton of different set ups.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Another insert is the only solution I think, I drove CS27 for 2 years I think, and the pre-glued ones have this problem.

When you go to the harder types of inserts (Hpi red, blue) its getting a lot better (or with me it does).

Changing the camber will help it somewhat but not a lot, the pre-glued CS27s move too much sideways (you know what I mean) and this means that the tire with the most weight on it (outside tire) the sidewall and the tire surface make quite an angle it will scrape on -> hence the ring

(my opinion, maybe someone has a better explanation)
(btw, a smooth driving style might help somewhat as well...)
Old 05-11-2007, 03:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

My tires do it too, it way anyoys me as its darn expensive to waste tyres in one or 2 race meets even in 540 or stock, i am trying all different setups to fix this problem at the moment, but not much results yet still testing.

One tip I got from a pro was to rotate the tyres after every heat as it will happen no matter what if you leave the same tyres on the same corner of the car every heat. tho setup can reduce it a bit.

my car does it way worse on the battery side, i take it its from that side being heavier and loading the tyres more, & take offs do it worse as well.

if you go li-po (weight reduction on one side(even balance) & run sorex tyres, that will solve it a lot...

i supose, its not a problem if your sponsered or very rich, but if you are just a club racer on a budget, well it sucks...
Old 05-11-2007, 04:25 AM
Tech Regular

this once happen in my early r/c days,

it could be insert is pressed on one side wall of tyre (watch tyre asembly direction), and yet trapped there after gluing..

after put insert and rubber tyre on rim, I always slip in small screwdriver between rim and insert+tyres and turn it around along the rim one or two times, this I believe to release or equalise overall insert pressure/tension ..
after that I glue the tyre as usual..
Old 05-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i find having a softer suspension setup helps slow those wear rates down quite alot. But unfortunately i like to run with a stiff setup.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Tech Addict

Wink

Ah ha!!!! I saw the new pics and I have 100% found the problem... you have no front right hub... running with 3 tires will cause a great deal of excessive wear to both tires and chassis, you may have noticed a tendancy to pull to one side too

Old 05-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big Rigg
Ah ha!!!! I saw the new pics and I have 100% found the problem... you have no front right hub... running with 3 tires will cause a great deal of excessive wear to both tires and chassis, you may have noticed a tendancy to pull to one side too

Nice Tony. BCR tomorrow?
Old 05-12-2007, 05:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Um that is normal, but if its excessive after a couple of runs then as people mentioned too much camber or you are running a tire which is too soft.

I dont know what motor you are using but even with a bruhless stock motor on an aggressive asphalt and hot day 27s will get chewed up and the optimal tire could be a 32 or 36. If you havent asked what other people at your meets in the same class use you should probably do so....

Packing out the tires and removing the air gap will also mean you will loose side bite so its not always a good thing. It will also mean tires will retain heat and is not suitable for running during hot days and i find more suitable for running at night or tracks not in direct sunlight.

Further to this you will probably find it is not unusual for fronts to wear faster than the rears. On my cyclones i think i have at times gone through 3 sets of fronts before the rears are gone..
Old 05-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Im sure it could be the track conidtions like you said. When i ran those tires, it was about 85F outside on fairly new asphalt. people were running sorex 40s, but the 27s were all I had.

I'm still trying to get up with the guy with the setup station. I'm thinking 1 degree up front and 1.5 out back. Once I get that squared away (and get the 4th hub ) I'll see what it does then.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

In all honesty, it's just going to keep happening. CS27's always do it to one degree or another.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:59 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

how's your roll centres?

longer upper link usually helps reduce CS27 from eating its inner edge
but yeah - they all do it eventually. But there's still plenty of life in them
after that happens... can run them till they blowout completely.