R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-17-2007, 04:43 PM   #46
Team Tekin

The biggest problem right now is that the Lipo technology for cars is still in the infant stages. Yeah they're light, yeah they have great run times, are the cheap? No.

Lipo's have downsides to them also. They can explode(yes so can all batteries) and cause bodily harm. I'm sure we've all seen or heard the horror stories. The chargers can/are expensive. They don't all fit the available chassis. The Orion pack is great but it won't fit in my Yokomo. TC racing in general is constantly pushing technology. Tires, batteries,motors,electronics, bodies,etc. This is our front runner, our F1 if you will.

I'm an offroad guy. I still like the fact that when summer rolls round I don't have to sweat my batteries when I fire up the Nitro! Is it expensive, maybe. Is it neccessary, no. Is it convenient new technology that everyone can use, yes. I like you wish that everything lasted longer. 5 years ago you cut your mod motor every run in offroad. Now I can run a V2 motor for 10+ runs and not sweat it. It's all relative.

I'd like to see TC tires hold lap times like the first run does, but only for 10 runs! Racing at the top level is rediculous as far as expenses go. But we the consumer demand it wether directly or indirectly.

Racing is a very very little part of this hobby. I can name a dozen products out there that most of us would drop a jaw at! It does what? That's it? How much? WHAT!

I'm all for 20 minute electric mains with Lipos and brushelss motors. It would bring tire wear back into the mix. It wouldn't be the 5 minute sprint race that it is now....strategy would come back into it. But I'm sure that they'll soon have matched Lipo packs, super punched, super this, super that....time will tell.

For me bottom line is that it's a great product that definately fills a need. Thanks Tekin.
Randy Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:31 PM   #47
Team Tekin

Totally agree that this product should not really be this needed. The problem needs to be addressed at cell construction. However people are also obsessed with performance and these cells definitely do that, all be it for a short amount of time.

Even older technology cells will self discharge and loose performance. The Nurse provides benefit for any battery in the long run. We are seeing some improvement in 2 year old 3300's. Over the years it will pay for itself. Sorry for the cost, but that is what it costs to make it. Over the long haul it is small compared to the cost of tires, motors and batteries that a truly competitive racer goes thru. Although that is unfortunate it is unlikely to change. Grabbing every advantage and being on top is always expensive.

The Nurse was developed because there was a need and we found a solution. Thats what us twisted engineers do. Sometimes we even come up with something that can make a profit. This one is not going to pay many bills, but it puts Tekin in the pits and in the minds of our customers. Honestly to power these crazy brushless systems you need good batteries. Lousy batteries are pulled low easily and can make a BL system struggle. So really we are helping you make our other products work better as well.

Tekin Prez
Smarter, Smaller, Faster....
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:23 PM   #48
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I am probably not going to buy one but the idea is great! I think the best feature is I wouldn't have to discharge my 6 best packs at the track before charging... as they should be at .9 volts.
Now I keep some charge in the packs and I have to discharge and equalize before charging... I think this would save me a lot of time
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:51 AM   #49
Tech Champion

Some would say if you partake in any form of racing, the sharp end of it will always get expensive.

Race at your own level and if you want to get to the top consider the cost, or start a hobby that doesnt cost so much and do well at that.

I used to get a bit downbeat when I saw the reciepts of stuff, but its my only hobby, so it deserves cash thrown at it when needs must.

Gotta look at the whole picture here, the prez has spoken and his words are true Cells are getting abused, they need to be "nursed" after their abuse.

In short, you dont run a marathon then go out and do another without a break, you let yourself get some breath and stability, and effectively that's what the nurse does to your cells, it keeps them in check.
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:02 AM   #50
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Peace of mind is what you are buying, for your delicate cells.

I understand the new batches of IB4200WC have gone back to a similar makeup of the SHV cell, the WC cell was really a limited run batch. As a side note, I have had SHV cells since they came out, they get used about twice a month, left with whatever they had in them from racing, discharges, trayed and then charged the night before, and they are still pumping the juice, the Nurse will just make them secure between runs.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:30 PM   #51
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The clips not being soldered to the wires was a minor irritant. The product pics on the website show the clips already attached, so thats how I expected it to arrive.

The case size could be a little smaller. However, the case is well constructed, so kudos for that!

The biggest issue I've had is lack of instructions/documentation. I found a few steps printed on the back of the case, but they don't come close to answering the questions I've come up with. Perhaps the company I purchased the Nurse from removed it from it's original packaging and left out the instructions before shipping.
Team Tulsa - Team R/C Paints by Sonny - Durango DEX410
qwkpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:57 PM   #52
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You could tell from the pic that the clips were on the wires? I couldn't tell if the wires were soldered or had clips. Some better photos might be in order.
gezer2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:17 AM   #53
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It was posted on here somewhere, that no clips came fitted, as it would leave the user the choice of connection (deans, corally, solder, clips etc).

If you need to ask specific questions, you may get a faster response from the companies forum http://www.teamtekin.com/forums/default.asp
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #54
Team Tekin

I got mine as a Team driver a few weeks ago. I was able to figure it out since no instructions were out yet.

The wires are left bare since there are so many people using different connectors. They are however including top notch alligator clips! I actually solder mine straight to the pack. That way there's no way to have it fall off.

If you have some questions ask away and I'll help best I can.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:59 PM   #55
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I just got mine however it wont work

Any ideas anyone I am dissapointed poor instructions so I wait for a reply from Tekin
bjspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:38 AM   #56
Tech Apprentice

Check the TEKIN forum Bj. We'll get you fixed up!
Zken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:20 PM   #57
Tech Apprentice
Send a message via MSN to sampaio Send a message via Yahoo to sampaio

Hi All,

My battery nurse arrive today, then I got my batteries to test them.

So, I put all cables at batteries packs and all leds blinks red, except the number 1, so, I switch the batteries and the led one not blicks. I remove all of them and tested one by one: the led 1 never blicks, I'd tested in 6 distinct packs, the led 2 blinks connected or disconnected, the other blinks only when connected to soma battery pack.

I'd tried to test with a full charged pack and the results were the same.

My question is, is it normal?

Thanks in advance for any tip, help or suggestion.

sampaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:16 PM   #58
Team Tekin

I answered this question in the "company" section of discussion. No need to double post.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:35 PM   #59
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to pc9840 Send a message via AIM to pc9840 Send a message via Yahoo to pc9840
Default Batt Nurse...

It's not rocket science, its battery art. There is really no secret into how this thing works nothing that someone with a multi-meter and an o-scope can't figure out. So here is my 2 cents on how this thing works exclusive of any real testing, just my 2 cents.

The battery nurse basically applies what is referred to as a "maintenance charge" to the packs. This charge is not a sufficient amount to actually charge the pack, in fact in due course the cell's will still self discharge. So you can say it charges the pack to maintain it at a steady voltage, or you can say that there is no “charge” because the pack is still discharging. Tomaato - Tomahto. Fact is it does apply a voltage/current to the cells to maintain them, not forever. Without measuring anything I would assume the battery nurse applies a small amount of current, probably about 140mA or so into the cells to extremely slow the self discharge process down.

The reason it can run off a 9v battery for so long is because these packs don't self discharge very fast. The self discharge is highest on the first day of no use, on average 7%C loss and then evens out over time to about .7%C per day. Self discharge is also based on temperature, the lower the temp the slower the self discharge. Tekins website says 3-5%C for NiMH not sure how they get this figure, looks like an average over a month or so of discharge at average room temperature. So in the 6-8hrs there is very little self-discharge therefore a very diminutive current/voltage is needed to maintain your cells.

When talking about everyone switching to some sort of new battery technology there are ups and downs to all of them. I remember 7 years ago or so when we started using NiMH packs and they were the 8th wonder of the world. Now I see the same with LiPo cells. LiPo cells also have their share of troubles that we will quickly realize as they become mainstream. They even self discharge, it’s just slower then NiMH.
Jesse@pc9840.com <><
"The minimum wouldn't be the minimum if the minimum wasn't good enough"
pc9840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:33 AM   #60
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Can we get some feedback from some more people who've actually been using them?
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote