R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-08-2007, 09:39 AM   #16
Tech Champion
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hyper1
Nova, skip steps 4 & 6 and you'll be in good shape,as mentioned you don't want a mirror finish on your rings,these are friction diffs thus they need a non polished surface to work properly.

EA,what type of diff balls would you recommend?
I'm using a "hard finish" polish that my wife has for her jewelry. The diff does take a few laps to get just right and then its good to go for as long time....
With both rings with a fine finish and going inoppersite directions I wanted to get it as smooth as possible.... I'm using carbine steel balls but have thought about using ceramic which might not be the best for the rings I have worked on...
This is DICK!!! And you're NOT!
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:19 AM   #17
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports

I run Ceramic unless its Mod. I probably would NOT run ceramic in BL classes either as the BL motors have so much torque they really spin the diff's and have to be very very tight. I know some guys had problems at the Carpet Oval Nats at Greenville and as soon as they put steel balls back in their problems went away.

What do you think on motor bearings for BL motors? I think ceramic bearings could handle the high revs better than steel. Good or bad idea?
Classic RC - http://classicrc.wordpress.com/
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #18
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ceramic bearings are the same as steel bearings except they can run in an environment that is less then perfect with less lubrication with out failure. They also can withstand higher temps.
gezer2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:37 PM   #19
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Tungsten Carbide or Ceramic?

I am about to rebuild my diffs for my ta05ms, and whats the difference between all the ball types?

I know the car came with some 3mm balls (metal?), and I have some new "Tamiya 3mm Tungsten Carbide Diff Balls #53124" so I was going to use them. Are these metallic looking ones the same as the the kit balls? If so, are they very differenct than the ceramic ones?

I have heard that the Ceramic ones are black (hard) or white (not as hard)?

Please help,

auzzy_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:35 AM   #20
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

One thing I haven't heard anyone mention is "scuffing" the diff balls. I think its in that link above, I haven't checked? But if thats the same one the guy makes a great point about the ceramic balls being so hard you're diff will slip very easily unless you rough em up a little. He uses an auto body cut paste which is like a liquid sandpaper, and he builds a diff with that as the lube first to put a nice etching on everything.
jla8874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Ceramic balls are used in bearings to allow better acceleration. If the bearing is accelerated quickly, heavier steel balls may not keep up, and will skid on the races causing wear and heat build-up. However, we use them for other reasons, because we don't have that problem, especially in diffs.

Ceramic balls are harder, and therefore not as easily damaged by dirt and dust that can cause steel balls to get indented, or develop small flats if they skid (because of the dirt and dust).

In diffs, use the hard (dark) ceramic balls, not the white or grey ones. Corally make the best I've ever used. Nonetheless, even the Corally balls can crack in TC diffs because they run under higher pressures than 12th or 10th Pan Car diffs. Partly because the pan-car diffs are larger diameter, partly because they use larger, or more balls, and partly because pan cars are much lighter, ceramic balls might not be the best ones for TC and Off-Road applications. We have a couple of drivers using steel again to avoid the cracking problems.

In bearings, the ceramic ball is helpful as it wears better, but it still uses the same steel race to run in. In that respect, the bearing may not last any longer than a steel one, because instead of damaging the ball in a crash, or when dust and dirt gets in, it will damage the race.

My choice, after wearing loads of them out in 12th, is ceramic diff balls and thrust race balls, and steel everything else - cheapest option and best wear rates. HTH
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:59 AM   #22
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Ive seen ceramic diff balls cause problems in Mod oval cars before. The problem is they are so round and smooth that you have to tighten the diff up extremely tight and then you loose some of the diff action and it cause the car to do funny stuff in the middle of a corner. I suspect it could cause the same sorts of problems in TC's as well.

Ya you are right , I faced the same type of problem from Ceramic diff balls.they are really smooth and lost functionality on tightening the diff.
Ceramic Ball are made from inorganic, nonmetallic compounds that include oxides, carbides, or nitrides and are processed or used at high temperatures.It is considered as one of the best water filtration medium
innocentpreneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:30 AM   #23
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Holy thread bump!
rm -rf /windows
RCSteve93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #24
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Excellent info, SlowerOne. Very nice breakdown.
gibbous is offline   Reply With Quote