Search

Tamiya Body Help Needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 04:28 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Tamiya Body Help Needed!!!

Ok guys, getting ready for the GT2 race in June at Tamiya USA and am trying to figure out what body to run. The bodies I am looking at are:
  • Nissan 350Z Nismo
  • Corvette
  • Lexus Mobil 1
Just looking for any input people can offer. No matter what body is used, I will be getting the optional lexan racing wing to replace the ABS plastic one that comes with the bodies.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarKing
Ok guys, getting ready for the GT2 race in June at Tamiya USA and am trying to figure out what body to run. The bodies I am looking at are:
  • Nissan 350Z Nismo
  • Corvette
  • Lexus Mobil 1
Just looking for any input people can offer. No matter what body is used, I will be getting the optional lexan racing wing to replace the ABS plastic one that comes with the bodies.
you can never go wrong with the NSX. from 2002 to the 2005 versions. they're all great cars.

i used the Lexus at Nats since the NSX was not legal. it was just as good. a tad bit more steering and gave up some stability on it. Keith Yu won with the 350Z. so im sure its a great body, i havent personally tried it (but will in the near future)
Old 05-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

350Z has a ton of steering. I can't comment on the other two but if you are struggling to get turn in definately worth a look.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Tech Adept

How about the GTR? I was thinking of trying the LW version since tamiya bodies are always a bit thick to start with. Anyone have any experience with Tamiya lightwieght body versions? Is it worth the extra cost?

I already have the Audi A4 DTM that I will be painting for a concours entry. Does anyone know if they judge the "best of show" entries before racing starts? That way I could possibly race the A4 after the judging and not worry about scuffs.

Carking, I personally like the NSX of the three you mentioned. The new 320i body looks nice too. Or maybe the C-Class is the one. It looks like it has a lot of steering potential.

Too many choices but I'm looking forward to a race with more than three car bodies: the Mazda 6, DNA, and Stratus.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:32 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I tried a TCS event with a Skyline GTR body, what a joke, I've had shopping carts handle better!
Old 05-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Tech Regular

I used the 350 nizmo body and it felt very neutral, you must use the optional wing. it turned in very nice with the plastic but it had a tendency to loop out.

the Audi body pushes. I could never get it to work. I havn't tried the nsx but since I run gt3 gt2 I don't bother.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I thought the NSX was not allowed to be run anymore? Wern't the rules changed so it had to a sedan or DTM car?

Just looked it up. From the TCs rules:

The GT2 class will be limited to 4 door touring car bodies and 2 door sedan bodies only. Sports car bodies are not allowed. Same TCS Finals rules as 2006 apply.

I guess from his list the only car eligible is the Lexus?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Tech Adept

Yes the rule was changed. The only bodies you can't run in the GT2 class are the Ferrari's and the NSX all other bodies are legal.

I have been using the 350Z body for 2 years now and for me it's been the best body so far. I would suggest using that one and like stated above be sure to use the optional wing with it and not the kit one.

Be sure to post pictures and let us know what body you choose.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
I thought the NSX was not allowed to be run anymore? Wern't the rules changed so it had to a sedan or DTM car?

Just looked it up. From the TCs rules:

The GT2 class will be limited to 4 door touring car bodies and 2 door sedan bodies only. Sports car bodies are not allowed. Same TCS Finals rules as 2006 apply.

I guess from his list the only car eligible is the Lexus?
you're in canada. TCS rules vary btw the two locations.... at the North American TCS Nationals.. NSX and Ferraris are NOT legal in GT2. Everything else is legal.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
I tried a TCS event with a Skyline GTR body, what a joke, I've had shopping carts handle better!
I finished 2nd at the TCS North American finals with the Skyline GTR body, seemed to handle ok to me.

Chris speaks the truth though. Run the NSX everywhere it's legal. If you can't run that or the Ferrari, your choices get a lot wider. The Skyline and 350Z are both really good bodies. They both have their good and bad points, but nothing drastic that you couldn't tune your suspension around.

-James
Old 05-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

Their is a new 350Z body coming that is from the JTCC car and if it is out in time and legal I would think that would pretty good.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
you're in canada. TCS rules vary btw the two locations.... at the North American TCS Nationals.. NSX and Ferraris are NOT legal in GT2. Everything else is legal.

The rule I posted was from the Tamiya USA website, not Canada.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
The rule I posted was from the Tamiya USA website, not Canada.
oh? well from Fred's mouth, it has always been, no NSX, no ferraris for anyone running GT2 at TCS Nats. everything else is legal (thats why i ran the lexus at Nats, and why others ran the 350z. )
Old 05-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrBlack
Their is a new 350Z body coming that is from the JTCC car and if it is out in time and legal I would think that would pretty good.
Are you referring to the new TA05-IFS (or whatever that 3 other letters)....that body is definitely SPORT CAR...more like a Saleen Mustang type...probably legal for F103GT class more then the GT2/3 class......

But I know it will be mounted on my F103GT....and or for my TA05R to run @ GT1 class...

BTW.....I used the GTR body the pass TCS race, not too bad at all except a little bit heavy (decal and side mirror and wings...etc)....but I think credit goes to the one who setup my loaner 415.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I don't think that body will fit a normal TC. Hence the design of the IFS to allow the mounting of the body. Might work great for the F103 cars though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.