Wiki Posts
Search

Rubber Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Rubber Tire Question

I had some trouble with traction when i was running my touring car at a race it was a smoth asphalt track not a parking lot, all day the back end of my car kept wanting to spin aorund on me. I was running jaco greens. do i want to get a harder tire or a softer tire to gain more traction, is there an adative that i can use?
Old 06-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 134 (100%+)
Default rubber tire

crewman you first need to tell us what was the track temp , is the track shaded with trees or is the sun beating down on it the whole time and then you may be able to get some help with them
Old 06-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

no trees around the track
can't tell you a temp but the track was in delaware it was the sunday before memorial day so i am going to guess upper 70s to lower 80s air temp. The track is called blue diamond. one thing that wasn't helping was that the track was kind of duty due to a dirt bike track next door.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Get some tire tweak and put that on your tires the night before a race and let it soak in.(If you have warmers bake it in for twenty minutes) Between rounds I put a touch more on and let it set in for about twenty minutes then wipe it off and use buggy grip2. I raced that weeekend also but I know it was the tires as the track was baking all day in the open sun, the hardest tires I had were some sorex 36, they lasted about eight laps and then it became a drifting car!
Old 06-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CREWMAN
I had some trouble with traction when i was running my touring car at a race it was a smoth asphalt track not a parking lot, all day the back end of my car kept wanting to spin aorund on me. I was running jaco greens. do i want to get a harder tire or a softer tire to gain more traction, is there an adative that i can use?
I would double check your set up
Old 06-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Tire tweak?
Old 06-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 134 (100%+)
Default rubber tire

if you can find the thread on here rubber tire for dummies that really has some great info in there and will answer all your ?s and not to mention you will get alot of choices on compounds to work with
Old 06-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

no trees around the track
can't tell you a temp but the track was in delaware it was the sunday before memorial day so i am going to guess upper 70s to lower 80s air temp. The track is called blue diamond. one thing that wasn't helping was that the track was kind of duty due to a dirt bike track next door.
I ran sorex 32's at the diamond on a losi type-r w/ a 13.5 i know it wa a little slow btu it was on practice day (thursday) and there was no traction compound or goo from the gassers on the track and the car still hooked up.

There are quite a few top class guys that race that track you can seek out too, Quinn Moon, Skooby Horton, Marvin and Darren Howard. They know the tips and tricks to get the most out of your car at the diamond. They helped me at both the diamond and at the mushroom bowl.

I'd also look at your ride height/droop, front spring stiffness and shock oil as well, i used to use jaco greens w/ tire tweak but switched to sorex and buggy grip, but RP30's seem to be the best tire going too bad we can't find any. Buggy grip seems to work better at the diamond because it isn't as sensitive to the dust.

I have to warn you I'm not really that good of a driver, but my car is pretty close to dialed due to the help o those folks i mentioned above. I'm just passing on the tips they've shared w/ me .
Old 06-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Crew - i think things at BD should get better soon as far as traction. I am helping Scooby build a traction cart like I made for the Bowl. With all the dust from the dirtbike tracks, it's always going to be tough at BD to have a "dust free" track, but the traction cart will help a lot. Do you have a link to your set up by chance? The Jacos might also be the issue, especially if they are from the not so good production run.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by A. Rhodes
Crew - i think things at BD should get better soon as far as traction. I am helping Scooby build a traction cart like I made for the Bowl. With all the dust from the dirtbike tracks, it's always going to be tough at BD to have a "dust free" track, but the traction cart will help a lot. Do you have a link to your set up by chance? The Jacos might also be the issue, especially if they are from the not so good production run.
You see that is my problem. that was only my second touring car race. I really don't have a set up. That i agree is probably most of my problem. Some one said to go onto xrays web site and download one of the pros set ups. Does anyone have any suggestions on whos i try.

Also Tire Tweak and Buggy grip are made by trinity corect. I think from what i am hearing is that i want to get a slightly harder tire?
Old 06-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

You see that is my problem. that was only my second touring car race. I really don't have a set up. That i agree is probably most of my problem. Some one said to go onto xrays web site and download one of the pros set ups. Does anyone have any suggestions on whos i try.

Also Tire Tweak and Buggy grip are made by trinity corect. I think from what i am hearing is that i want to get a slightly harder tire?
It's gonna get hot on that asphalt in august so you may want to have a set of 36's handy but for the most part 32/30/27's should do you fine. I haven't tried the cs27's out at the diamond yet but i will and let you know how they run. I'll be there on thrusday evening (weather permitting) if you want to come out.