Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Sway Bar setting >

Sway Bar setting

Sway Bar setting

Old 05-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Sway Bar setting

Question for you guys. I've been racing for a while and have used sway bars in the past but I haven't always felt a difference on the track. Unfortunately, no car i've ever own had any information in the manual on how to properly setup sway bars. I notice, when I have my shocks off, that when i lift one wheel, i have to lift it higher than it would ever go in race conditions before the other arm will lift. Given that, it wouldn't seem that the sway would have much of an affect. How much or how quickly should the opposite arm respond when one arm is compressed? Comments? How do you guys set your sways?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Tech Adept

When the other arm will react depends on the thickness of your sway bar.
I allways check if the right and left are equal and than it's oke.

Rob Janssen.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Swaybars are used to keep the car from 'rolling' (leaning) in the corners.. Some may think of this as 'stiffening' the car up. Can help the car to get thru the S's a lil faster. Given there is enough traction in the first place..

One way to think of it (a bit extreme)... Imagine a car/truck going thru a corner and the inside wheel lifts. Installing swaybars will help to keep that inside wheel on the ground..

That being said it is CRUCIAL to have both left/right sides equal length.. I set mine kinda like setting droop... ASSOCAITED imo has the best set-up/degin of Swaybar mounts on their arms..

$0.02
-O
Old 05-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Don't worry about the other arm lifting. What a sway bar does is provide a relationship to the 2 springs. As the outside spring compresses in a corner, the bar basically borrows some spring from the other side of the car, causing the outside spring to gain stiffness and the inside spring to lose stiffness.

It is a fractional amount, you wont see it much by compressing one side of the suspension and seeing the other side lift. It probably moves 1 or 2 pounds of spring rate. You can figure out exactly how much it works if you were to diagram it out, but you really don't need that information to tune a car with sway bars. All you need to know is thinner bars or longer bars are softer, thicker bars or shorter bars are stiffer.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks guys...that was helpful
Old 05-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

I have used the bars at one end or the other as it helps move grip to the other end of the car, when I want more rear grip etc. I might add one to the front.

What is the difference between having the same roll bars at each end as opposed to none at each end and under what circumstances would you use them?

Thanks
Skiddins
Old 05-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins

What is the difference between having the same roll bars at each end as opposed to none at each end and under what circumstances would you use them?

Thanks
Skiddins

Originally Posted by OSherman
Swaybars are used to keep the car from 'rolling' (leaning) in the corners.. Some may think of this as 'stiffening' the car up. Can help the car to get thru the S's a lil faster. Given there is enough traction in the first place..

I guess i could add that if you are looking to get your car to Transition faster, rather than more or less at one end... Then sways at both ends is what you are looking for... Feeling a little sluggish in the turns just in general?? Sways will help to liven things up...

$0.02