R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Milling the tc3 chassis questions (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/16147-milling-tc3-chassis-questions.html)

racerdx6 04-09-2003 08:58 PM

Milling the tc3 chassis questions

Im interested in milling out my new tc3 chassis to move my battaries closer to the center of the chassis (but I don't have the chassis yet because I need more cash to buy it and I don't have the cash yet, but that's off-topic ;) ). I only have one question because I understand how to do it quite well, I'm just wondering how much material to remove from the center brace? I run stick packs mostly if that makes a difference. I don't want my packs to rub on the drive shaft :rolleyes: . Actually, I thought of a few more questions, what type of foam do most people use to keep the battaries from sliding around? Where can you buy it? Last one, where can you buy replacement cutting/sanding/ect. bits for dremel tools? Thanks in advance!

sosidge 04-10-2003 04:12 AM

If you're thinking of milling the chassis, you should definitely switch to side-by-side packs. Firstly, a stick pack will slide around even more in a milled chassis, secondly if you're looking for the performnace gain of a more even weight distribution, you should definitely take the performance gain of lower centre of gravity as well. HPI make strips of sticky backed foam that should help hold things in place.

gotpez 04-10-2003 06:21 AM

After I had my chassis milled, I couldn't find foam that would keep the batteries where they belonged. So, I cut a small strip of Kydex (plastic bumper stuff) and double side taped it to the chassis to keep the battery closer to the centerline.

If you are looking into milling the chassis, it is definitely time to get rid of stick packs. Build your side-by-side packs and you will be much happier.

Jeff Gilligan

TheBarber 04-10-2003 08:20 AM

we've been doing our chassis since november and after going back to the stock chassis some say the didn't see a huge difference, but i saw a difference when i went to tweak my car. a lot less pre-load on the springs side to side.

BUD's Racing Products has "Battery Nest" tape that is foam tape that is thicker than the AE offroad stuff. This stuff works perfect and its around $5.00.

BrianJ 04-10-2003 10:00 AM

Marc,dont you have to tape your batteries in when you move them closer to center or will the strap still work?

racerdx6 04-10-2003 11:00 AM

Im definetly gonna be switching to side by side packs soon. I made that decision a long time ago. But that was after I already had a bunch of stick packs. But I still want to be able to use my old stick packs in the car too. So how much material did you guys take out for your side by side packs? Where can you get the Bud's Battary Nest Tape? Thanks!

gotpez 04-10-2003 11:09 AM

I am still using the battery strap with the batteries moved in. I switched back to the original plastic one. The tabs were a bit close for comfort and I didn't want to short the pack out. I don't like my car being on fire!!

Tape would be an option, but I just don't like all the work involved with that. It also would require adding even more weight to a car that is severely underweight. I have at least an ounce of lead on my car to make weight with GP3300 cells. With Panasonic's I would probably need to add about 2 more ounces.

In my experience, moving the batteries toward the center was not a HUGE improvement. It did make the car feel a little more stable, but the biggest improvement came from moving the batteries to the forward position. That is when my car really came alive.

Jeff Gilligan

CRASH 04-10-2003 12:51 PM

Check out this info. This site tells you everything you need to know about modding your chassis.

http://pages.infinit.net/funone/_the...ciated_tc3.htm

Hope this helps,

Later:)

TheBarber 04-10-2003 01:13 PM

brian - nope, and i ran my battery posts to the inside. it works out pretty good. we removed .100" from the inner wall.

Brian McGreevy 04-10-2003 01:34 PM

Marc, you said a lot less preload on the shocks side to side...with which chassis?? Milled or standard?

TheBarber 04-10-2003 01:38 PM

milled.........:D

Brian McGreevy 04-10-2003 01:40 PM

OK, but weren't you running the non-milled chassis at NORRCA? Or was that just Brad?