R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   SPEED SIX OR JUST SIX (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/160937-speed-six-just-six.html)

mrrcguy 04-27-2007 09:22 PM

SPEED SIX OR JUST SIX

I would like to hear some feedback about two bodies. When used on asphalt with rubber tires, what's working best for everyone, the "MAZDA SIX" or the "MAZDA SPEED SIX"?

Still Bill 04-27-2007 09:50 PM

Both Mazda 6s are my favorite overall bodies for Stock Rubber racing. About 6 months ago, they replaced the Stratus 3.0 bodies I used to run.

In a head-to-head comparison on both carpet and asphalt with stock motors, I didn't notice any significant difference in lap times between the two. I do like the look of both bodies; so, I usually keep fresh ones ready to go.

POOKYT 04-27-2007 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Still Bill
Both Mazda 6s are my favorite overall bodies for Stock Rubber racing. About 6 months ago, they replaced the Stratus 3.0 bodies I used to run.

In a head-to-head comparison on both carpet and asphalt with stock motors, I didn't notice any significant difference in lap times between the two. I do like the look of both bodies; so, I usually keep fresh ones ready to go.

LMAO!!!!! Ole Bill always has a few bodies a several cans of Orange spray paint!!! I know-I know.......keep it simple! ;) :D

Brant

Dragonfire 04-28-2007 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
I would like to hear some feedback about two bodies. When used on asphalt with rubber tires, what's working best for everyone, the "MAZDA SIX" or the "MAZDA SPEED SIX"?

The mazda six is more aggressive off power, tends to turn harder at high speed. The mazda speed six is a little less aggresive (not to the extent of a stratus 3) and is therefore generally more stable as well.

Its usually a good choice to have at least two different bodies anyway so go for a stratus 3 so you have a safe choice then pick the madza depending on how good you are at getting you car setup. If you can get yourself dialed in quickly, the mazda 6 will give you a lot of steering for a stable car. The mazda speed 6 will offer more steering than the stratus 3 but still maintain the stability.

mrrcguy 04-28-2007 09:12 AM

?

I did some testing yesterday with both six bodies. It seemed that the car was much less connected and consistant with the speed six. Im wondering how much of this is comming from the differences in the two wings. Are most people using the lexan side peices?

The Tank 04-28-2007 10:27 AM

I did some testing yesterday with both six bodies. It seemed that the car was much less connected and consistant with the speed six. Im wondering how much of this is comming from the differences in the two wings. Are most people using the lexan side peices?

I found this to be the same when I tested both bodies. I thought that the speed 6 was much less consistent with more steering. The mazda 6 seemed to keep the car more "planted" as the speed 6 gave it more steering everywhere. My pick, I stayed with the original mazda 6.

mrrcguy 04-28-2007 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Tank
I found this to be the same when I tested both bodies. I thought that the speed 6 was much less consistent with more steering. The mazda 6 seemed to keep the car more "planted" as the speed 6 gave it more steering everywhere. My pick, I stayed with the original mazda 6.

What chassis do you run? How much bite did the test track have at the time?

NOOB-SMOKE 04-28-2007 09:12 PM

body

The mazda speed is definetly less stable .
The mazda 6 seems to have a little less steering but the car is so much more consistent.
So i suppose use the speed 6 when your car is really pushy.

mrrcguy 04-29-2007 06:50 PM

Noob, What are you doing with the wing on the reg six? Running the pieces in the middle, wing to the front, wing to the rear, what?

AdrianM 04-29-2007 06:56 PM

The Mazda Speed 6 has more steering buy less stability. The Mazda 6 has pretty good steering but better stability.

As fa as which one to ge...the only right answer is which ever one consistantly gives you your fastest 5 min run.

Fastest lap is meaningless. Anyone can get lucky and nail a miracle lap or two. The fastest 5 min run is the real indicator.

NOOB-SMOKE 04-30-2007 12:24 AM

Noob, What are you doing with the wing on the reg six? Running the pieces in the middle, wing to the front, wing to the rear, what?

My wing is in the middle of the mounting positions on my mazda 6.
And i have no pieces in the middle.
The mazda speed wing is more to the back, it should give me more rear grip but it still needs stability.

nexxus 04-30-2007 12:56 AM

I find the Speed 6 very good out of a corner, but a tad understeery into a corner, the Mazda 6 was consistent all over, but doesn't look as good (sorry that's a factor here!)

AdrianM 04-30-2007 07:08 AM

Wow...we found (every pro driver I have spoken about this with) the Speed 6 turns into corner harders then the regular 6.

For stability they are running the rear wings as far back as allowed on both mazdas. If the track is not chgecking wings they run them so far back the front edge is at about the middle of the wing mount post.

Darkseid 04-30-2007 08:53 AM

I'm about to get a Speed 6 for my (coming soon) Mi3, and I was wondering whether you guys are cutting the "slats" out of the rear wing. And if you guys are, what are you doing to cut them out cleanly. Just scoring them with a sharp hobby blade till they come out???

I stopped trying to cut these out of my other wings because I could never get it done cleany without either damaging the wing or having the holes look hacked.

Tsquare 04-30-2007 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Darkseid
I'm about to get a Speed 6 for my (coming soon) Mi3, and I was wondering whether you guys are cutting the "slats" out of the rear wing. And if you guys are, what are you doing to cut them out cleanly. Just scoring them with a sharp hobby blade till they come out???

I stopped trying to cut these out of my other wings because I could never get it done cleany without either damaging the wing or having the holes look hacked.

I did cut out the slits in the Speed six wing. I used a blade to cut a hole, them used a small cutting wheel on my dremel to cut the rest and then used a small sanding wheel on my dremel to finish the job. It turned out to be more work then it was worth, I ran the car, with both wings, and preferred the wing without the slits, seemed more stable.