Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Top Drivers Grip

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 06:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Top Drivers Grip

Is it me or do other people think that the top drivers always seem to have more grip ??

The other week we were at Bedworth in the UK Andy Moore and a few other Hot Bodies drivers were there testing. I just couldnt belive how much grip they were getting and how good the cars looked. I thought mine was ok till i saw then going round !!!!

But how do they get that much grip ?? I was running on the same pre built tyres and mine were brand new ish. I changed my car to get more grip this worked but after a few min it just overheated the tyres. Which it no good.

So how do they do it ?? Any ideas
Old 04-24-2007, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

new tires every run.......... Ah the cost of racing... its never a problem.. with a VISA!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Most of them werent tho i asked that at the time thats was my first thought about it
Old 04-24-2007, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Shrew
Most of them werent tho i asked that at the time thats was my first thought about it

Ya i was just teasing a bit.

GRIP will come from:
-proper tire compound
-traction additive
-Tirewarmers
-and of course a good setup.

Don't forget a great driver can look like he has tonnes of grip when he doesnt, its all about trigger control
Old 04-24-2007, 07:09 AM
Suspended

Foam or rubber?
Old 04-24-2007, 07:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

This may seem sarcastic. But, did you ever think to ask them, instead of posting here? Then you could have shared the knowledge.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Shrew
Set ups.
Throttle control. Slowing down at the right time that the car can drive itself through the turns.
You can also get results from just the correct setting on the diff. Man that makes a difference in the corners.
I would also keep in mind most drivers on a professional level only drive at about 90% of there ability.
Not to mention from the design team to the screw sponsor they have all the tech support. It all comes together.
Yet it takes hours and hours of racing and even more hours of practicing.
Set up set up set up. Master the car you drive and try every possible set up you can think of its the only way.
Take the TQ set up and it won't work for each individual.
Gotta find your set up and style of driving. Its good starting points though.
And radio set up is very important as well.
Its funny.
Guys will always tell you how they lost, but rarely will you here more than a set up chart as to how they won. Go figure.
We could all be pro's ya know.
We need an Xray pro driving school.
Be careful taking this hobby........... (sport/passion/obsession/challenge/get a way from the hussle and bussle).... to serious, it can be bad.
Decide what you want out of it and then pursue your intentions. Don't limit yourself, yet try to leave some room for some fun.
Thats all I got to say bout that
Old 04-24-2007, 07:32 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by KE4PJO
This may seem sarcastic. But, did you ever think to ask them, instead of posting here? Then you could have shared the knowledge.

I hope he doesn't take it wrong either?
Some how I feel we will get a full report his next race.
dang him we all lost out on an opportunity here.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:41 AM
Tech Initiate

On rubbers pre built RP 30's

Yes fair points made there. I do try and change set ups all the time as i think if you dont try u wont get it any better.

Im not a bad driver but im not world class i always seem to struggle to get a good balenced set up ie can get the turn in i want but loose the back end or have back end and loose turn in. I always go to the latter as it seems the safer bet.

I always seem to loose time going into slower corners i always seem to have to slow down more to get round on the correct line
Old 04-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

Rubber tire or foam tire

Top drivers are just that top drivers.

Any top driver first off can wheel a car like no tomorrow and they are very good at setting up the cars.

I have had the pleasure to run at a few races and there is definitly a difference from the top level guys and the rest of us. Watching the top drivers in both stock and mod is truely amazing. There cars look fantastic and they drive the hell out of the cars.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

RP30s need some work to perform at their best, and that goes downhill after the first run. Remember tire are about 80% of your tuning, so how you treat them with saucing, tire warmers, etc. plays a huge part, assuming everthing else is the same with set up, driving, etc.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallstreet
Rubber tire or foam tire

Any top driver first off can wheel a car like no tomorrow and they are very good at setting up the cars.

I have had the pleasure to run at a few races and there is definitly a difference from the top level guys and the rest of us. Watching the top drivers in both stock and mod is truely amazing. There cars look fantastic and they drive the hell out of the cars.
I agree totally!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by wallstreet
Rubber tire or foam tire

I always say I'm C-main driver.
That way I have to marshall the B-main.
And frees me up to watch the The A-main. Man the pros are fun to watch.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

One thing I notice about the top drivers is their level of concentration. They attack every inch of the track and correct the car before it gets out of shape. They can see a problem before it happens. I have let one of our local pro drivers run my cars to see what he thinks. He ups my lap times by a bunch, and I thought I could drive! Then he says your setup is great, I wouldn't do anything to it. I go out and try my hardest to run his lap time and guess what, I end up crashing.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:41 PM
Tech Addict

Smooth is fast.

Moore didn't become Euro and World Champ by chance.