Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KMR vs. Pro-Match vs. SMC

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 09:45 PM
Tech Adept

Default KMR vs. Pro-Match vs. SMC

Has anyone tried all three? After reading all the info. and looking at the websites, they all seem very VERY good. But right now I'm leaning towards SMC as it seems that they are the very best in battery matching. Can anyone prove me wrong? Any opinion is welcome.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:33 PM
CGR
Tech Regular

Of the 3 I have only used promatch but the price and performance have been great.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:02 AM
Tech Rookie

KMR all the way. They do a awesome job on the batteries and have good pricing also.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I kinda figured somebody would create this thread...now I can say what I wanted to say in the SMC thread.
SMC is a good company BUT i think they're getting to commercialized. I personally don't want to end up trying to do business with another Trinity or Orion. Keep in mind what was said on the other thread....It must be your "CHOICE". If you feel comfortable with SMC...then do it. On performance alone I can say that Pro Match and KMR are as good or better than SMC. I really like the Pro Match website.It's easy and informative. I use KMR because of their proven performance. Keep in mind that SMC was once a small company that only the drivers in their area knew about. PM and KMR are small,specialized companies...they do what they do and they do it well !!! Good Luck with what ever choice you make. You really can't go wrong if you try a pack from each company,check the performance and check the customer service. Whichever ones you don't like .....well we all need practice packs.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:27 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I Ignacio what Evoracer is saying is right it is your choice..But I personally like Pro-Match reason because the customer service is very good and they will guarantee thier product or your money back
Old 03-26-2003, 07:33 AM
Tech Adept

I have run SMC and ProMatch. I know that these matchers are honest and they both use industry standard methods for matching. Their prices are also very competetive. I would recommend either of them. I have not tried KMR yet, so I will let others who have used them comment on their experiences.

When it comes to batteries, the big questions are: Are the labels honest and do they use industry standard methods?

The reason this is important is that when you buy a battery, the only thing you have to differentiate them is the label. If the label is accurate and the price is right, you know what you bought.

Matchers do some things to a battery to improve performance, but the long term performance of the battery is determined at manufacture time. In reality, matcher is mostly weeding out the bad cells and putting cells of similar characteristics together. If they do this right, the cells will perform better and last longer.

By using industry standard methods, you are able to compare cells of different matchers to determine your best deal. Some companies use different discharge rates, cutoff voltages and voltage averaging times. This means that you can not compare their numbers to anybody elses. This does not mean the batteries are bad, just impossible to compare. The current standards are 30 amp discharge, .90 cutoff and 5000 seconds for calculating average voltage.

For example: a battery with a 360 second cutoff for the voltage could easily show a cell with an average voltage of 1.20 or higher. With the standard cutoff, it may be more like 1.165. Still a good cell, but not necessarily what they buyer thought they purchased.

Jeff Gilligan
Old 03-26-2003, 08:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

who is KMR?
Old 03-26-2003, 09:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
I'm sorry if I put a little confusion to this thread but I have to tell you about the batteries I've been using for the last 5 years. I have used SMC in the past, their batts are very good, I just don't like the way they sometimes do business. Please don't ask me why, this is just my opinion here I have never used Promatch batteries but I've heard very good comments about them and their website is top notch. I don't know who KMR is so I can't comment on that.
The batteries I've been exclusively using are Pole Position. A small Canadian company that has been matching batteries for years now, it is run by a really great and honest guy who takes pride in his product. Their website is pretty lame but they are working hard on a new one. The prices are good, the numbers are great, the cells are matched according to todays standards. I have 5 year old 2000 mah Pole Position packs that are still going strong.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:27 PM
KMR
Tech Fanatic

Default KMR vs. Pro-Match vs.SMC

I think that everyone has addressed great points. Some times its nice dealing with a smaller company that specializes in a specific product because they concentrate on quality of that product not quantity. On the other hand its nice dealing with the bigger companies because they have the budget to do the extensive research and development. Either big or small the most important thing is honestly of the product! Make sure that you are getting what’s on the label! Honesty is everything!

Keoni AhYat
KMR BATTERIES
[email protected]
Www.kmrbatteries.com

PS: We cycle all our cells at 5amps and discharge at 30amps. Our cutoff is .90 and run out is 5000 seconds. We use CEI Turbo Matcher 4, 4/35 and make sure all of our equipment is calibrated on a regular basis.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:26 PM
Tech Adept

Keoni, how many time did you cycle the batteries? Did you zapped the battery?

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:41 PM
KMR
Tech Fanatic

Wow! This board is kinda cool! it just emailed me and said someone asked a question. Anyway, Yes we zap all our cells when they come in. We cycle them on an average of 4-5 times for stabilization before we match them. The only cell we do not Zap or cycle is our Sanyo 1500`s they are basically built into stick packs and sold to our Hobby Stores for beginners and spec racers.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:23 AM
Tech Regular

Default ZaPpInG

Hi Koeni,

At what voltage do you ZAP the UMH and the GPs?

Thanks for sorting my stuff out by the way! I look forward to them!

Old 03-27-2003, 04:31 AM
Tech Regular

Default BTW

Any charging recommendations for your UMH and GP3300's?
Thanks!

Last edited by sonneteer; 03-27-2003 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:45 AM
Tech Adept

KMR's got great stuff. He's a great guy to deal with and has packs that not only have really good numbers, but get better and better the more you charge them. If you maintain your packs, you will thank yourself. All of the KMR packs were insane out of the box; with some time and care, they are REALLY killer packs now. I would personally recommend KMR Batteries to anyone that's looking at getting great packs for great prices.

The guys at PRO-Match make great packs too. They have plenty of info on their site about maintaining your packs, as well as great prices. I don't know much about SMC, but I've heard lots of good things and lots of bad things. I personally love my KMR packs so I will gladly recommend them to anyone.

BTW, Keoni I still have your 1/12th scale servo. When are you next racing? I'll try and stop by and finally give it back to you.

Last edited by Aeon Racer; 03-27-2003 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:41 PM
KMR
Tech Fanatic

Kamil,
Im trying to get ready for the Nats and Reedy as well as the Kimbrough in Oval. So I should be sleeping at the track for the next couple months :-o. Dont worry on the servo no rush!

We charge our Panasonic UMH3000`s at 5amps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.