Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Ball Bearings in a Stock Motor - why aren't they legal? >

Ball Bearings in a Stock Motor - why aren't they legal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ball Bearings in a Stock Motor - why aren't they legal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 07:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Ball Bearings in a Stock Motor - why aren't they legal?

I was just curious the history of the stock motor rules. Why aren't ball bearings legal? Was it a cost issue? I wonder if the rules were written today if they would still be illegal? Like I said I was just curious. The stock brushless motors got me thinking about the issue...
Old 04-23-2007, 07:52 AM
Suspended

Hey, it's all ball bearings nowadays.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

Originally Posted by McSmooth
Hey, it's all ball bearings nowadays.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:58 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by wallstreet
Movie quote....followed by, "Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads."
Old 04-23-2007, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Cost originally, and probably as a natural progression from the silvercan motors that are also bushed.

If they were specced today I am sure they would include bearings.

However I am very much opposed to the race series that have taken it upon themselves to allow bearings to be fitted to stock motors. I don't think racing should be based around awkward home modifications to an established motor.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by McSmooth
Movie quote....followed by, "Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads."

I always use 30w ball bearing`s in my motor`s ....
Old 04-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trinity wanted to start providing bearings in stock at one time. E. Provetti didn't have very good luck in dealing with ROAR in the issue. I seem to remember that the cost difference was well under $1.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Unregistered
Trinity wanted to start providing bearings in stock at one time. E. Provetti didn't have very good luck in dealing with ROAR in the issue. I seem to remember that the cost difference was well under $1.
The $1.00 increase in the manufacturing cost leads to an even greater difference in MSRP.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:36 AM
TEM
Tech Regular

Ok, so instead of popping in a pair of bushings; they put in a pair of bearings. Assuming the cost is up 1 dollar for parts. How much would a 29.99 stock motor sell for after it's been manufactured with bearings? A 19T komodo sells for 32.99 I know it's comparing apples and oranges but it should give a good indication that it's not a cost thing thats going to bite us in the a$$ and the manufacturers are going to make the money back in increasing the cost.

I think you should ask Roar that question... So far it's been Roar says do it, we do it and the manufacturers make it. Not the other way around...
Old 04-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

I'm not sure what the margins are for motors in this industry. But it works something like this. $20-$21 (hypothetical price) at manufacturing side, which means about $30 vs. $32 wholesale (with bulk discounts and shipping included, also depending on if direct to retailer or to a distributor), which means $39 vs. $43 retail. $1 difference can be difference up to $4 difference at retail level if maintaining similar % margins.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Of course it also depends on the market, and the industry. Skateboarding shoes have big margins, include royalties, etc. Cost mid $20, retail $80 ish. Sunglasses cost about $10-$20 if made near Japan with retail of about $60. Those like Chanel, D&G, etc. are most likely made in factories near Milan, cost $20-$30 and retail $200-$500 depending on brand, marketing, etc. A $120 Nixon watch costs about $12 to manufacture.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Actually, you could not be more wrong. The Electric On Road committe pushed for some movement on bearings in stockers. One of our members who owns a motor biz was the biggest advocate. We were told through channels that Trinity did not want bearings in stockers and they would raise the cost of the motor a MINIMUM of 10 bucks. Then we got more feedback, and were told it would bring the cost of a stock motor to 60 bucks. ( funny how that stock motor with bearings was 60 retail..huh). One of our members did more research , and found out that the bearings would cost .23 each, and no additional cost for installing them as opposed to bushings.

Come to your own conclusions...

Originally Posted by Unregistered
Old 04-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TEM
Ok, so instead of popping in a pair of bushings; they put in a pair of bearings. Assuming the cost is up 1 dollar for parts. How much would a 29.99 stock motor sell for after it's been manufactured with bearings? A 19T komodo sells for 32.99 I know it's comparing apples and oranges but it should give a good indication that it's not a cost thing thats going to bite us in the a$$ and the manufacturers are going to make the money back in increasing the cost.

I think you should ask Roar that question... So far it's been Roar says do it, we do it and the manufacturers make it. Not the other way around...
It will add $7.00 - $10.00 to the MSRP. Less to the street price. The reluctance to do this comes from the fact that you are raising the cost to the entry level racer who will see no real benefit. Our testing shows that bearings do not make a stock motor faster and do not necessarily last longer than bushings.

However I think most in favor of bearings want the performance enhancement that think they will see. But for those that want to go faster, there is 19T.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:14 AM
TEM
Tech Regular

What does 7-10 MSRP increase translate to street price? Probably a fraction of that. As for actual performance; I couldn't care less (if we all used bushings; its fair; if we all used bearings then things are still fair as long as everyone does the same). Just one less thing to worry about using bearings. I've never had bearings fail in 19T. I have had bad bushings in stock motors though.

I do agree; if it's more speed you area after go with 19T. I'd add to that if bushings are bugging you, just go 19T as well.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallstreet
Chevy Chase in "Fletch" !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.