Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TA05MS

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ErikO
Hello everyone,

I'm getting back into racing RC cars after 10 years (last car was a Schumacher SST2000), and I just got a crazy good deal on a TA05MS.

I plan on running Canadian TCS GT2 class, which requires a tub chassis, so the plan so far is to convert the MS to the TA05R chassis.

Now, what parts are required to remove the beautiful carbon lower plate and replace it with the R tub?

Thanks for any help, and I look forward to tearing it up with my new toy.

Erik
It's not as easy as what you're thinking. The MS is fundamentally different from the tub. It uses different length belts front and rear, the tub's belts are equal. The motor mounts are different, the bulkheads, the shock towers, steering rack, etc. About the only straight across conversion is the lower suspension and drive shafts.

I'd be inclined to race the MS in regular club racing (it's fantastic) and buy a tub TA05 separately. You'd spend a lot less money than you would trying to convert the MS.

TA05-R rollers are available all the time on Ebay. Just search "TA05". They're very popular for Trans-Am so there is always a supply.

Good luck.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:28 AM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

update to setup....
- raised rear roll center (inner camber link)
- front shock position more inclined

currently setting the pace with this chassis/setup against a field of Xray 008/009s, TRF415/416WE, Losi JRXS-R, TC5 and E4RS.

-Mark
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
setup_ta05ms_short_v2.pdf (355.3 KB, 199 views)
Old 03-15-2009, 03:09 AM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mok
currently setting the pace with this chassis/setup against a field of Xray 008/009s, TRF415/416WE, Losi JRXS-R, TC5 and E4RS.
I appreciate you sharing this - helps us newbies get started with something that works.

Just a couple of clarifications:
  • Is this an asphalt surface?
  • Would you regard it as grippy or slippery?
  • Fast or tight? What sort of rollout/FDR?
  • Is the 2deg camber + or - ?
  • What sort of droop front/rear?

Hope you don't mind - I've been making slight tweaks to my own car and have been quite happy with progress. Got thrown a curve ball at last outing when the rear tyres started to come off the rims and right handers gradually became 180deg spins.

Cheers,
Phil.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:04 AM
mok
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PDR
I appreciate you sharing this - helps us newbies get started with something that works.

Just a couple of clarifications:
  • Is this an asphalt surface?
  • Would you regard it as grippy or slippery?
  • Fast or tight? What sort of rollout/FDR?
  • Is the 2deg camber + or - ?
  • What sort of droop front/rear?

Hope you don't mind - I've been making slight tweaks to my own car and have been quite happy with progress. Got thrown a curve ball at last outing when the rear tyres started to come off the rims and right handers gradually became 180deg spins.

Cheers,
Phil.
no probs

to answer your questions..

- tuned mainly on carpet, but same setup is run on asphalt.. incidentally, those last changes i made came from running on asphalt, but worked incredibly well on carpet

- i think the carpet surface has medium grip, but can be slippery early in the race meet (rubber tyres, no compound), the asphalt surface has low to med grip, its a bit patchy (also rubber tyres, no compound)

- carpet track 1/4 tight 3/4 fast but technical with FDR around 5.9 (10.5T brushless), asphalt track long and flowing (nitro style layout) and FDR around 4.7 (10.5T brushless)

- camber is -ve

- 1-1.5mm rear, 2.5-3mm front droop

hope this helps!

-Mark

Last edited by mok; 03-15-2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's not as easy as what you're thinking. The MS is fundamentally different from the tub. It uses different length belts front and rear, the tub's belts are equal. The motor mounts are different, the bulkheads, the shock towers, steering rack, etc. About the only straight across conversion is the lower suspension and drive shafts.

I'd be inclined to race the MS in regular club racing (it's fantastic) and buy a tub TA05 separately. You'd spend a lot less money than you would trying to convert the MS.

TA05-R rollers are available all the time on Ebay. Just search "TA05". They're very popular for Trans-Am so there is always a supply.

Good luck.
I kind of figured that. I have an F103 as well, so I'm going to run that in TCS and when my skills (and cash flow) improve, I'll use the MS in GT1. The local club allows any chassis in their black can GT2 class, so I'll leave the MS alone.

Thanks for the info, starting the build today. Doing the CF chassis sanding/glueing. Taking my time on this one and making it perfect.

Erik
Old 03-20-2009, 07:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hello to all ...I plan to get a TA05ms soon from my fiend, but there is 1 thing i need to know; will the parts from normal TA05 fits in the TA05ms??? example like pulley, spool, diff, center pulley etc....because i used to own the normal TA05, and still have some spare parts...thanks in advance
Old 03-20-2009, 07:31 AM
mok
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mzack11
Hello to all ...I plan to get a TA05ms soon from my fiend, but there is 1 thing i need to know; will the parts from normal TA05 fits in the TA05ms??? example like pulley, spool, diff, center pulley etc....because i used to own the normal TA05, and still have some spare parts...thanks in advance
diff pulleys and outdrives... yes
center pulleys.. yes
lower arms.. yes, if you've upgraded the TA05 to the LW Reversible Suspension.. otherwise no
uprights, c-hubs... yes, same reason as above.. otherwise no
universals (swing shafts, wheel axles, cross joints).. yes
clamping wheel hubs.. yes
screws.. also yes

running out of things... that will do for now

-Mark
Old 03-20-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

thanks for the fast reply....

Last edited by mzack11; 03-20-2009 at 07:43 AM. Reason: edit
Old 04-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello

Been trying to set up my TA05MS for carpet and foams.
Running stock suspension blocks and 26mm 37shore tires.

Electrics are Mamba Max 5700kv, Yeah Racing 4000 lipo's.

Set up is as follow:
Front : 1 degree camber, 2 degree caster, 0mm toe, white spring, 40wt oil, 3rd hole top and middle down on damper, 4mm ride hight, droop is turned way down almost as it touch chassi,
Rear : 1 degree camber, stock setting on damper and 40wt oil, yellow short spring, 5mm ridehight, droop screw is almost as it touch chassi.

Running balldiffs all around, tested oneway but that was useless.
Going to test spool as soon as i can get the package from Masa.

The thing is... Lack of grip on the rear, tons of front grip.
Tested on racetrack today, it is medium grip, smooth carpet, very tight.
My F103 flies on it, best average and best laptime.

My TA04-R with reversible suspension is much better around track with Mamba Max 4600kv.

Anyone got set up tips?
Old 04-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Try 5mm ride height front and rear. You have too little droop if the droop screws are almost touching the plates. Thats why you are not getting enough grip. Back them off a bit.
Originally Posted by RossoTorro
4mm ride hight, droop is turned way down almost as it touch chassi, 5mm ridehight, droop screw is almost as it touch chassi.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hi guys,
Been running my MS in stock and its been going great. I currently have a oneway in the front but i reckon it will be faster with a spool as im pretty much the only guy at my local track running one, everyone else runs spools. And there are a few corners which i need to brake at. I put the spool in once and took it for a practise, i couldnt drive it at all. I wanna put it back in but i would like to know if there is anything i should/ can change to get the same handling characteristics as a oneway? I really just want to be able to brake.

Cheers
Old 04-13-2009, 02:13 AM
Tech Regular

You need to change a lot of things when going from a one-way to spool. Generally, the car needs more forward roll with a spool. Without the extra roll, your car will understeer heavily.

What kind of track are you racing on and with what kind of power are you racing with? A lot of tight turns and a slower motor (17.5) are things that make tuning a car with a spool difficult, but we could probably help you out.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Im running 17.5 on a not to tight track, iv uploaded a pic to give you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TA05MS-tftr.jpg  
Old 04-13-2009, 02:59 AM
Tech Regular

Well, here are some basic things I noticed about cars with a spool in comparison to cars using a one way:

1. Spools like more Ackerman.
2. You need increased forward roll and can achieve this by by using a different spring combination, changing lower shock mounting positions, and/or adjusting roll centers. Right now, I am using blue springs up front and yellow in the rear. The front shocks are mounted in position #1 on the front short lightweight arms and the rear shocks are mounted on position #2 on the rear short lightweight arms.

I forgot to ask, are you using the regular lightweight suspension?

Last edited by HI_808; 04-13-2009 at 03:41 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yes just the regular suspension. Thanks for that. Ill have to go for a test day to try and get the spool to work.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.