Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TA05MS

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 08:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Suspension parts will fit, but the pulleys will require alternative belts.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:03 PM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i'm having an issue with the rear belt stripping and despite trying a number of things i dont seem to be able to stop it from happening.

here's what i've tried..
- tightened belt tension from manual setting, no change
- loosened belt tension from manual setting, no change
- replaced wide pitch pulleys with non-wide pitch pulleys, no change

has anyone else experienced this?
and other things that i could try to stop the belt from stripping?

(btw, no issues with stock level power... only modified motors are doing this to the belts)

help appreciated!

-Mark
Old 12-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Tech Adept

Which brand foam tires and wheels can i use on my TA05 IFS? Thanks in advance guy's.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mok
i'm having an issue with the rear belt stripping and despite trying a number of things i dont seem to be able to stop it from happening.

here's what i've tried..
- tightened belt tension from manual setting, no change
- loosened belt tension from manual setting, no change
- replaced wide pitch pulleys with non-wide pitch pulleys, no change

has anyone else experienced this?
and other things that i could try to stop the belt from stripping?

(btw, no issues with stock level power... only modified motors are doing this to the belts)

help appreciated!

-Mark
The only thing I can think of is to check the alignment of the belt from pulley to pulley and use shims to correct it if it's off. That's a weird problem though. How fast of mod motor are you using?

I've been mostly using a Novak 10.5SS on lipo and I haven't had a single belt issue with my TA05MS. I've also tried a 5.5R for a short period of time. Anyway, I absolutely love the drivetrain on this car. It's even smoother than the drivetrain on my TRF416.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:20 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

If the belt is too loose it will skip when coming on power that will cause wear, it sounded a bit as if it were skipping when you were coming onto the main straight yesterday, perhaps run the rear belt a bit tighter?

Failing that check the centre pulley if it moves from side to side, I know I had to add a half dozen shims on mine to remove the slop, and that'd cause the centre pulleys to be mis-aligned
Old 12-07-2008, 08:32 PM
mok
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HI_808
That's a weird problem though. How fast of mod motor are you using?
I have been using LRP 3.5T and SP 3.5T on a large outdoor track, about 250m long non-technical. And yes, it is a strange problem! I never had issues with Super Stock or lower power levels.

On top of what I mentioned above, I've shimmed out the centre layshaft and that alleviated some play of the spur/center pulleys. I've also adjusted my ESC down to the lowest punch setting (figuring it was low rpm launches that were causing slipping) and also reduced the brake EPA on my transmitter (figuring that the belts could be slipping when i brake hard). Also, on the Tx side of things I've reduced my throttle EPA to -25% (hoping to reduce some of the on-power slipping if thats where it was).

Originally Posted by nexxus
If the belt is too loose it will skip when coming on power that will cause wear, it sounded a bit as if it were skipping when you were coming onto the main straight yesterday, perhaps run the rear belt a bit tighter?
Yeah, I could hear my car too..
I only had 1 race yesterday with a fresh belt so I wouldnt be surprised!

I think what you were hearing was a partially stripped belt clicking over the rear diff pulleys on-power out of the corner onto the straight. You probably could hear it when braking at the end of the back straight too!

Need to sort this issue out...
Its becoming expensive on top of the frustration of getting only 1 decent run on race day

-Mark
Old 12-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Are there any individuals that are running this car a carpet 17.5 with foam tires?
If so would they like to share their set up? Thx

Last edited by rctouringracer; 12-08-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

It might be possible that the TA05MS drive train is insufficient for that type of power. Perhaps the ultra smooth belt drive system is best suited for mild modified to stock power.

The reason that I am suggesting this is because as the car accelerates, weight is shifted rearwards and puts extra strain on the rear belt from driving the loaded rear wheels. Because the TA05MS has a longer rear belt than my TRF416 or other cars with more conventional drive trains, there may be a greater chance that the belt will slip under hard acceleration.

But if that is the case, you could probably customize a rear belt tensioner system such as the one used on the 416's front belt for the TA05MS which would fix the problem.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:58 PM
mok
Tech Master

It might be possible that the TA05MS drive train is insufficient for that type of power. Perhaps the ultra smooth belt drive system is best suited for mild modified to stock power.

The reason that I am suggesting this is because as the car accelerates, weight is shifted rearwards and puts extra strain on the rear belt from driving the loaded rear wheels. Because the TA05MS has a longer rear belt than my TRF416 or other cars with more conventional drive trains, there may be a greater chance that the belt will slip under hard acceleration.

But if that is the case, you could probably customize a rear belt tensioner system such as the one used on the 416's front belt for the TA05MS which would fix the problem.
I have to agree with this, or at least I'm starting to come to this view.
It does seem like there is a power level that just isnt suited to this drivetrain configuration, but what that is I dont know. Maybe its kV related to some extent also?

My experience with motors in this chassis is limited to..
- Nosram 13.5, no issues with this motor
- LRP x11 13.5 (3200kV), same as above
- LRP x11 3.5 (9800kV), stripped maybe one belt in probably 16wks or more (under 5 cell configuration)
- SP 3.5 (12100kV), stripped way too many belts to count now

Aside from belt lengths, the floating layshaft to me seems to be like a weak point as well. Under hard accelleration or braking, the layshaft seems to be able to be pulled either forward towards the front diff, or backwards towards the rear diff, putting the spur and centre pulleys on an angle.

I would much rather a new motor mount was fashioned that allowed for a center shaft arrangement much like the TA05 and TRF415/416 etc where the center shaft is supported either side of the spur/centre pulley assembly.

The belt tensioner idea is a good one.
I had looked at this before as a way of fine tension adjustments, but now it does seem like it could possibly help with this problem.

-Mark
Old 12-09-2008, 12:36 AM
mok
Tech Master

I've attached a picture that shows some wear on one of the blue annodised "T" pieces that attaches to the rear of the motor mount.

Curious if this wear here is common?

I am wondering whether or not low wind brushless motors, spinning above a certain RPM, may cause the belts to flap around and make contact with that corner resulting in belt wear on the rear belt. The belt passes pretty close to that corner on my chassis, probably only 1mm away and easily touches when the belts are pressed lightly.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TA05MS-dsc00052_640.jpg  
Old 12-09-2008, 02:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

dont worry about that i run my car with a standard 540j and i have the same thing happening there.

although in saying that the higher rpm may cause teh belts to catch or something???
Old 12-09-2008, 02:40 AM
Tech Regular

That support is worn down on my car too. Considering that you are using a 3.5, I agree that the contact may be what is wearing your belt out. When I reflect on it, I used my 5.5 in my TA05R for a long time on 6 cells and did not strip any belts. Furthermore, the TA05R has an even longer rear belt than the TA05MS, so the load on the rear belt theory is probably incorrect.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:27 AM
mok
Tech Master

That support is worn down on my car too. Considering that you are using a 3.5, I agree that the contact may be what is wearing your belt out. When I reflect on it, I used my 5.5 in my TA05R for a long time on 6 cells and did not strip any belts. Furthermore, the TA05R has an even longer rear belt than the TA05MS, so the load on the rear belt theory is probably incorrect.
I am guessing that the belt flapping, no matter what power level, will cause that wear there. The problem is, to avoid that and rule it out of the equation, I'm either going to have to flip the diff tension adjusters and raise the height of the diff (adjusting roll centre along the way) or tension the belts tighter than I want to so it doesnt flap around (which would probably cause wear on the belt from excess tension over the pulleys.

I am just starting to think that 6 cell power levels on 3.5T motors is just too much. 89540rpm is what this motor calculates out to @ 7.4V (lipo) and thats just waaaay too much regardless. I will be switching to a 4.5 or 5.5 for next year and will know if the power levels were the issue, but I think at the very least a motor producing up to 40000rpm LESS than what I am using now would be easier on the drivetrain.

Incidentally, never did have this problem under 5 cell power on a 9800kV motor (compared to 6 cell power on 12100kV motor I am using now) so I guess that there is probably an RPM limit for this particular drivetrain before it starts to do weird stuff. I'm hesitant to put a figure on it, but I think anything over about 50000rpm may just be too much.

Also as LRP now say, the 3.5T motors were never intended for 6 cell operation. Moreso they were there for 4 or 5 cell use and now they even make mention of that limit on their new x12 tech charts (they say 6V maximum for 4T or less motors).

-Mark
Old 12-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus

Failing that check the centre pulley if it moves from side to side, I know I had to add a half dozen shims on mine to remove the slop, and that'd cause the centre pulleys to be mis-aligned
Shim both sides: or shim one end, not the gap between the mount and the pulleys.

Kevin
Old 12-13-2008, 05:58 PM
mok
Tech Master

Lately I've been reading a lot about ppl using the short suspension arms with good results and I am interested in doing this to the TA05MS.

From what I have read so far, it would require these..

- TRF416 wheel axles
- 44mm swingshafts
- short lower suspension arms
- 1050 bearings
- 416 uprights (front/rear)
- front/rear suspension bridge mounts (to bring track width out again)

Has anyone made this change?
Can someone confirm that the above is all that is required?

I am not sure if it requires a change to the C-hubs?

-Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.