Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
V2 OJ brush snagging issue >

V2 OJ brush snagging issue

V2 OJ brush snagging issue

Old 04-08-2007, 03:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default V2 OJ brush snagging issue

Does anyone else have the issue of snagging brushes in their OJ V2?
After about 4 runs on a set of new brushes, the brushes basically just get stuck in the brush hoods, and the motor will start to loose power as the brush wears untill eventually the motor will just cut out because the brush no longer makes contact with the comm.
From memory the positive terminal is worse then the negative, so I put on a Reinhard spring on the +, but it didn't help. But it does it on both terminals, and has done since new.
New brushes are better, but they still arnt smooth like they should be.

I have tried various methods of cleaning the terminals with ear buds, but it's clean as a whistle in there. I have tried to gently sand the inside of the terminal, it helped, but not enough.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-08-2007, 06:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

It wasn't a OJ-V2 But I had a mod Kyosho and the after market brushes were to tight so I gently ran them over a flat metal file until they didn't get hung any more. That is I ran each brush over the file to kinda file them down just a touch.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Correct me if I am wrong but the V2 has round brushes right? If so I have a brand new team Brood motor with the round brushes. I got about three runs and had the same problem so I installed the extra set that came with the motor and the motor did the same thing and has never run again. Now it is a paper weight in my pit box.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:48 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by jackh
Correct me if I am wrong but the V2 has round brushes right? If so I have a brand new team Brood motor with the round brushes. I got about three runs and had the same problem so I installed the extra set that came with the motor and the motor did the same thing and has never run again. Now it is a paper weight in my pit box.
I'm not sure of the motor? That changes the scenario.
But I would guess if the brush fits to tight maybe if he flattens an edge on part of it, it might free it up?
Buy even flattening 3 sides just slightly would put enough air gap in there for it to move freely?
Heck you might be able to retire that paper weight and get some better use of it.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:53 AM
Tech Initiate

if im not mistaken the v2 OJ has a smaller brush diameter because the brush hoods are smaller in diameter too compared to an ordinary v2 mod
Old 04-08-2007, 06:58 AM
Tech Lord

Sounds like we are going to need pics?
Its sounds like there are some burrs in the tube where the brush comes out of the brush sleeve. If there not flanged when they cut the tube there could be a burr? I would look in the hood to see see if the tube is flanged and if not get some thing round and try to flange the sleeve on the inside of the hood.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Actually it looks round, but I've found that the brushes are a little oval. That's why it is so important that you insert them in the perfect angle, else they will get stuck in the hood or possibly break.

I figured this out after breaking 2 brushes ;-). The explanation was quite obvious once I figured it out. So just be really careful when inserting the brushes and you'll be fine.

Good luck!
Old 04-08-2007, 08:55 AM
Tech Lord

That would make sense. That way the brush will keep a consistent angle with out spinning.

Cancel the pics.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Make sure the brush tubes are clean.

You really shouldn't have any problems.
The V2 design in its latest OJ version is very reliable and performs extremely well.

Just make sure everthing is clean after each run. Spend a few minutes to take the brushes out and clean the tubes.
Do not file them in order to change the diameter of the brushes.. they are a very close fit inside the tube to produce maximum contact as most of the current passes through the brush tubes to the brushes. This way performance increases.

If you do notice that regardless of how clean the brush tubes are, the brush continues to bind, then use some polishing cream round the brush, not the tube, just to make it a bit smoother and then it should slide inside the tube with ease.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

It could also be how you are soldering the pigtail to the motor...

Make sure you leave enough "play" in the pigtail to allow the brush to move freely without getting caught on anything.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

Ive noticed something very strange with my V2's. On both V2's that ive owned, bot of the brush tubes have bent at the end where the brushes contact the comm. I could never think of why this would happen.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

Probably a sticky brush. its when you get gunk (dust or dirt) in the brushes which clogs them. You need to move the brush up and down to loosen the rubbish and spring
Old 04-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Switch Blade
Ive noticed something very strange with my V2's. On both V2's that ive owned, bot of the brush tubes have bent at the end where the brushes contact the comm. I could never think of why this would happen.
We had exactly the same problem with a V2 in a 1/12th it had a few knocks and moved out the endbell bearing and the arm rubbed against the brush hoods burring the ends and fouling the brush.

Coons were you having the problem at AMAC maybe it was the carpet dust as Matt was having the same problem in his 12th but it settled down later in the night.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

It happens everywhere, doesn't matter what surface I run on.
I like the idea of using some polish cream. I will take it apart and clean it again and try that.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No, this does not happen everywhere. The new 3,8 mm brushes can hang up and break on random motors. We first saw it at the DHI cup where Oscar had to hand-drill/polish the tubes on tons of sealed 19T Element motors competitors had bought at the race and were not allowed to open up (the new ones with the Oscar endbell). Almost noone uses it here anymore because of that...only the old version (which was quicker anyway).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.